RSM 250 Going Topless

just purchased a great led system for my red sea max 250 topless project. it is called the illumagic blaze s-90 model. i had a look at one working on a nice rsm 650 set up at my local fs, i was hooked str8 away and i had to have one.it is so adjustable it even simulates lightning storms.its pricey but well worth it. i also purchased a steve t media rack, a deltec mc500 and a teco tr 10 chiller, tunze osmolator 3155 ot, and a vortech mp10. Finally managed to sepperate the two pieces of the rsm hood. a lot of crunching and cracking lol, but it sepperated without any damage. did you remove the two pieces of plastic that are hinged on the top above the wier? i have as i dont really know what there purpouse is used for,, maybe just to hold electrical cables and airlines is my guese.i have my light hanging from the ceiling and it looks fantastic.Almost ready to start my adventure into the salt water world. i love this hobby. will try and put pics up when i learn how to, so frustrating. thanks.

bmp

just purchased a great led system for my red sea max 250 topless project. it is called the illumagic blaze s-90 model. i had a look at one working on a nice rsm 650 set up at my local fs, i was hooked str8 away and i had to have one.it is so adjustable it even simulates lightning storms.its pricey but well worth it. i also purchased a steve t media rack, a deltec mc500 and a teco tr 10 chiller, tunze osmolator 3155 ot, and a vortech mp10. Finally managed to sepperate the two pieces of the rsm hood. a lot of crunching and cracking lol, but it sepperated without any damage. did you remove the two pieces of plastic that are hinged on the top above the wier? i have as i dont really know what there purpouse is used for,, maybe just to hold electrical cables and airlines is my guese.i have my light hanging from the ceiling and it looks fantastic.Almost ready to start my adventure into the salt water world. i love this hobby. will try and put pics up when i learn how to, so frustrating. thanks.

That sounds really good. You will have to get some pictures up to show us.

The plastic hinged buts by the weir ... If it is the ones I think you mean they are for hiding the cables that run over to the return pump. The cables sit down in the groove and the top bit closes over to hide the cable. Hope that helps

BMP

Thanks BMP that is what I thought they were for. I will put them back on. Going to buy ro/di system today. Still have to buy container drums for my water and salt mix.Need to buy hoses and clamps for my chiller and external canister filter that i will be using to filter the water into the chiller. just have to find the time to put it all together, cant wait, i do not want to rush this, as i do not want to make mistakes.

bmp

Thanks BMP that is what I thought they were for. I will put them back on. Going to buy ro/di system today. Still have to buy container drums for my water and salt mix.Need to buy hoses and clamps for my chiller and external canister filter that i will be using to filter the water into the chiller. just have to find the time to put it all together, cant wait, i do not want to rush this, as i do not want to make mistakes.

Not sure if it is hot where you are but I found that I didn't really need my chiller once I had swapped out the stock Skimmer and removed the hood. I have now disconnected it and not used it for months.

BMP

Hello BMP I live in South Australia and we have been getting temps as high as 46 degrees so def need the chiller.I will turn off chiller in the winter time.

002_zps6ab99bd3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks to nannoreefing4fun I can now upload pics. i have left room behind the tank as I may install a sump and refugium.I am very worried about my tank cracking as i have read many horror stories on this site.my waranty has expired but the tank is still brandnew. Fingers crossed all gose well, when it comes to filling the tank.I am now saving up to buy my live rock and substrate.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice start mate, love the Illumagic lights!! :D Such an awesome unit :yup:

Start a tank thread so we can all follow along :)

hello Wrangy, Thanks.Yes the leds are fantastic.I still have to purchase a few more items before I start, I will do a tank thread.by the way your set up is awesome.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
hello Wrangy, Thanks.Yes the leds are fantastic.I still have to purchase a few more items before I start, I will do a tank thread.by the way your set up is awesome.

Looking forward to seeing it then mate :) And thank you!!

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Do you not worry about jumping fish? Also, is it not really bright with the fixture not enclosed in a canopy?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That's one thing, you have to keep species that aren't known for jumping. I'm yet to have a fish or snail jump or make an escape :fingerx:
I don't find it too bright at all, mind you there is a lot of light spread around the tank but nothing that is distracting. Not even with all the lights off watching TV in the same room :) It's a very comforting glow (I have the same LED lights as Mark)

Hello Blackbeltmom, I do worry about jumpers, I also used to have a cube tank with no top and I had no fish jump out.I think you get more oxygen to the water this way.lights dont give off much glow outside of tank as it is all focust into the tank.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
sm_LRSM.jpg
I just spotted this beauty I am saving for this now.Wow what an expensive hobby, but well worth it. cant wait.

Start a thread mate!! So we can stop jacking Bmp's tank thread :p Post all that and questions and everything :) no harm in getting it going before the tank is filled, my thread started months before I even had a tank haha
His sumps and refugiums are amazing!! But be careful because shipping costs more than the setup itself doe :( I was planning on getting one when I was still planning on getting a 130D and spoke to him about it and he said he looked at shipping to Aus and it wasn't pretty, as much, if not more than the setup cost to make!

bmp

Hello BMP I live in South Australia and we have been getting temps as high as 46 degrees so def need the chiller.I will turn off chiller in the winter time.
That is warm !! I am in the UK and don't have that issue.

Your tank pictures look great. I like your lights too. Glad to see you managed to get your hood apart ok and use it to cover the back of the tank too.

Look forward to seeing your tank progress.

Good luck

BMP