Search results

1. partypalooza5

Ballast?

Here's the situation: I have a 4x 65W PC light from Coralife. It works pretty good for my tank. A few weeks ago one of the ballasts finally decided to die. Now I only have 2 bulbs working. The replacement ballast is too much money, so I'd rather try to use a different ballast and re-wire it...
  2. partypalooza5

Was it the hydroids?

I have an infestation of digitate hydroids. I'm positive that's what they are. There's over 100 of them in the tank all swaying around and I fear that they are stinging the fish. My yellow tang seems to be dieing right now because of being stung by one of them. There isn't a ton of info about...
  3. partypalooza5

Clowns vs. Firefish

I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are doing pretty good. I added three firefish to the tank tonight and now the clowns won't stop chasing them. Is it just because they are new or is it because they are totally incompatible?
  4. partypalooza5

Don't laugh too hard.

I'm working on converting my 75G FOWLR (with two corals) into a FO tank. My question is where can I get some of those fake plastic rocks to put in it? I could leave the live rock in but it seems its just adding to my algae problem. Yea I know there's benefits to live rock, but for this tank I'm...
  5. partypalooza5

Bulkhead ?'s

Got a few questions regarding bulkheads, I have drilled my 40g breeder for (2) 1" drain holes and I am using the Eshopps skimmer box for PF-800. Box is only maybe 1"-1.5" wide. Bulkheads can only be inserted so the flanges are on the outside glass and the nuts are on the inside. (Typing that...
  6. partypalooza5

RO units...

This has probably been asked a hundred times but I just can't decide! :( I am looking for a decent quality RO unit with a reasonable price. (Not too much over 100) At my LFS I can get a Coralife type RO for around 60 bucks with a discount and store credit. I read they sort of suck hard...
  7. partypalooza5

Another 40g breeder build!

It seems with Petco's sale that 40g breeders are getting popular! I decided to start my own build thread documenting the progression of my reef. This will be a slow thread but I intend to take tons of piktures. ('Caus what's a thread without pics? :D) A little history... I have been keeping...
  8. partypalooza5

Strange day at Petco...

Started off normal... went to ask the sales guy for the 40g breeder. (Awesome sale, 40 bucks for a 40g woot!) He goes outside to the vacant building next door and doesn't come back for almost a half hour... He said they were storing stuff in the other building for the upcoming remodel. Sort of...
  9. partypalooza5

Petco $1/G sale?

Anyone know if it's going on right now? Trying to get my hands on a 40g breeder. :turntable If its the Aqueon brand, are those drillable through the bottom?
  10. partypalooza5

From 75 to 29

Due to my lack of funds, I am going to downsize my big 75G and start a nano. I've been keeping SW fish for little more than a year now, I realize that's not nearly enough experience but I'm still willing to learn. Anyways, I know this is a build thread but I need to start off with an...
  11. partypalooza5

Aquarium keeping... opinions?

*DISCLAIMER* I don't want anyone to get mad over this, It's just something that came to mind today while at the beach. I am only a hobbyist, not a lawyer/ethical scientist/PETA member/etc. Anyway: It occurred to me today, is it really "right" for us to be taking fish/inverts/life from their...
  12. partypalooza5

Spreadin' like crazy

I have a 75G fowlr that's a year or so old, in the past few months I've noticed this stuff covering my rock. I'm thinking its some sort of sponge... but I'm not seeing anyone else having it anywhere. It's cool looking but it's kinda ugly all over the place. What could I do to at least...
  13. partypalooza5

Growin' pods?

I was wondering if this would work. I want to grow a bunch of pods to add to my population. I have a fuge but I want to do better. Would it work if I took a clear plastic container and put SW and a portion of chaeto from the fuge (with pods in it) outside in the sun, possibly with an airstone...
  14. partypalooza5

Iodine

Anyone recommend a good iodine supplement? So many to choose from...
  15. partypalooza5

DIY self-cleaning protein skimmer.

I was looking through my parts box a few weeks ago and decided it would be fun to make an auto-cleaning system for my protein skimmer. It has been done before, but with a 1000 dollar price tag O_O So being the creative person I am, I got out the power tools and this is what I came up with! :D...
  16. partypalooza5

MH for 75G

I was browsing the used rack at the LFS and I spotted dual 175W MH reflectors/sockets and one ballast (just needs two bulbs and a ballast). It didn't have a price but I didn't bother asking, assuming it would be too much money xD. Now that I'm thinking about it, is it possible for me to build...
  17. partypalooza5

Euroreef RS80 skimmer pump

I bought an RS80 used a few months ago from the LFS, the pump was trashed so I just bought the skimmer itself. I put a QuietOne1200 on it with a DIY venturi and it "works" but its pretty poor performance. I got some birthday money and I think I found a line of pumps that are affordable for...
  18. partypalooza5

Kalkwasser?

I've been thinking of moving my FOWLR into a reef now. I wanted to boost the growth of coralline algae for now though. Anyway, I have an ATO system. Is it possible/right for me to connect a 2 liter bottle on the output of that and put kalkwasser in it to make a mini "kalk reactor"? (basically...
  19. partypalooza5

Calcium quick boost?

I have only just begun to learn the awesomeness of chemistry, but I think I already have an idea. Is it possible to raise the calcium level a little by taking some aragonite sand and adding some carbonated water to it? Wouldn't that, in theory, act as a mini calcium reactor? This is...
  20. partypalooza5

Oh ****!

I'm not sure if this belongs in this category, but I couldn't find one that fit. I have 2 feather dusters in my tank, they were doing great till a few weeks ago. One blew its crown and hasnt been out since, the other one I accidently pulled the tube apart when i was trying to fix a fallen...