I want to kill my clown.

DAHansen

I have a black ocellaris (Finneaus) who has been pretty good for a couple of years. In the last few months, he's become a holy terror - to me, not the other fish. He attacks when my hands are in the tank, but that's not the bad part.

I recently received a shipment from GSellers which included an Orange Monti Cap. He's flipped it over and/or off the rock three times now - the thing is a PAIN to get to attach to the rock (superglue... epoxy stick... more super glue).

Last night he had me yelling and stomping my feet - flipped the monti cap upside-down on top of a large mushroom, which was trying to eat it. (The monti cap looks ok today, but not happy.) I've never been so angry at a "pet." :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

This morning I spent half an hour cleaning up after Finneaus and my bull-dozing Tuxedo Urchin. I think I finally found a solution - I tried super glue one more time, on the rock and on the back of the Monti Cap. Then I put a net over the whole thing (not touching), so hopefully he will leave it alone.

On a positive-ish note, I made my first frag this morning. I broke off a branch of my pink bird's nest with the net... Oops! So now I have two, assuming Finneaus doesn't rip that one off the rock also.

Are there fish sedatives?

Witfull

theyre called clowns,,,but your not laughing~

been there before, had a clown that would bite so hard it would draw blood~

Frankie

RS STAFF
I say spear the clown! LOL! JK.
Instead of gluing the Monti try wedging it in a crevice or between two rocks. Don't worry about covering up some of the polyps, Actually i have found my Monti frags to attach faster when i did.

sandyc

It sounds like your little clown is all grown up. When they reach maturity they become very territorial. It is normal clown behavior. Do you have two? If so, the eggs:bouncer: are sure to follow.

DAHansen

SandyC, I don't think I would survive two. The one bites hard enough on her own. Apparently, she is territorial about the entire tank. I'm going to need a bigger one!

However, I may see about "mating" her with one of Woodstock's Picasso's when/if they become available. (hint, hint).

sandyc

Mine bite me all the time too. :banghead: I have learned to leave my watch (waterproof) on when I have to go in the tank. They bite the shiny reflection on the stainless steel band instead of my hand.

Varga

my clowns stop attacking me once I started hitting them back!!!!! it works, slap em hard :D :D seriously....it works, no longer afraid of little vicious bites every time I reach in there.

DAHansen

SandyC - I'm REALLY going to try that watch idea. OR double up on some gloves.

Frankie - The Monti Cap is now pretty secure. There's one rough spot from where the mushroom was trying to eat it. Hopefully the flesh will grow over it in time.

Varga - That hasn't worked yet. I've bopped him a couple times, and even chased him around the tank. It just makes him angrier. He also does this thing with his mouth after he bites me - it looks exactly like he's yelling at me, maybe he doesn't like the way I tast.

Varga

LOL most likely SHE is attaching you

SandyC - I'm REALLY going to try that watch idea. OR double up on some gloves.

Frankie - The Monti Cap is now pretty secure. There's one rough spot from where the mushroom was trying to eat it. Hopefully the flesh will grow over it in time.

Varga - That hasn't worked yet. I've bopped him a couple times, and even chased him around the tank. It just makes him angrier. He also does this thing with his mouth after he bites me - it looks exactly like he's yelling at me, maybe he doesn't like the way I tast.

Wolfgang8810

my black clown does the same thing but since i started wearing vinyl gloves I cant feel the little terrors bites anymore. The gloves are clear and when there is still air in them they look shiny. Next time im fraggin things ill get a video if the bugger.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I had a maroon clown a long time ago that would latch onto my finger. Mean little booger! I would have to shake it off.
I also had a Hawaiian trigger that would sneak up and nip my finer tips. What a weird sensation that was. Like getting zapped by electricity.

Wolfgang8810

lol Frankie thats funny. my black one is still little so it would target the skin in between my fingers that was a more manageable bite for him lol

SATELLITE

i had a maroon clow and he was bad. anything that he could tip over he did.
i have a tomato clown now and he doesn't tip anything over but when i clean the inside of the tank he comes full blown for the sponge or my hand. now i have to spend an hour chasing him with a net and leave him in that at the top of the tank until my work is done. i'm sure he understands.

sambrinar

Hmmm, my clown is still a little guy maybe 1.5-2", I felt him kinda nipping at my arm, barely felt it, thought it was cute, now I know he is just tasting me for later. Probably made I only feed him 3-4 times a week

what happened to "don't bite the hand that feeds you", mustn't apply to fish

krazykarel

Wow...what an frustrating experience. I may have flushed him...nahh!

I also had a maroon clown who would bite me, but he was tiny enough that they were just love pecks.