What type of general water flow do you prefer in your reef tank?

Steve L

I'm in the process of converting a 150 FOWLR tank to a reef. I usually position my power heads so they create a circular motion in the water with a subtle vortex in the center of the tank. All of the gunk tends to settle in there and the CUC likes to hang out in that area and keep things clear. Every week I like to reverse the direction just to keep things stirred up.

In my 70 reef tank, I have a large rock structure in the center of the tank and use this same type of flow in there. All of my corals get a nice gentle amount of flow and the CUC hangs out on the rock. Once a week I blow the rocks off with my power heads then reverse the flow.

I see many people placing power heads on the back of the tank so the current deflects off the front and moves in all different directions. Just wondering if what I'm doing is good as long as my corals appear healthy, and would it be beneficial to do things differently?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I think if it's working for you, don't change it. Sounds like you've got a good flow going.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
LOTS OF IT...nuff said LOL. I have a 75g in my living room still cycling. I put a WP 40 at one end, and an oversized mag 9.5 in the sump for return...between the two, i have LOTS of flow.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Lots of flow here too!! I have a 65 gallon with two MP-10s along with an Eheim compact 3000+ and a Eheim Compact 2000+.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Lots of flow here too!! I have a 65 gallon with two MP-10s along with an Eheim compact 3000+ and a Eheim Compact 2000+.

Same going to be here...ready to add my 2nd MP10 to my 65gal. I think the most important thing about flow is that there needs to be NO areas where there is too little of flow. IMO, low flow area have a tendency to have bad bacterial growth & that ain't good. I like that the Ecotech MPs have adjustable flow & flow patterns.

reefer gladness

+3 for lots of flow. IMO if detritus can be blown off the rocks with a turkey baster then there isn't enough flow, or it isn't random enough.

In my 58 gallon I have a 900gph return pump and two MP-10's. The undertow from the Vortech pumps is amazing. Multiple points of failure too so if any one pump fails there is still plenty of flow until I get home.

I'm in the planning stages of a larger tank and will be running a closed loop system and probably two MP-40's in addition to the return pump.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have 4 pumps in my little pico so you can imagine the flow lol

Oxylebius

I usually position my power heads so they create a circular motion in the water with a subtle vortex in the center of the tank. Every week I like to reverse the direction just to keep things stirred up.

In my 70 reef tank, I have a large rock structure in the center of the tank and use this same type of flow in there.

I see many people placing power heads on the back of the tank so the current deflects off the front and moves in all different directions. Just wondering if what I'm doing is good as long as my corals appear healthy, and would it be beneficial to do things differently?

I think most people will post that you need random flow over flow in the same direction. But, if it is working for you, then no need to change it.