Earthquake in San Francisco area

Steve L

My family was just shaken out of bed by a 6.1 earthquake that was centered just a few miles from our home. No real damage to speak of, but all three of my tanks sloshed a lot of water onto the floor.

I hope the tanks of other bay area members of RS made it through ok.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Oh man, glad nothing major happened! I know an EQ would move my rocks and they'd fall, that would be terrible.

Steve L

My main reef tank is a 70 gallon and is 31 inches tall with 125 pound rock structure in the center. When I built it I used a PVC frame to support it all and then lashed everything together with zip ties. Although the tank isn't strapped to the wall the shaking wasn't enough to knock it off the stand and not a single rock fell from main reef structure. I probably lost a gallon of water from the top and I have tile floors so it was pretty easy to clean up.

Dodged a bullet on this one.

Oxylebius

Glad to hear the critters in the tank are alright and no serious damage.

I've felt my fair share of quakes living out there. The earth was shaking quite a bit in 92-93 when I was living in SoCal. The largest I've felt was a 6.5 out of Big Bear in 1992. I dodged both the 1989 6.9 Loma Prieta quake and the 1994 6.7 Northridge quake, two large ones with lots of damage. I was living in the opposite part of Cali to feel these.

Been looking over photos of the damage in Napa, all the wine bottles and barrels that fell over and broke open, sigh...total loss of good wine - lol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Happy to read in this thread that there was no major damage for any of our RS members so far.
I hope everyone & everyone's tanks are good. These earthquake reports are so scary!!! :eek:
I look at my tank & see my fish swimming & being fully dependent on me to take care of them and it makes me feel sick to think of tornados, fires & earthquakes that leave us helpless to move them to safety.
Please God, watch over us & our fish tanks!