RSM 130, 130D and 130C Mods

Nowellsy SNR

I have 2 off those led's i might see what they look like in my 250

Nice touch Glenn i never thought off doing that with them

paulm87

I was just wondering where abouts can I buy the little rotational thing for my outlet pump? I dont know if I've made myself clear but on the 130d, the 2 little outlets from the back, I've seen people have a little rotational device which fits on it and the water is then spilled out in a full 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I forget what they are called (Terry has one & knows), but all the lsf & online companies carry them, they snap on the circulation pump outlets if I remember right.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi. It's a Hydor Flo - a great little gadget that constantly rotates the flow 360 degrees, and is powered by the flow itself. Most think it's cuts the flow, which it probably does a bit, but the flow is a much broader flow, which makes most think it cuts the flow more than it does.

Hydor Flo

Almost every decent online SW LFS (or many local LFS) sell the thing, and it's one of the lowest cost pieces of equipment I've bought, that works well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome again Galdrin. Nice mod to "child-proof" the tank - that may be helpful to anyone with kids that tend to open the hood.

cabolick

I decided to add an extension to the suction pipe on both of my pumps, because I had read a thread on here saying that if the pumps were mounted just an inch lower it may help. Well I used a four ( 4") piece of 5/8" ID tubing that I slid up on the tube. It helps if you remove the suction tube from the pump

DSC00942.jpg

You can see in the next photo the length on the tube on the suction tube of the pump.

DSC00947.jpg

Now when I tried to install the pump the whole thing fell to the bottom of the chamber. Just glad it wasn't full of water yet. That's where the TyRap comes in. I used a 12" TyRap to secure the suction tube to the bottom of the pump.

DSC00945.jpg

I would caution you that when you tighten the TyRap not to pull so tight that it distorts the suction tube case. It is real thin plastic and could break or leave a gap between the case and the pump, ie....Microbubbles. So just snug it up and try to get it in the little notch that runs down the side of the pump. I turned the catch part of the TyRap down on the bottom of the pump just to get it back in the chamber. You can see in the next photo.

DSC00946.jpg

I hope this will help someone, just don't forget the TyRap!!

Thanks,
Chris B

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice, well documented pictures of the extension mod! As you found, the TyRap is a must with this mod! At least the chamber wasn't full of water yet. :)

reefjeff

thanks for the mods, well explained
mine felt 5 or 6 times at the bottom of the chamber, i felt like a dwarf to get it back, i was like wtf my arms are shorter than yesterday....lol
this mod will reduce the microbubble as well ??
peace
jeff

cabolick

thanks for the mods, well explained
this mod will reduce the microbubble as well ??
peace
jeff

Jeff,
I'm not sure if this will reduce the microbubbles as I have yet to ge make take filled. I'm planning on adding LR and water this coming Friday so it may take a couple of days to really know. Like I said in my first post I remember reading a thread where someone said they wished the suction tubes were at least an inch lower so I decided I would lower my suction tubes from the start. Let me know how it works out for you and your tank.

Thanks,
Chris B

cabolick

Nice documentation Chris. Let us know how this works out for you.

I hope to find out if it works here in the next couple of days. The more I have thought about this, the more I want to get 2 more pumps and just use silicone to seal the suction tube to the pump case. I know that would seal it good and eliminate any chance of it producing any kind of bubbles due to a bad fit between the two.

Thanks,
Chris B

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I hope to find out if it works here in the next couple of days. The more I have thought about this, the more I want to get 2 more pumps and just use silicone to seal the suction tube to the pump case. I know that would seal it good and eliminate any chance of it producing any kind of bubbles due to a bad fit between the two.

Thanks,
Chris B

There have been a few owners in the past that have used silicone to seal both the crack/rim near the top of the pumps, as well as that bottom piece. The negative to sealing the bottom is that it makes it impossible to clean or replace the impellers without having to remove the silicone.

cabolick

There have been a few owners in the past that have used silicone to seal both the crack/rim near the top of the pumps, as well as that bottom piece. The negative to sealing the bottom is that it makes it impossible to clean or replace the impellers without having to remove the silicone.

Well, I may give it a try in the future if the micro bubble mystery creeps in. I think I would put a thin film over the two pieces and with a wet finger seal it up. An Xacto blade will get it back open in no time. Ill let you know if I go this route and will post photos for all to see.

Thanks,
Chris B

cabolick

I have grown tired of topping off my take every other day with a gallon jug of RO water. I purchased a JBJ ATO unit after researching the ATO units that are out there. I wanted to use a 5 gal carboy jug but it was hard to find one with an opening large enough to get a small pump in. I figured it wouldn't work if I couldn't get my hand in it. Now granted there are jugs or carboys out there, but I couldn't see paying $250.00 for a plastic jug.

Anyway I found a suitable container at Target yesterday that I thought would work and still fit inside the 130 cabinet. I found it in the pet supply department and it was to be used as a pet food container. It has a rubber gasket around the lid and it can be snapped shut.

DSC00978.jpg

The red tape indicates one gallon and the blue line is for two gallon. I think it will hold three for sure.

The next photo is of the bulkhead fitting that I installed in the rear of the container. It is a 3/4 inch fitting. I would have like to have used a 1/2 inch but could not find one.

DSC00979.jpg

This is a photo of the fittings that I used to go in the bulkhead fitting. The 90 degree fitting goes on the inside of the container.

DSC00983.jpg

This next photo is from the front left corner of the container. You should be able to see the way the lid folds back.

DSC00980.jpg

This is a photo of the pump box. This is a well know brand and I deemed to be reliable.

DSC00982.jpg

Also a photo of the ATO unit box.

DSC00981.jpg

Now when I got the ATO unit and opened the box, I discovered many different types of mounting options for the float switches. None of them looked to adjustable to me. The suction cups were a plus but have you ever tried to microadjust a suction cup. The it hit me after cleaning out the skimmate cup on the Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer. Magnets were the answer. So the search for magnets started and this is what I found.

DSC00986.jpg

After getting these I removed one of the various size clips that come in the package. They were threaded on the end and screw into the magnet. Brought various size nuts from work and found the right size. 8-32 threads. Now I need to find some nylon 8-32 bolts and washers.I found them at the local home improvement store, so on goes the project.

Photo of the 2 magnets out of the package, the right side is the magnet for holding the float switch.

DSC00987.jpg

Photo of the nylon bolts and washers.

DSC00985.jpg

Now the bolts that I bought were 1/2 inches long and need to be cut to 5/16 of an inch long. You also need to run a tap in the magnet to clean out the threads. This is a photo of the magnet mounted on the float switch.

DSC00989.jpg

This is a photo of the pump mounted in the container with the hose attached.

DSC00988.jpg

This a photo of the fitting outside the container that will go up to the tank sump in the rear.

DSC00991.jpg

The next two photos show the float switch mounted in the container beside the pump. The second photo is after the cables were tied up.

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

This a photo of the hole that I drilled in the lid to get the cables out.

DSC00992.jpg

The last shot is after it is all together and ready to install.

DSC00994.jpg

Hope this helps someone out there that may get tired of manual topoffs.If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris B

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice job on the ATO Chris! I use a MJ 1100 utility pump as the return pump from my sump - they're a nice dependable pump.