Most Effective way of removing Aiptisia

What is the most effective way or removing aiptisia

• Total voters

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
you forgot blowtorch, explosives, and the ever popular , throwing all the rock away and starting over. I like the peppermintnija troops my self

CATALYST

I've tried joe's, alk, boiling water. The only time they vanished was the peppermint shrimp.

PEMfish

I'd say peppermint shrimp because any manual method ( boiling water ) can only get what is seen, leaving a small army of them. Chemicals are not approved by me unless necessary due to possible complications. And getting a new fish for the utility like that,,, no way man.

djbacon

Ive had good luck with Joes, but a few weeks later there is always a new one in another location. :-(

plecosword

I knew it was like that, chemicals only kill individuals, I boiled all the small ones and the large one, the large one survived, and a ton more popped up. I had a red reef hermit, but never did anything. Im getting a peppermint next.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
images-7.jpg

koffee

I never seen any in my tank, but I have 2 peppermint shrimp, so that's what I voted for. I don't know if I just avoided them, or the shrimp got them before I noticed.

I have found some in my caulerpa in the fuge, so I could have voted other: prune back the caulerpa.

Emg

Definitely the peppermints ! I had a raging infestation of aptasia in my reef. I tried peppermints...but my six line wrasse ate the shrimp !! :mad:

Got rid of the wrasse...(sold it at the local reef meeting...beautiful fish, but dang..I had to get rid of that aptasia !) I bought a bag of pepps at that same meeting and tossed them into the tank with the nasty aptasia. It took the shrimp about 2 weeks before they started munching......but I started noticing patches here and there of the ugly weed disappearing...until now...not a single one left in the tank, that I can see anyway..

You Go Peppermints !!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Boiling worked for me. Not much is going to live through that if done right. 300 degrees for a few minutes should fix your problem.

Emg

The reason I like the pepps so much......THEY take care of the problem...I don't have to do a thing but toss them in there. After that I never have to squirt again ! :p

SJS

I am going to go with other - i have tried the boiling water - took care of them - for awhile - same one's grew back so I must not have gotten it into the base. Then I tried Kalk - same result. I have now taken out the piece of rock and spot treated it with muriatic acid. I will let you know the results.
I dont want to add a critter to eat a few (5) offending weeds.
I think the best defense to these things is inspecting every rock you put intot he tank. I know mine came from a mushroom rock. Had it in QT found both aptaisia and bubble coral. Got rid of it - so I thought - put it in the dt - both came back. Said rock is now back in QT...

msbdiving

I have tried the aiptasia stuff from blue vet with no luck. I also have tried peppermints and never saw any reduction. The aiptasia are small and have not grown in size but I find new colonies poping up every now and then.

With that being said, I am not sure if the peppermints were tank raised and never got a taste for it or had too much other stuff to eat. So for now, I will go with the nuclear bomb response.

plecosword

I am going to go with other - i have tried the boiling water - took care of them - for awhile - same one's grew back so I must not have gotten it into the base. Then I tried Kalk - same result. I have now taken out the piece of rock and spot treated it with muriatic acid. I will let you know the results.
I dont want to add a critter to eat a few (5) offending weeds.
I think the best defense to these things is inspecting every rock you put intot he tank. I know mine came from a mushroom rock. Had it in QT found both aptaisia and bubble coral. Got rid of it - so I thought - put it in the dt - both came back. Said rock is now back in QT...
I have seen their babies that are jelly fish swimming around, size of copepods, so you still may have some even when killing the large ones. boiling water works with small ones.