Iodine

sambrinar

I NEVER dose anything, not really a need. The water change water has all the chemicals in it. IF your gonna dose it, get a test kit to check it. Never dose what you can't check.

I NEVER dose anything, not really a need. The water change water has all the chemicals in it. IF your gonna dose it, get a test kit to check it. Never dose what you can't check.

Thanks for the testing advise. This guy at the LFS said it was ultra important to dose iodine for softies. I was skeptical but since it's my first corals I don't wanna screw up toooo badly.:dryer:

sambrinar

He is full of it... trying to sell you something you don't need. My tank is FULLLL of softies, seeee, and like I said, I never ever dose anything

See look at all the softies in there... shrooms, xenia, toadstools, tons of zoas, GSP, all grow like crazy too. Moral of the story, don't believe everything your LFS says!! Check here first :D

FTS050410.jpg

Noice! I should know by now not to really listen to the guys at the LFS... Ah well, someday I'll learn. :D

I was given a bottle of Kent Marine Essentials or something of that nature by a friend of mine, is it worth it to add it or just pass it on to someone else?

sambrinar

thanks

No not worth it, cuz then you have to buy the test kit... but you can hang on to it and if you decide to start fragging them, you can use a iodine rinse to help them heal quicker.... just 2 or 3 drops of iodine in a bowl of tank water, dip the frag in quick then place it on the rubble where you want it to attach

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I always dosed iodine and strontium weekly without testing and never had a problem things especially softies exploded.

Now on the other hand we shouldn't do anything we don't test for and cause it worked for me does not mean it will work for you.

What i did was try it and see the results adding a little more, little less, to see the results in the end they were good and i kept at it. Sometimes you have to watch you tank and let it tell you what it needs.

BobBursek

Which I forgot to mention is detrimental for them to molt early. Sorry I switched to Google Chrome for my internet page and no spell check here, can not even download ISpell.

sambrinar

I always dosed iodine and strontium weekly without testing and never had a problem things especially softies exploded.

Now on the other hand we shouldn't do anything we don't test for and cause it worked for me does not mean it will work for you.

What i did was try it and see the results adding a little more, little less, to see the results in the end they were good and i kept at it. Sometimes you have to watch you tank and let it tell you what it needs.

Eric, what is the reason for your dosing??

DaveK

It's also possible that you had success in spite of rather than because of the supplements. It's often hard to tell. I do prefer to test, especially with iodine, which if overdosed can be toxic to everything.

Check out this old thread... interesting reading

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/mobile-inverts/23620-how-often-do-fire-cleaner-shrimp-shed.html

I agree with HMA's post! there is enough iodine in the WC water to re-establish iodine lost. think about it, how big is a shrimp anyway LOL

xD Good point. There are so many companies that sell things to "un-educated" aquarists, it kinda seems criminal. :(

For instance when I had an ick outbreak (that killed everything) I tried this stuff called Ick Attack, all it did was smell and cloud the water >_<

sambrinar

xD Good point. There are so many companies that sell things to "un-educated" aquarists, it kinda seems criminal. :(

For instance when I had an ick outbreak (that killed everything) I tried this stuff called Ick Attack, all it did was smell and cloud the water >_<

Yep they are in the business to make money... go figure!! Not all of them are like that, the ones that are rely on the "uneducated", but it is definately a good idea to check here first. I had one tell me that broze was OK to use in the plumbing... that a big H*LL no.