ZEOvit System

mps9506

Don't worry boomer... I got the mop and buckets handy before someone slips and breaks something...

lcstorc

Wow! That is an incredible tank. The colors are fabulous.
Where would you find room for more corals. That tank is seriously full to the brim

G.Alexander

Thanks boozmann, the fans working very well. They are connected to a temperature controller which will switch them on if necessary.

Thanks Scott, Vicky & Frankie.

Thanks Lynn also. Space is a problem and it will the factor why the tank has to be broken down one day.

G.Alexander

kathywithbirds

Oh WOW!!! That's probably the most gorgeous tank I've ever seen.

This might be for Boomer or Frankie: what is the availability of these products in the US? are they mail-order/internet?

Hi Alexander, welcome! Very intriguing system.

Also, can we see a behind-the-scenes picture of this system, reactors adn plumbing and all? Thanks!!

G.Alexander

Thanks Dark Lord & Kathy :)

Here are some additional pictures:

Recent Skimmer

DSC06099.jpg

The sump is located in a extra room with the old BK skimmer

DSC05647.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

IKS Dosing Pump for ZeoStart

DSC05204.jpg

DIY ZeoVit Reactor

DSC00387.jpg

Schuran JetStream1 CaCO2 Reactor

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

Fan unit

DSC03399.jpg

DSC03398.jpg

DSC03400.jpg

G.Alexander

Frankie

RS STAFF
Did you replace the BK skimmer or just added an additional? DIY Zeo reactor, now were talking! If i am to build a Zeo tank it will take a lot of DIY ;)
I think the fan idea was genus. Simple, clean and it looks awesome. You have immaculate husbandry. I know a lot of people dread showing the filtration for this reason. Thank you for sharing :)

G.Alexander

Hi Frankie, in the meantime several companies build those reactors commercial so you can also buy them ready to go. I have running the reactor since the beginning as no commercial products where available. Everything else is standard if, we can say it in that way with the hobby :)

The BK skimmer was replaced with the recent skimmer about 5 or 6 month ago.

G.Alexander

kathywithbirds

Thanks Alexander! Your sump room is immaculate! I notice there's no refugium, is that one of the points of this system, there's no need for one?

blue_eyes53813

Alexander, How important is the geostart doser? Is it a must have? Also after reading the article that Frankie posted earlier in this thread, it states that ozone and UV are not needed or not recommended? I have both systems . I can get rid of my ozone but my UV is an inline system and would be hard to take out. Would UV and ozone not be good for the zeovit process or why arent these items recommended?

G.Alexander

Hi Kathy, I have just running a sump for the technical equipment which is relative popular over here whatever filtration method is used.

The zeovit system can be used with or without a refugium, personally I would not run it with a DSB. Keeping algae in a nutrient poor system is basically possible, however not all kind of algae will survive because of the nutrient poor conditions. I can observe several higher algae (mostly brown algae) growing at the places which are not accessed by the herbivore.

If one decides to use zeovit, the system and its components are used to reduce nutrients in addition to a skimmer and activated carbon. Nothing else is necessary to keep PO4 and NO3 undetectable while carbon has nothing to do with the nutrient reduction.

The goal of the system is to colonize selected bacteria strains to process nutrients in addition with a skimmer. The zeolite with its porous surface is among other applications used to host bacteria in a huge quantity.

Everything else with the system is standard, using a good balanced salt, adequate lighting, pure RO water etc. I would just not recommend to use other filtration methods beside it like absorbers, sulfur denitrators, liquid filtration media etc.

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

Vicki, the ZeoStart doser is just a standard peristaltic pump which can dose small quantities. Just to give you a feeling, the system is about 315 gallons and I have to dose 2 x 1 ml ZeoStart2 (which is the bacteria nourishing component) to keep the hosted bacteria continuously nourished. The doser is just used as a assistance. Its also possible to dose manual.

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

Regarding the UV / Ozone usage, indeed it is not recommended as it will die off the bacteria (dosed with bacteria strain product) until they where able to settle down and colonize. They are normally dosed 2 x weekly with 1 drop / 25 gallons. The UV for example will also damage amino acids / vitamins / fatty acid which are classical food sources for the corals and if the are added.

One side effect of the system is you will get crystal clear water without the ozone.

G.Alexander

boozeman

How do you like the KZ skimmer so far? did you modify the venturi?
do you use any suplemental feeding of corals other than the mulm which acumulates on the clinoptilotite?

btw, RS members, zeo products are sold by sponsor Aquariumspecialty ...in case anyone is feeling adventuresome :D

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Alexander and others

I want to clarify one thing hear that is misleading to a degree. It has been brought up before.

The zeolite with its porous surface is among other applications used to host bacteria in a huge quantity.

There is pore structure and then there is non- pore structure. The pore structure of zeolites is based on it pores size. There are no bacteria that can grow within the pore structure of any zeolite as the pores are way to small for them to fit into. Even nano-bacteria can't fit. All one has to do is look at the Angstrom size of the zeolite pores and the Angstrom size of the bacteria.

So what is non- pore structure ? When zeolites grow they may not always grow as a solid mass. They may have what we can call "pits", "vugs" min-caves" or open channels and these are not pores or part of the pore structure as defined in the nomenclature of zeolites or any molecular sieve or ion exchange media to include things like GAC.

With that said these "openings", as listed, can house bacteria. One thing that is known about zeolites, is for what ever reason, they like to colonize it more so than most other media for some reason or reasons which may or may not be debatable. However, this can be said of almost any substance. If you ran some growth rate test on different media, to include even smooth plastics of different composition, you will see different growth rates. Bacteria have an affinity for the certain surface types, whether it is hydrophobic, hydrophilic or is polar or nonpolar. So the question has been asked and can be asked is there some other media that may work better ? I'm sure there is but there is no reason to try and debate it or even really look, as the zeolites work great. So, old saying, " if it is not broke why try to fix it "

Something else to look at that may make the zeolites such a good choice. I will call it "bacterial-zeolite interface diffusion rates". It may be that within the intrastrutre of the zeolite and is actual pore structure, that such bacteria, as facultative anaerobic denitrifiers, can release unwanted by-products into the pores of the zeolite. There even may be some small ionic exchange taking place.

Years ago we introduced something into this hobby called X-Nitrate, now with names such as Nitrate Sponges. These are all zeolites of the Heulandite Zeolite Series as the end-mineral Clinoptilolite. The same stuff sold as Ammonia remover for FW and at times in the olden days as kitty litter, and floor dry. These are capable of turning into a facultative anaerobic denitrifiers. Does this mean use this stuff instead of the ZEOvit zeolites or is it Ok to use them as a replacement. I would not, as even all Clinoptilolite is not the same from mine x to mine z. Choosing the right Zeo to perform z, z or z is not an easy task, unless you know what you are going. Zeolite chemistry is not an easy subject when you start to choose the right one for ionic exchange, adsorption or as a molecular sieve. :) There are actually books written on this subject, just on zeolites and I have 4 of them :)

Last edited:

kathywithbirds

mix of Zeoliths consists of four different Zeoliths chosen because of their ability to reduce certain toxins in a balanced way. -- from an article by Alexander

SO... there's 4 media to choose from. Does this mean you must know which one to choose or is there some sort of guide to help you choose the right one? This could be a little daunting for us chemistry doofuses.

Also, does this mean I cannot keep a few ornamental strands or caulerpa in the DT?
I'm also curious about how the keeping and feeding of fish in a zeovit tank compared to not keeping fish. FOr instance, would this change the media I might use or necessitate more frequent changing of media or a different dosing schedule?
How about keeping a mixed tank, softies, Lps and sps?

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm sure they're seriously novice questions for you guys.

Boomer

Kathy

mix of Zeoliths consists of four different Zeoliths chosen because of their ability to reduce certain toxins in a balanced way

I have seen no evidence of this in any way. And would ask what toxins ? More than likely it is the strain of bacteria that fix to zeolite x, y or z better and not the zeolite doing any toxin removal. Or maybe it is part of that bacterial by-product release, if any, that allows the same strain to remove x, y and z form the system and where it can not be done using just one zeolite. What ever it is they seem to work, which is the real issue. I'm sure Alexander will help you out more as to the whys maybe. You use all 4 of them in the system and it is not a choice of 4 to choose from.

Boomer

Blue I no longer run any tanks, 35 years was long enough. It is in my profile if you have not seen it :) I know allot, as it is chemistry and biology. And zeolites are a field of geology, which is my background. For years I have been interested in zeolites.

The reason behind this system or other similar systems is what one wants from their tank and is not by any means natural so to speak. There have been a number of means to get corals to grow faster and produce brighter colors, which is what many want. Some think this is not the way to go and like more natural systems.

I fully understand the reasoning behind faster growing corals and brighter and more colorful corals. It is all impressive, just look at Alexander's tank. And you should see the older pics that where very high res. They really would knock your socks off. I'll see if I can find one.

Some feel such system are artificial and do not like them. So, It is all a choice. So, in this frame it is what the reefer wants and not really what some else may say or want. And many things in this hobby are 100 % pure choice. There are a number of tanks on forums that have been tanks of the month that look like similar to Alexander's and do not use such systems. However, the ZEOvit system seems to a good shortcut to achieve such spectacular looking tanks. If I was to set up another reef tank and I will not, I would more than likely try this system or the Italian Blue System. And more than likely the former as there is an Alexander who one can trust.

Boomer

:lol:

It is in my profile if you have not seen it

Well, it is not in this profile but is on most.