Search results

1. DAHansen

Return Pump Recommendations?

OK, I don't have a lot of mentorship in this hobby - other than the wonderful folks here - and it is time for me to get a return pump. Caveats: I'm going out of town next week for a few days, and now that I'm running Halides I have to top off at least once a day. So, I need a pump that can...
  2. DAHansen

Time waster? No. Time killer? Yes!

I wanted to share an awesome time killer - show this to the people at work who bother you too much when they are bored. Or, use it yourself to forget all those nagging little problems. It's a logic/physics/puzzle game. They don't require any information, unless you want to save your...
  3. DAHansen

Hydnophora RTN - Suggestions for saving?

My Hydnophora is having some serious issues. The tissue on the "shady" side has been vanishing pretty rapidly over the last 5 days (that I noticed). The tops and "back" (lower side that faces the ligtht) are doing fine. Nothing is touching it, though I think my giant Kenya Tree is putting...
  4. DAHansen

So. Shore, MA - Kenya Tree Coral for SPS frag

Hello, I have a Kenya tree that has become too big and has started a bit of chem warfare in my tank - damaged a pocillopora. Anywho... It is LARGE. If it had the room to spread out it would likely be 10 inches across or more of "branches" the main stalk is about 4" tall and an inch or two...
  5. DAHansen

Anthelia or Xenia?

Or other really... I'm not super awesome at identifying corals. I just noticed these today. They grew out of nothing basically. Each one is about the size of a pencil lead ( a few mm long), and as long as it doesn't try to grow over my blue acro cheapie (which is doing very well) I will...
  6. DAHansen

Skimmer Not Working Right?

I may be an idiot, but here goes. I've had an Aqua C Remora for a couple years now, and it has been apparently working fine. It pretty much runs 24/7. I clean the collection cup every week or two. I clean the pump and the rest of it every few months. There are plenty of bubbles and I do...
  7. DAHansen

Captive Coral Breeding ???

I think tank raised corals are an awesome idea. In the next few weeks I hope to start fragging some ricordeas - I have to get my frag "system" set up. In the mean time. I was wondering about the challenges of sexual coral reproduction in captivity. I've "bred" urchins before - but that was...
  8. DAHansen

I want to kill my clown.

I have a black ocellaris (Finneaus) who has been pretty good for a couple of years. In the last few months, he's become a holy terror - to me, not the other fish. He attacks when my hands are in the tank, but that's not the bad part. I recently received a shipment from GSellers which...
  9. DAHansen

The OPS Phenomenon in Rockquascaping*

OPS = Other People's Sandwich. Rockquascaping = Aquascaping, but just the Live Rock part. Have you ever noticed that a home-made sandwich made by someone else always tastes better, or at least different, than when you make it yourself? I've decided that I have the same problem when it...
  10. DAHansen

Cleaning out the chambers in all-in-one?

Well, my nitrates are up - bit below 20ppm. (Figured out a cool way to more accurately measure when the colors are close too!) Anywho... I have a 34G Solana in which the back chambers are pretty polluted. Does anyone have experience with one of those battery-powered gravel vacs? I'm...
  11. DAHansen

FishFence MKI

After a couple of jumpers in the past month or so, I decided that I would be safer - well, the fish would be safer - if I built a fence. I recently upgraded my lighting to a 150W MH, so I have to run topless as to not boil the inhabitants of my tank. This is Fish Fence MKI. (Yes, it's...
  12. DAHansen

Coral Compatibility Article Link

Here's the Link I thought this was an interesting article (trying to figure out if removing my softies will benefit my SPS). I thought the below quote was particularly interesting for you Clam folks.
  13. DAHansen

Natural vs. Tank Lighting - Timing?

I know a lot of folks run their tank lighting at odd hours (compared to the natural daylight) so that they actually get to see their tanks when they come home. My tanks have always been in fairly sunny rooms (no direct sunlight!) that were bright enough to "wake up" most of my fish, so I've...
  14. DAHansen

Pouty Kenya Tree... Coral war?

My Kenya tree is awfully upset these days. 1st - It kept getting knocked over by my tuxedo urchin. 2nd - It's "branches" landed IN my open brain and my open brain tried to eat it. :smck: (BTW, open brains will eat cyano... weird but true) 3rd - I upgraded from 70Watt MH to 150 Watt...
  15. DAHansen

Angry False Perc. or Tasty Fingers?

I have a black mis-barred, mis-finned false percula clown fish. He is usually pretty good about leaving me alone when I have to put my hand in the tank, but lately he's taken to attacking me. Now, his favorite treat is dried cyclops pellets (SO BAD for my tank - algae, phosphates, etc.) and...
  16. DAHansen

SunPod 70W vs. 150W - Pics for you.

Ok, yes my tank is wicked algaefied. The good brothers over at ReefCleaners.org have sent me an awesome CUC (at my expense of course) to help out with that. BUT, this is not a post about my dirty tank. This is a post about Equipment! Lighting Equipment! Specifically, a SunPod 70Watt DE...
  17. DAHansen

Using Actual Ocean Water - Pros/Cons?

After reading the article on ReefKeeping.com on "Reef Alchemy with Randy Holmes-Farley" I got to thinking. Yes, a dangerous past time, I know. I live pretty close to the ocean here in Southern Massachusetts, and I have pretty easy access to Cape Cod Bay and Nantucket Sound/Buzzards Bay. For...
  18. DAHansen

Coral ID conf. please. - Hydnophora

I think this is a hydnophora. Neither the young lady at the LFS, nor one of her coworkers could ID it. It's in a pretty safe spot in the tank, so I'm not worried about aggression. It hasn't tried to tentacle anything else in the tank, but nothing is near it. I'm pretty sure it is a...
  19. DAHansen

Coral Dead?

Just received my first shipment of SPS. It includes one Acropora and one Pocillopora. The Pocillopora has flesh and color and the water it's in smells fine. The Acropora however is bone white and the water it's in smells sickly sweet/sour. I've never had hard corals shipped to me...
  20. DAHansen

14K HQI - No Actinics needed?

I think I have read in the advertising/manufacturer material for the Sunpods with the 14k bulb that you don't need additional actinics because of the color temperature. I have a few small SPS and they seem to be doing fine - good growth so far - but was just curious. I still need to build a...