"Balling Method" for supplementing

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just cost $36 for 250 ml of Fauna Marine UltraminS, plus Fedex shipping. Aquarium Specialty

Therefore $63 for the Fauna Marine UltraminS. That on top of a little over $100 for the NaCl free salt mix, with shipping This is gonna get expensive. At least I can lower some what the amount of Super Selco I enrich my live food with. But Super Selco cost 1/2 as much as Fauna Marine UltraminS including shipping, but no trace elements in the Super Selco.

Anybody know anything about these UK made controllers and dosing pumps? Maybe our German reefers, Ralph, Heinz?

GHL Profilux Aquatic Computer (Controller) Sold here by Advanced Reef.
Computers :: Profilux :: Aquarium Controllers...
GHL Profilux (UK) Dosing Pumps Write up here.
GHL Profilux (UK) Dosing Pumps
Dosing Pump sold here by Aquarium Speciality in USA.
Aquarium Specialty

I assume after having read the description of the controller units that the quite expensive GHL controller just supplies switching to a110 AC power strip which in turn supplies power to each individual dosing pump. It appears that each pump would require a seperate power circuit just as with an American made controller. As an American made power strip cost about $150 versus (and controlls 8 outlets) the UK power strip cost of $350 (controls 6 outlets) the fact that a US controller would work is great. However, I was not able on any site to find out how many lobes are on the pumps wheel which squeezes the tube on the peristaltic pumps.

Last edited:

lcstorc

I know in one conversation with Heinz the dosing pump is not actuall "required" It certainly makes it a lot easier but you can add the the three at seperate times. He said you just don't want to add all 3 at once you want to have about 1/2 hour between each solution.
I'm still looking for the dosing pump though since that would be so much easier.

hma

Just cost $36 for 250 ml of Fauna Marine UltraminS, plus Fedex shipping. Aquarium Specialty

Therefore $63 for the Fauna Marine UltraminS. That on top of a little over $100 for the NaCl free salt mix, with shipping This is gonna get expensive. At least I can lower some what the amount of Super Selco I enrich my live food with. But Super Selco cost 1/2 as much as Fauna Marine UltraminS including shipping, but no trace elements in the Super Selco.

Anybody know anything about these UK made controllers and dosing pumps? Maybe our German reefers, Ralph, Heinz?

GHL Profilux Aquatic Computer (Controller) Sold here by Advanced Reef.
Computers*::*Profilux*::*Aquarium*Controllers...
GHL Profilux (UK) Dosing Pumps Write up here.
GHL Profilux (UK) Dosing Pumps
Dosing Pump sold here by Aquarium Speciality in USA.
Aquarium Specialty

I assume after having read the description of the controller units that the quite expensive GHL controller just supplies switching to a110 AC power strip which in turn supplies power to each individual dosing pump. It appears that each pump would require a seperate power circuit just as with an American made controller. As an American made power strip cost about $150 versus (and controlls 8 outlets) the UK power strip cost of $350 (controls 6 outlets) the fact that a US controller would work is great. However, I was not able on any site to find out how many lobes are on the pumps wheel which squeezes the tube on the peristaltic pumps.

Hi fatman..... yes, I know this aquarium computer very well, he comes, by the way, from Germany, not from England. It is one of the best AC I know and is much cheaper than e.g. IKS ( I use (btw also a german product)).

Lynn is right. You must absolutely not use an AC for the dosage, you can do this also by hand.
e.g.: early morning, before one goes to work, one measures from Can II

If you in the evening comes back dose from Can III

And approx. 2 hours before the lamps switch off you dose the rest from Can II

One uses for it a very big (best 60ml) syringe.

Btw …. Fauna Marin Ultramin S is a CAN …. Not a MUST.

mps9506

I can not quite understand the need to change out the T-5 bulbs at 6 months though. I thought they held their output qualities longer than that. The bulbs are cheaper but that would still be at least $250 worth of bulbs per change out. I assume he would only change out a few at a time though, to decrease lighting change reactions, if the tubes actually degrade that much in 6 months.

Right on, I pretty sure he is staggering his bulb changes. Lots of T5 guys change half the bulbs every 6 months so they are getting 12 months of use from their bulbs. You know the ones keeping sps are changing them at a year or so to keep peak output from the bulbs, people with mixed reef should have no issues going longer on the bulbs.

fatman

Hi fatman..... yes, I know this aquarium computer very well, he comes, by the way, from Germany, not from England. It is one of the best AC I know and is much cheaper than e.g. IKS ( I use (btw also a german product)).

Lynn is right. You must absolutely not use an AC for the dosage, you can do this also by hand.
e.g.: early morning, before one goes to work, one measures from Can II

If you in the evening comes back dose from Can III

And approx. 2 hours before the lamps switch off you dose the rest from Can II

One uses for it a very big (best 60ml) syringe.

Btw …. Fauna Marin Ultramin S is a CAN …. Not a MUST.

I already have several controllers but would like to use dosing pumps rather then dosing by hand. I would like good pumps. The Profilux pumps seem to be good pumps, with a few nice features not available with the american pumps, but I want pumps with three rollers (lobes), and the data provided does not mention this matter. Do the know if the Profilux pumps have three rollers (lobes). It seems my controlers would work well with the Profilux pumps. I realise the Fauna Marin Ultramin S is a CAN …. Not a MUST. I would like to provide good trce element misture and I already use amino fatty acids so I can now do both at once and also cut down on my rotifer and artemia clumping problem at the same time by using less Selco for amino fatty acid enrichment of the artemia and rotifers. I must admit I do like the German controllers. I really like the optional remote monitor screen. They are exspensive imported to America though. Not extremely expensive though. They definitely charge way to much for their outlet strips though. There optional equipment costs (probes, outlet strips) are not as reasonable as the controller costs. I can not imagine the cost of an IKS controller sold in America, if the Profilux is a cheap controller.

hma

I already have several controllers but would like to use dosing pumps rather then dosing by hand. I would like good pumps. The Profilux pumps seem to be good pumps, with a few nice features not available with the american pumps, but I want pumps with three rollers (lobes), and the data provided does not mention this matter. Do the know if the Profilux pumps have three rollers (lobes). It seems my controlers would work well with the Profilux pumps. I realise the Fauna Marin Ultramin S is a CAN …. Not a MUST. I would like to provide good trce element misture and I already use amino fatty acids so I can now do both at once and also cut down on my rotifer and artemia clumping problem at the same time by using less Selco for amino fatty acid enrichment of the artemia and rotifers. I must admit I do like the German controllers. I really like the optional remote monitor screen. They are exspensive imported to America though. Not extremely expensive though. They definitely charge way to much for their outlet strips though. There optional equipment costs (probes, outlet strips) are not as reasonable as the controller costs. I can not imagine the cost of an IKS controller sold in America, if the Profilux is a cheap controller.

GHL sells and produces NO dosing pumps in Germany. Take a look at these side : Rietschle Thomas Internet Portal

The pumps of the Thomas company are used, e.g., by GroTech for their dosing pumps. Maybe you find a possibility to buy them in the USA.

The Thomas GmbH is a100% daughter of Gardner/Denver. :smoking:

Edit: The dosing pump sells by Aquarium Speciality IS a THOMAS PUMP :) (4 wheels pump)

Fauna Marin

HI

The GHL Computer are at the moment one of the best controller which are available on the market also the stand alone doser is great ans easy to use.

Fatman

Did not use Ultramin S in the balling light methode
You have good trace elements in the system
So you only need to buy the three salts and the 3 Trace element solutions
which can use very long time.
Thats all
If you wish to dose it on a automatical way then you need a dosing pump
with 3 pumps and a control unit
Greets

You can use Min S but better to use it independent to the balling methode

fatman

HI

The GHL Computer are at the moment one of the best controller which are available on the market also the stand alone doser is great ans easy to use.

Fatman

Did not use Ultramin S in the balling light methode
You have good trace elements in the system
So you only need to buy the three salts and the 3 Trace element solutions
which can use very long time.
Thats all
If you wish to dose it on a automatical way then you need a dosing pump
with 3 pumps and a control unit
Greets

You can use Min S but better to use it independent to the balling methode

Fauna Marin
Are you referring to Trace 1, Trace 2 and Trace 3 as shown in this advertisement? (See below link) They are Fauna Marin brand trace element Solutions. Is the brand name nad your user name related or just a coincidence?

Aquarium Specialty

fatman

Wow! Through Fisher Scientific it would cost $494.31 to buy the chemicals for the 6 trace element solutions that Heinz uses. this does noy include shipping.
However this would mean these ordering discrepancies in weights:
Chemical--------------------Needed--Available (economically)--Price
Barium Chloride-dihydrate----35.57 g---500 g------------------40.80
Strontium Chloride-hexahydrate--243.45--1000 g---------------41.85
Cobalt II-Chloride-hexahydrate---4 g------5 g---------------21.80
Manganese Sulfate-hydrate------18.46----500 g-----------85.30
Copper II-Sulfate-pentahydrate---9.82 g---1000 g------------186.21
Zinc Sulfate-heptahydrate--------8.8 g----100 g--------------8.05
Nickel II-Sulfate-Hexahydrate-----5 g------10 g--------------28.40
Chromium III-Chloride-----------32.45 g----500 g--------------39.20
Iron II-Sulfate-heptahydrate-----4 g-------5 g----------------27.20
Calcium Chloride-dihydrate-------------------From primary ingrediants
Sodium Flouride------------------13.3 g----25 g--------------15.50
Total = 494.31
Plus there is the $75 for the NaCl free salt mix (plus shipping). Plus if used there is the $36 plus shipping for the Fauna Marin Ultra S ammino fatty acid preparation. The other Chemicals are relatively cheap and readily available anywhere where it snows or gets cold. IE. Mag flakes is a common snow/ice melting chemical for side walks used in temperate climates. It works only down to 5 degrees so is not normally sold in Alaska, but can be ordered through Home Depot. Calcium Chloride is used at concrete batch plants to add to ready mix concrete if the temperature might drop to freezing the few days or nights after the concrete is poured. And of course Epom salts, and baking soda. (Figure $50 for the common Chemicals) That means (494.31 + 75 + 50 + 36 ) = $655.31 Plus shipping For Balling Classic-Plus

Balling light (50 + 41.97 + 36) = $127.97 Plus shipping

Difference of (655.31 - 127.97) = $527.34 Plus shipping

Just a little research, then there is the automation costs. Looks like the cost of automation and all chemicals for balling light wpould cost about what just the chemicals would cost for the classic balling method-Plus. there would however be a great deal of chemicals left over though. The up front costs though are substantial.

Balling Light is starting to look very good as the bulk chemical are readily available. The trace elements are sold by Ralph, we just need to figure out how to get them in the U.S. They would only cost (3 x 13.99) = $41.97 plus shipping. I have been able to find a lot of different Fauna Marin products for sale in the U.S., but not the three trace element preparations recomended by Ralph for Balling Light. They are the Fauna Marin Ultra Trace B solutions (Strontium-Complex), (Heavy Metal Complex) and (Iodine-Flourine Complex).

Frankie

RS STAFF
I see you all are keeping it simple here ;)
Just ordered my zeovit start up package. I have G.Alexander helping me convert my system over. I'll start a thread on it once i get it going next week.

hma

I see you all are keeping it simple here ;)
Just ordered my zeovit start up package. I have G.Alexander helping me convert my system over. I'll start a thread on it once i get it going next week.

Frankie .... the Zeovit method is completely different to the Balling method. If you uses the Balling method it is rather simple and without risk possibly again maintaining a customary reef aquarium. You simply stop with the dosage. Use you once the Zeovit method a way back to standards is impossible. All attempts known to me are ended with a collapse of the tanks. Zeovit is something for Reefer merely many colored SPS corals would like to maintain. Even the care of many LPS corals is very hardly possible under Zeovit as well as softies. Fish in the aquarium is limited, because neither UV-C nor ozone is usable. I know a lot of Reefer here in Germany them the change to the Zeovit method already many paints have been penitent. Zeovit aquariums looking rather nice, however, all must also function 100%. Quite low disturbances are able to the Disaster leads. Balling is harmless and absolutely safe as long as one not too strongly dose.

btw ... the chemicals for Balling cost here in Europe approx. 100 - 120 euros for 1.5 YEARS. Not really a lot.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Fatman

You have to look at the grade of chemicals from Fisher and the GHL is a very nice unit.

Fauna Marin

HI

I use the same name cause Fauna Marin ist my company and i don´t want hide
so everyone knows what i do

The most important think on balling is the quality of the salts nd elements which are used

Greets Claude

hma

hma

HI

I use the same name cause Fauna Marin ist my company and i don´t want hide
so everyone knows what i do

The most important think on balling is the quality of the salts nd elements which are used

Greets Claude

Excuses please Buddies, I have a short msg to Claude :bs:

Hallo Claude,

die Jungs moechten gerne wissen wo sie die Fauna Marin Produkte, speziel die Trace Elements 1-4, in den USA kaufen können? :threadjack:

Danke

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks hma :)
I too don't want to be misunderstood. IMO any method applied appropriately is a wonderful method. I have a thing for pain and tend to go the hardest route :) I am not going to recommend zeovit to anyone until i fully understand what i am doing and what it takes to be successful. I too have read the failures and it is very risky.
I will stop highjacking this thread now. It was not my intention.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
You sure are busy this week Claude

To all :D There are many systems that work and one can achieve the same results in almost any good system. Some are just more user friendly than others, some less, some are cheap and some are costly. All have disadvantges and all have advantages. And all systems are just opinions. What works best for you is the one to use :)

Fauna Marin

Hi Boomer

here also:) Thats nice :)
Just read the articles but most of them i just known in german

Busy ? it is ok its summertime so it´s a little bit more quite

Sorry ;-) to hma

Wollte nicht hier rein zum Werbung machen.Wie sind denn die Regeln hier in Bezug auf Werbung ?

Viele Grüsse :)