Search results

1. S

New Water Changing System

Since getting back into the hobby, like most of us I’ve always felt that water changes are the worst part of keeping a saltwater aquarium. Because these things are quite literally a piece of furniture, they’re rarely next to a sink or drain to ease the maintenance process. My bi-monthly ritual...
  2. S

Earthquake in San Francisco area

My family was just shaken out of bed by a 6.1 earthquake that was centered just a few miles from our home. No real damage to speak of, but all three of my tanks sloshed a lot of water onto the floor. I hope the tanks of other bay area members of RS made it through ok.
  3. S

What is this strange critter?

In my daughter's 30 gallon tank, she's been noticing a little group of tentacles popping out of the sand bed at feeding time. I didn't think much of it and just figured it was a little feather duster. She tells me that the tentacles are coming out like an inch or two long, so I decide to take a...
  4. S

Any such thing as flush mount reef lights?

I'm thinking about upgrading my reef lights, but I have a requirement that is difficult to fulfill. I have a tall tank without a hood to enclose the lights. Consequently since the tank sits so high the lights need to be level with the top of the tank so I don't have light bleeding out into the...
  5. S

Ever wonder how sensitive fish and corals are to sound?

Went out to dinner tonight for a couple hours which we don't do often because we have a yellow lab with some serious separation anxiety. She usually starts barking or howling within an hour after we leave and doesn't stop until we come home. We close up all of the windows in the house so the...
  6. S

Something we all can appreciate

This popped up on my news feed today and I thought that everybody would appreciate seeing some beautiful reef pictures from around the world. http://local.msn.com/outdoors/colorful-coral-reefs Click the arrow at the top of each picture to advance to the next one. This one appears after...
  7. S

What percentage of tank water do you change for maintenance?

Just curious what most people do for water changes. Do you try to change a specific percentage of the volume of water in your tank for routine maintenance, or do you simply use a standard amount based on what size container you have? I have two 30 gallon tanks that I generally do 5 gallon...
  8. S

Anybody own a bright red Goniopora?

I've owned a few goni's and love them. A couple days ago I was at the LFS and he had a thumb size frag of goniopora but they were short, not long like my existing ones. I've read that these are among the easiest ones to raise but so far it hasn't been opening up much and I was just curious what...
  9. S

Fish keep dropping dead

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a few fish and corals that's doing great, but my daughter has a 30 combo reef/FOWLR tank and she can't seem to catch a break. Practically every fish we put in there dies from different diseases (I think) and I'm at a loss to explain why. I do all of the...
  10. S

Looking for Coral suggestions

My 70 gallon reef tank is about 9 months old progressing nicely. I need to find something good for the peak of my rock structure. Here is a picture of what I have. I have a deep tank (32 inches) with a high rock structure. The peak is roughly 8 inches below the water surface and naturally...
  11. S

Open Brain Coral Question

I have a question for you brain coral experts. I have a green one on my rock work that is doing just ok. When I bought it from the lfs half was kind of bleached out and I assumed dead, so they gave me a great price on it. I put it in my tank about 6 months ago and the half that was bleached out...
  12. S

Thinking of starting 10 gal nano with natural filtration only

So I've had a bug to start a nano over the last few weeks. My 75 gallon reef is progressing nicely and the urge to start something different is strong. So I'm browsing Google images the other day and I came across this. The write-up on the tank can be found here...
  13. S

Help Identifying

A friend gave me a few frags earlier this week and I can't positively identify this one. I believe it's a ricordea yuma, in which case from what I've read it will probably be dead within a couple weeks. The tips glow orange under the actinics. Since I've never had a ricordea before I wasn't sure...
  14. S

What type of general water flow do you prefer in your reef tank?

I'm in the process of converting a 150 FOWLR tank to a reef. I usually position my power heads so they create a circular motion in the water with a subtle vortex in the center of the tank. All of the gunk tends to settle in there and the CUC likes to hang out in that area and keep things clear...
  15. S

Compact Fluorescents on a reef tank?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but a search didn't find anything. I have a 150 that's been a FOWLR tank for over a year. It's been miserable most of the time with diseases that have killed most of the fish and just a general pain in the butt. I was going to change it to a predator...
  16. S

Disease or parasitic problem, at my wits end............

Several weeks ago my 150 FOWLR tank had an outbreak of something and it looks like the problem is still there. I had about a dozen fish that had been happy and healthy for months. Then I decided to add a long nosed butterfly to the mix. I put him in a quarantine tank for 3 weeks and he seemed...
  17. S

Starting new 70g "tall" reef tank

I've never gotten into reefing because it always looked like a hassle compared to fowlr tanks, but I've had a change of heart after having my 150g display tank crash recently, so I picked up a new tank and have decided it's finally time. The DT crash is a different story that started with a...
  18. S

Starting over after a complete tank crash.....

Many of us have been there. You spend so much time tending to your aquariums and out of the blue BANG! they're all dead. I've kept marine aquariums on and off for the last 30 years and times like this drive some to leave the hobby entirely, but I'm going to try and figure out my mistakes and...
  19. S

New Member from Northern California

Hello RS. I have enjoyed reading over your web site for many months and finally decided to join. Your forums offer a wealth of experience and information that I have put to good use on numerous occasions. I have 4 FOWLR tanks that range in size from 150 gallons down to 30 and have enjoyed...