"Balling Method" for supplementing

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Craig, Doni and Frankie.

Frankie, the Gros Tech III can deliver a dose a small as 1ml.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Craig, Doni and Frankie.

Frankie, the Gros Tech III can deliver a dose a small as 1ml.
Thanks for bumping this dough, I forgot about my question to Scott.

Thanks for the reply Scott. To bad for me, I need something that can dose 0.5ml. twice daily.

yvr

I jumped on the Balling Meathod or a version of it about 6 months ago. I employ a bit of a cheat by using TM Bio Calcium Liquid which is a 3 part and comes in powdered for as a refill. The three main parts are essentially CaCl, Sodium free salt and NACO3. Reef keepers in Europe really seem to support the Balling meathod and although I only have been using the meathod for 6 months, I have noticed increased growth in my SPS corals. I am toying with the idea of setting up two tanks and start my own experiment comparing conventional and the Balling Meathod....maybe a project for the summer?

stealle

The links provided for NaCl free salt no longer provide results. Where can we buy NaCl-free salt (either Fauna or Tropic Marin) in the US?

stealle

The links provided for NaCl free salt no longer provide results. Where can we buy NaCl-free salt (either Fauna or Tropic Marin) in the US?

stealle

Thank you for the quick response.

Prior to finding out about the balling method, I was planning on continuous water changes of about 2% per day. Using the NaCl-free salt seems similar to continuous salt water changes with the exception of nutrient export. Meaning, continuous water changes will continuously introduce a fresh supply of salt water; also dosing the NaCl-free salt is essentially continuously introducing a fresh supply of salt water minus the NaCl. Would you agree that continuous water changes is a reasonable substitute or equivalent of using the NaCl-free salt?

Also, when using the balling method what is the ideal method of delivery of each part. I plan to use a triple dosing pump. However, you mention that each solution should be administered at different times in order to avoid precipitate. I assume that precipitate can be avoided by dripping each solution in different areas of the sump. Therefore each solution can drip at the same time 24 hours a day in different areas of the sump. Or, is it best to drip each solution separately for 8 hrs. per day each at a different time. (i.e. solution I from 6:00am - 2:00pm; solution II from 2:00pm - 10:00pm; solution III from 10:00pm - 6:00am).

This thread has been going for quite some time. Can some of you guys that switched to the balling method for 6 months or longer comment about your results?

stealle

Prior to finding out about the balling method, I was planning on continuous water changes of about 2% per day. Using the NaCl-free salt seems similar to continuous salt water changes with the exception of nutrient export. Meaning, continuous water changes will continuously introduce a fresh supply of salt water; also dosing the NaCl-free salt is essentially continuously introducing a fresh supply of salt water minus the NaCl. Would you agree that continuous water changes is a reasonable substitute or equivalent of using the NaCl-free salt?

Also, when using the balling method what is the ideal method of delivery of each part. I plan to use a triple dosing pump. However, you mention that each solution should be administered at different times in order to avoid precipitate. I assume that precipitate can be avoided by dripping each solution in different areas of the sump. Therefore each solution can drip at the same time 24 hours a day in different areas of the sump. Or, is it best to drip each solution separately for 8 hrs. per day each at a different time. (i.e. solution I from 6:00am - 2:00pm; solution II from 2:00pm - 10:00pm; solution III from 10:00pm - 6:00am).

This thread has been going for quite some time. Can some of you guys that switched to the balling method for 6 months or longer comment about your results?

hma

You are right, this is in fact an equivalent to the use of NaCl free salt BUT too expensive for the sustainable utilization and ultimately not needed. A WC of 10% every week in my eyes is the better and cheaper way as NaCl free salt is relatively expensive and you need less of them each week as in conventional salt mixtures is usually a bit too much of these.

The ideal method of dosing the tree balling-solutions is quickly declares. Since both the pH and the density in the aquarium in the early morning is lowest one doese first early in the morning from Can II the carbonates, then at noon the magnesium solution (Can III) because you should always dose magnesium BEFORE calcium as in this way is much less precipitation as the other way. Calcium metered then sometime in the afternoon or early evening when the coral-polyps are fully open and so the calcium is best utilized. :snshne:

stealle

Thank you so much for your quick responses!
The ideal method of dosing the tree balling-solutions is quickly declares.
My apologies... something is lost in translation here. I don't understand this sentence.

I guess I just assumed it would be best to slowly dose all three solutions around the clock. Hmmmm...

So let's say I have a 12 hr. lighting schedule of 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Therefore my pH will theoretically be lowest at 10:00 am. However, the lights will turn on at 10:00 am so the pH will rapidly rise. Are you saying I should drip solution II for a four hour period from 8:00am to noon; then solution III from 12:00 to 4:00 pm; then solution I from 4:00 pm to 8:00pm.

Just for the sake of my full understanding, tell me how you would set up your automated dosing schedule based on a 12 hr. lighting schedule of 10:00 am - 10:00 pm. Again, I plan to use a profilux controller and dosing pump. Therefore I will be able to dose as rapidly or slowly and at any imaginable interval automatically as I wish.

Thank you very much for your patients with me as I try to understand the best way to dose and maintain stability.

hma

Thank you so much for your quick responses!

My apologies... something is lost in translation here. I don't understand this sentence.

I guess I just assumed it would be best to slowly dose all three solutions around the clock. Hmmmm...

So let's say I have a 12 hr. lighting schedule of 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Therefore my pH will theoretically be lowest at 10:00 am. However, the lights will turn on at 10:00 am so the pH will rapidly rise. Are you saying I should drip solution II for a four hour period from 8:00am to noon; then solution III from 12:00 to 4:00 pm; then solution I from 4:00 pm to 8:00pm.

Just for the sake of my full understanding, tell me how you would set up your automated dosing schedule based on a 12 hr. lighting schedule of 10:00 am - 10:00 pm. Again, I plan to use a profilux controller and dosing pump. Therefore I will be able to dose as rapidly or slowly and at any imaginable interval automatically as I wish.

Thank you very much for your patients with me as I try to understand the best way to dose and maintain stability.

a perfect dosing plan :) , ABSOLUT perfect would be:

can 2 from am 7.00 - am 11.00 (carbonates)
can 3 from pm 1.00 - pm 4.00 (magnesium)
can 1 from pm 6.00 - pm 10.00 (calcium)

:thumbup:

by the way ...the lowest density as well as pH is around 5.00 - 6.00 am

hma

If I am find distributors of TM products in the U.S. why you should not also succeed? A phone call or an e-mail with one of the distributors should help to solve the problem.

Tropic Marin Pro-Special Mineral

TM USA "We work with our distributors very closely and do not sell to the general public. If you are unable to purchase Tropic Marin products in your area, speak with your favorite aquatic store and have them talk to their distributor. They should be able to order any of our products. We do not have a list of stores who carry our products, you would need to check directly with the distributor in your area."

U.S. Distributors

mitchjstein

After a closer look. I do not see NaCl-Free salt at this site either.

I do not know why no one has mentioned this yet. But a vendor over at Reef Central called gettankedaquariums, Gary is the owners name. sells everything needed for classic balling including the NaCl free salt. At a special request he even made smaller packaging for me. I have been using his regular salt now for about 6 months and everything seems to be going well. I bought all of the salts for classic balling and I am in the middle of setting things up including both dosing the Nacl free salt and dosing out the tank water to keep salinity in check. I am going to use the Profilux dosing pumps.

Mitch

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
If one really wants to look at this kind of stuff one should really look at the new stuff Bod from ESV will be coming out with soon and was presented at MACNA. It is all very high grade and above the others in purity.

Steedy

Hello all, pls i have a little question about balling need some help with this. I want 3buckets with 2L solutions.

1bucket: CaCL2x2H20 - 143g
2bucket : NaHCO3 - 168g
3kbucket: NaCl free sul 49g + MgCl2x6H20 760g + MgSO4x7H20 96g

The 3rd bucket is correct or no ? How many dosing can i use ?
I have a calc reactor but want stabilize the parametrs with balling.

Thx all for response. Filip/Steedy