RSM 130, 130D and 130C Mods

redsea reefer

Just checked out the link, it looks like a great fixture for the price. It looks like it has individual reflectors, does it?

TonyV

It has reflectors that are as close to individual as you can get while still being one piece for all 4 bulbs. It's very unique. I have a section view drawing of the reflectors. I'll dig it up and post it since someone else already posted it up on NR.
Yes it has a timer like my original post. It was a major factor in my decision. I don't need a digital timer to control my lights and I didn't spend $700 on an ATI Powermodule, but I am happy.

TonyV

Reflector

T5.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice choice Tony! The built in timer is a nice thing to have too! I agree on the true T5 bulbs - better lighting and so many more choices in the light spectrum. I also liked the way they have the reflectors angled on the outside bulbs, to get the light directed into the tank.

flynfish

I recently bought a similar fixture on ebay for $65 new for a 20g tank. It's not the greatest craftsmanship, but I really like it. Doesn't have a brand name but looks very similar , has the same features. It came with SlimPac bulbs, but I don't plan on having any corals that need much light.

Doompie

Well, i will share what i have moddified to my RSM 130

Hardware Modifications
1) Replaced skimmer with a tunze 9002
2) 3 extra fans on the rear
3) Replaced Fans in the hood for quieter ones
4) Added 10cm hoses to the original returning pumps against micro bubbles
5) Added Phosfate filter in the "sump"
6) 2x tunze 6025 streamers
7) Active Carbonate directly after entry in "sump"
8) Added 1 more 55W PL
9) Added 20cm LED strip for night light
10) Home made water level system
11) Changed timer for a digital one
12) Made original lighting dimmable with home made sunrise / sunset controller

Current project i'm working on:
Doompie's Aquarium controller V0.2
Features:
- DCF Clock (for automatic time synchronisation)
- Secured filling system (including alerting system)
- Sunrise / Sunset controller for multiple EVSA units (Full configurable)
- Configurable feeding timer (for max 4 streamers)
- Multi language HMI via a display
- nice housing (custom fit for RSM)

(- Control Dosing pumps (for baling method))this or next release

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
wow - some great mods - you have been busy for a 2 month old tank :)

Start a tank thread & share some pics with us !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Doompie - a few owners are looking at how to make the RSM lights dimmable. If you could post how you did that I'm sure it would help them a lot.

Doompie

thnx. i will do that later on.

I own the tank a little longer than 2 months though. First started with modifying it before starting it up.
The light modification is not very hard..maybe i will write a pictured tutorial.
But as told i use a homebrew controller that is integrated into the hood programmed with my own specs to generate the dim signal. That's why i'm building the controller now. To make life a little easier..
Most of my little spare time runs into the controller currently.
This is a big project to run alone.
Hard and software architecture is done, Hardware is still in design phase. Software is almost done.
Still some decisions have to be made..

drydens

I use the TUNZE 9002 and bought a media rack from In-Tank to hold filter media. its terrific! I Attached the Skimmer to the side of the media rack with the magnet. They also sell a replacement square skim cup for the TUNZE so you can close the back cover. Below is a link to their web site.

inTank, LLC