Open Brain Coral Question

Steve L

I have a question for you brain coral experts. I have a green one on my rock work that is doing just ok. When I bought it from the lfs half was kind of bleached out and I assumed dead, so they gave me a great price on it. I put it in my tank about 6 months ago and the half that was bleached out and dead looking gradually came back, and now it's dying off again only this time it appears to be turning dark green like there is algae growth on it which I assume isn't a good thing.

The biggest problem I have with my reef tank is that it's very tall (31") so putting this little guy in the sand bed would probably kill it off because of the lack of adequate light. The other half of the coral expands/contracts and I feed it once a week about an hour after the lights go out. Not quite sure what to do at this point other than just leaving it where it is and hope for the best.

The picture isn't the greatest, but the right side of the coral is dark green around the edge where the algae is forming.

Steve L

I can see the skeleton on the right side. Is that part of the coral in the shade?

The dark piece on the right edge is the exposed skeleton covered with green algae. There is no live growth on that section. It is just more slightly in the shade because of the rock next to it, which is probably the cause of my problem and why they do better in the sand bed when there is adequate lighting.