New Water Changing System

Steve L

Since getting back into the hobby, like most of us I’ve always felt that water changes are the worst part of keeping a saltwater aquarium. Because these things are quite literally a piece of furniture, they’re rarely next to a sink or drain to ease the maintenance process. My bi-monthly ritual would require that I fill a 10 gallon aquarium up in a back bedroom by carrying buckets of water from the kitchen sink to the tank. After de-chlorinating the water I would add the salt then a heater and power head would run for 12 hours or so until it was ready to be siphoned out of the mixing tank into buckets and carried to my aquarium. Of course this is after I drained 10 gallons from my aquarium and dumped it down the kitchen sink.

Last year I had to forego water changes for 2 months because I threw out my back lifting full buckets of water. That’s when I decided to build something that would do away with all of the lifting.

Basically I’ve built a 10 gallon water change system on wheels that also mixes the salt with the fresh water. Yes I could have bought two large Brute garbage cans, but after you buy the cans, the wheeled bases and pumps, you’re still looking at around $400 and I would rather make something very simple that does everything I want, and can easily be stored away.

So I bought a hand truck with a removable handle that can be laid flat and used as a cart. I added two 12 gallon tanks with large access ports on top. After mounting them to the cart, I added a 600 GPH pump and plumbed it to both tanks with gate valves. Then I built a PVC manifold with a few valves so I could direct the water flow where I wanted it to go. I had been fighting the urge to switch to RO/DI water because I happen to live in an area where the city water was of great quality and my tanks were always healthy. But I figured that since I was going to build this thing I should give it a try. I bought an RO buddy because it was the most compact system I could find, and it mounted easily onto my cart.

The entire unit stands on end in a closet and takes up about the same amount of room as a vacuum cleaner. When I’m ready to use it I roll it over to a sink or out on the patio to a faucet and hook up the water supply to the RO unit. Mine happens to filter 100 GPD, so I can get 10 gallons in a little over a couple hours. Then I fire up the pump and circulate the water through a bulkhead drain in the bottom of the tank, through the pump and back through a return line on the side of the tank. It creates a nice whirl pool effect and mixes the salt nicely. I mounted a power strip on the handle of the cart and have my pump and heater plugged into it. After a few hours I check the SG, clarity and temp. If everything looks good I unplug the power strip and wheel the entire unit to my aquarium. I hang my drain line over the side of the aquarium then turn on the pump for a couple seconds as it bleeds the air out of the line from the new water tank. As soon as the bubble stop I turn off the pump, turn a valve and the water begins to drain into my wastewater tank, all without having to suck on a hose. As soon as I’ve drained off 10 gallons I flip the valve over and turn the pump back on. Within a few minutes it’s done. Then all I do is roll the entire unit to the closest sink, place the drain line in the sink and turn on the pump to drain the waste water away.

I’ve been using it for a couple months and so far it has been a life saver for my back. I showed it to a neighbor who also has reef tanks and he loved it, and I’m building one for him now. I also obtained a provisional patent on the idea to see if I can have a system made entirely from injection molding and market it.

I realize it’s not for everybody, but when I go to my LFS and see people there standing in line to buy 40 gallons of RO water in 5 gallon jugs, it makes sense that there may be a few people out there interested in my idea.

Input or suggestions are always welcome.

reefle

That is freaking awesome. I love the innovation. If only I had more room in my condo to store something like that haha

Steve L

That is freaking awesome. I love the innovation. If only I had more room in my condo to store something like that haha

If I wind up making them commercially I plan on having them in 5, 10, and 20 gallong sizes. So there may be a size that works for you yet.

Snid

First off, pretty sweet. ;)

If you start trying to commercialize them, you might want to think of something more upright so that it takes up a smaller footprint for better storage (like a vacuum cleaner for example). Heck, you might be able to modify a carpet cleaner! :dunno:

P.S. Why didn't you just plumb into your laundry room water supply and drain and go right through the wall behind the tank? ;)

Steve L

First off, pretty sweet. ;)

If you start trying to commercialize them, you might want to think of something more upright so that it takes up a smaller footprint for better storage (like a vacuum cleaner for example). Heck, you might be able to modify a carpet cleaner! :dunno:

P.S. Why didn't you just plumb into your laundry room water supply and drain and go right through the wall behind the tank? ;)

Actually it does stand on end like a vacuum cleaner and I keep it in a closet. The frame is a hand truck and it does still operate as one. At the time I put this tank in, my main display tank was a 150 gallon in another room and this was just a quick after thought when the tank became available for a song. It was a brand new 70 gallon for $100 including the stand. So I set it up quickly and should have planned better. I should have thought about the drain, but my little laundry room is just that, and no room for a mixing tank of any kind. Plus my daughter has a 30 gallon reef in her bedroom and my little invention is great for getting water to her part of the house.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Steve L your ingenuity and creativeness is excellent. I would be VERY interested in one of these units for myself. I'd even be willing to sell them through my business if that is ever an option for you. Where on planet Earth are you located?

I say stick with it and you might be on to something that can make you some money or at least help offset the costs of your reef(s). When you can make your hobby bring home the bacon you've done something GREAT!

If you ever need anything in regards to testing etc let me know. I've got a long background in BETA testing everything from software to firearms, R/C vehicles and am currently testing some amazing new OTA TV antennae made from a military IED detection device design. Sorry to detail your thread... carry on and GREAT work :)

Keep us posted in this thread because... I'm SUBSCRIBED to it

:thumber:

Steve L

Thanks BigAl.

I'm located in northern California in the wine country on the north end of San Francisco bay. I've always had a knack for turning hobbies into a business. I spent 30 years in the insurance industry mostly marketing and retired from that about 5 years ago. When i was a kid I collected Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, and it never stopped. Since my retirement I have turned that hobby into a business and have been doing quite well with it. No matter what hobby I get into, I'm always looking for ways to do it better.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks BigAl.

I'm located in northern California in the wine country on the north end of San Francisco bay. I've always had a knack for turning hobbies into a business. I spent 30 years in the insurance industry mostly marketing and retired from that about 5 years ago. When i was a kid I collected Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, and it never stopped. Since my retirement I have turned that hobby into a business and have been doing quite well with it. No matter what hobby I get into, I'm always looking for ways to do it better.

30 years in insurance....sheesh, and I thought my 11 years as long!

Steve L

LOL, yep it's not exactly the way I planned on spending my career. Fortunately I wasn't a salesman but I had a bunch of them working for me. I worked the back end with systems and marketing. I can't complain, it paid the bills and I made a good living at it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
LOL, yep it's not exactly the way I planned on spending my career. Fortunately I wasn't a salesman but I had a bunch of them working for me. I worked the back end with systems and marketing. I can't complain, it paid the bills and I made a good living at it.

I hear you, everyone thinks I sell insurance just cause I work for the company......kinda funny. When I say I work in our corporate office they think i'm 300 pounds eating shrimp for lunch, smoking a cigar and drinking whiskey with friends.........when in reality i'm over worked and spend more time with my reef tank than my wife!!!!

Big Pete

Steve L

this is a winner, i have the same issues as you, plus a wife who constantly moans about putting fish water down her sink, where did you buy the two tanks as i have never sen anything like that, yep i dont get out much!!

fantastic idea and i wish you well if you decide to market it.

cheers

Big Pete

Steve L

Thanks Pete. There are a lot of tank manufacturers online and I found these two with threaded studs in the bottom which made them easy to mount to some aluminum L bracket.

My wife is the same way and doesn't like my "stuff" out all of the time messing up her kitchen. I just wheel this thing in and stick the hose into the drain and flip on the pump. No splashing or mess of any kind for her and I'm in and out in a few minutes. She's happy, I'm happy.

reefle

Steve if you do commercialize these, please let me know. I would definitely be down to purchasing one. especially if you somehow managed to fold it into something that would fit into a closet.

I'm doing a water change today and I'm already dreading hauling around like 10 buckets. so please make this a reality :)

Big Pete

well said Reefie, i would be up for one as well and dont worry about the transport to Dubai, I have a way!!!

cheers

Big Pete

Steve L

Steve if you do commercialize these, please let me know. I would definitely be down to purchasing one. especially if you somehow managed to fold it into something that would fit into a closet.

I'm doing a water change today and I'm already dreading hauling around like 10 buckets. so please make this a reality :)

Thanks Reefle.

If I do manage to pull this off I'll advertize on Reef Sanctuary, so everybody that wants one can get it.

I feel your pain doing a water change.