Ever wonder how sensitive fish and corals are to sound?

Steve L

Went out to dinner tonight for a couple hours which we don't do often because we have a yellow lab with some serious separation anxiety. She usually starts barking or howling within an hour after we leave and doesn't stop until we come home. We close up all of the windows in the house so the neighbors don't hear much.

So tonight we get home and as usual we can hear her as soon as we get out of the car in the driveway. Once I get inside I look at my reef tank and almost every single coral is closed up and it's an hour before the normal lights out. I figure the vibration from the dog barking much have scared the hell out of the corals and they all closed up. Have never noticed it happening before, but I can't think of anything else that would have caused it.

DaveK

Sound itself is unlikely to be a factor, but vibration might be. However, the answer also might be none of the above.

Sometimes it seems corals have just had enough "activity" for the gay and get "ready for bed" early. Check the tank tonight, about the same time, and see how things look. You might have just noticed something that was going on all the time.

Paul B

When my Daughter was 16 we threw her a party. We rented the Coney Island Aquarium as you can use it for parties and weddings. The band was set up right in front of a floor to ceiling tank. I am surprised they let us do that. The fish seemed fine except for the trumpetfish who were out of tune.

3dees

my tank sits less than two feet from my stereo speakers. never seems to bother coral or fish.