RSM 130, 130D and 130C Mods

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
drydens - good job! A high percentage of 130/130D owners have made the switch to the 9002/rack combination - it really quiets the tank down, as well as better skimming in many cases.

Edison

I've been contemplating what type of lighting fixture to get for my 130 and this one is now definitely in the running. The fixture will probably be purchased in the spring and that's right about the time they will have a 6 light fixture available.

I'm also looking at the Nanocustoms MH retrofit. It seems as though the USA Current MH/T5 is no longer available :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Correct - Current USA dropped the Orbit line of fixtures. I've heard they now market a new LED fixture under the Ecoxotic name. Still new (and pricy) and no idea if these provide enough light:

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixtures

There are similar fixtures to the Current Orbit, by other manufacturers:

Metal Halide Lighting: Marineland Marine Series Pro Lighting at Drs Foster and Smith

I think bhazard and some others have gone with a nicely priced fixture from Aquatraders. Some replace the ballast with a better one, some don't. Price is very attractive:

Odyssea Metal Halide System

Edison

Terry, I think that LEDs are a bit too new and untested to use as main lighting. I spoke with Jeff (Lifereef) and other local LFS guys and they all seem to conclude that we should wait a while for the LED tech to mature a bit more. The power consumption of them is however, very attractive.

Thanks for the links, much appreciated!

-Ed

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I totally agree with you Edison! Waiting a couple years would be best. After all, the Solaris lighting turned out to not be all that was hoped for.

Someone in here has the Nanotuners mod, but I can't remember who!

Edison

I just ordered the Marineland light. It was on sale and so thought I might was well grab it and get the one hundred off.

I recall reading that I should put some type of light baffle between the water and light and then over the course of several weeks remove part of the baffle. Can you suggest something I can use to partially block the light?
Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's a nice light fixture! I would just start out with an hour or two hours of metal halide and gradually work up to 6-7 hours. I never did the light baffle thing myself. If you want to baffle, maybe a couple layers of fiberglass window screen material & remove one layer after a week or so, and the other a week later?

Last edited:

Edison

If it can be done by gradually increasing the light then that's what I'll do.
Should I have the T5s running 10 hours a day which is how long I have the mail lights running now?

Edison

Oh yeah, I forgot to say Congrats and that sure is a nice fixture...

Thanks! I just bought a nice colony of light blue pipe organ and read that they like intense lighting. I was just contemplating getting the fixture until I read that & it helped me decide.
Just got a nice brain as well. Photos coming as soon as HP brings me a replacement monitor for the workstation. Just got the screen less than two weeks ago and it died last night :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it can be done by gradually increasing the light then that's what I'll do.
Should I have the T5s running 10 hours a day which is how long I have the mail lights running now?

I'd run the T5s for the 10 hours. I did while I was increasing the hours on the halide, and no problem.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Link to Matt's RSM 130 - LED Conversion

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-rsm-130d-4-aquarays-all-done.html#post756005

Want to be able to find this in the future - very well documented
1015.gif

Edison

Light is Here

It took maybe 10 minutes to set the Marineland light up. Very easy to do with the clear instructions that came with it. It took another 45 minutes to get all the times set correctly.

Right now, the MH comes on for two hours a day & the actinic lights are on for 10 hours.
I'll increase the MH by one hour a week until they are on for 9-10 hours a day.

I just checked Lifereef and my fuge is up for build this week!

Here's a photo of the new light.

Tank_side_view.jpg

Edison

Since the new light was added, the frogspawn opens more than it ever has. Is it safe to assume that it likes the extra light? It seems to be very happy!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I really like those - the built in timers are a great idea. How many power cords does it have - just one or three?