Aquarium keeping... opinions?

*DISCLAIMER* I don't want anyone to get mad over this, It's just something that came to mind today while at the beach. I am only a hobbyist, not a lawyer/ethical scientist/PETA member/etc.

Anyway:

It occurred to me today, is it really "right" for us to be taking fish/inverts/life from their home and placing them in a box of water and sand that isn't always really 100% (or at least close) to their natural home?

It just seems kind of wrong to take them from the ocean (sometimes by harmful means), stress them out by putting them in small bags with some water in a dark box, then ship them across the ocean/country and then eventually into a fish store somewhere in crowded tanks where strange people stare through a wall that can't be seen, only felt.

I may just be a crazy person for thinking deeply about fish, but I have a love for these creatures. I realize 100% we are dedicated to giving them the cleanest water and the best environment we can. I also realize we aren't intentionally stressing them out, and the diseases that can occur from the stress aren't intentional either. But it's the idea that the fish/inverts/life were where they were meant to be in the first place.

Again, I'm not saying we need to go crazy and return everything to where it came from, I'm just saying we should be conscientious about what we are keeping alive in our tanks, how they have natural homes that are so much more complex than we as humans can really understand.

Anyway, Thanks for reading. :read:

(Hope I didn't offend anyone :flame:)

Val

Many fish are tank raised now so the aquarist does have options. You can buy only tank bred fish or aquacultered corals if you choose. You may want to consider the harvesting of fish and corals have brought a much needed cash crop to some communities over the globe. I can't fault them for taking advantage of their natural resources no more than I can fault the farmer, logger or other industries.

It's just my opinion that the controlled harvesting of fish and corals is pretty far down on my list. If a tank raised fish is available I'll choose it over a wild caught. I would still buy a wild caught fish and sleep well at night.

Just a few thoughts of mine on the subject.

Dweezil

You're not crazy, I've often had similar thoughts on the subject. I've also considered Val's side as well. Then I look into my tank and see my VERY spoiled fish and think. "Hmmm, maybe they would have lived only a couple weeks or months in the wild because some bigger fish would have come along and had them for a snack." I know that won't happen in my tank and that makes me feel better about the whole thing. LOL

landshark

partypalooza5, you are not crazy just caring. I agree with both Val and Dweezil to certain extent. IMHO it is the responsibility of every hobbyist to make sure that the welfare of each animal they care for is met. Also when is comes to removing animal or other critter for there natural environment I will only do that if nature can replenish it; meaning that if I know it’s going to have an adverse impact on the eco system then I will not. :read:

mbdave

Please don't think I'm being snide, but if it bothers you "don't participate" again not trying to be mean just suggesting.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I use to wonder about this also. Then one day I was eating some fish I caught and thought, is the earth not here for us to do with as we please?
I think as long as were responsible about what we do there is very little to complain about.

Luukosian

People eat millions of pounds of seafood the world over every day.....so I don't feel too guilty about putting a few fish in a box :)

IamELMO

The same could go for cows in paddocks, horses in equestrian events, dogs in kennels and all the other anmals we put out.

But yeah, an ocean to 100G is a big drop

Blurp

That does not mean we don't try to contribute as much as possible with environmental keeping...Here in Catalunya fishkeepers helped recover several species which were almost extinc in the Ebro river delta...we may as well try to buy aquacultured frags, raised fish and other little actions which help to a great extent...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The only problem I have is these pet shops selling fish that get to large to maintain in the home aquarium, and the fish that have a very low survival rate in captivity. This goes for both fresh and saltwater fish alike some fish are just not suitable for the average home aquarium.

There are exceptions to every rule but in general people buy fish that they have no chance of maintaining due to size or care but they decide to give it a try hoping they will get lucky.

How often do we see people put tangs in small tanks with plans to go larger but more often than not the tangs die and or they never get the larger tank, if people we're more responsible about the inhabitants they choose that would help a great deal.

If new comers to the hobby were better informed and didn't keep adding and killing fish till they decided to get help or get out of the hobby that would be a big help.

Little things like that would greatly improve this hobby and the environment in time. We don't have to take on the world to fix or change things the little stuff helps if people just think about what they are doing before they do it. This goes for everything not just this hobby.

Thanks for your input everyone. :)

Again, I'm no crazy eco-loving scientist PETA guy, I just love nature.

It's great that we breed some fish in captivity! I wish every fish could be bred in captivity, relieving the strain on natural coral reefs. But aren't the fish still fish? They still have instincts in their natural homes. For instance, a tank bred clown fish doesn't usually host an anemone as much as a wild clown would. (This is what I've heard and seen... not 100% sure if this is true though)

Anyways, not bashing anyone for keeping fish. I love my aquarium and the life in it. :D

Angel Fin

I expect & hope that a vast majority of the people you encounter here are in this hobby because of a great love & fasciniation of nature in general!!!
The pros & cons can all be carefully considered & in the end we try to practice the hobby with respect for the wildlife we care for!
It is good that you are contemplating these ethical questions............it shows you also care!!!!