14K HQI - No Actinics needed?

DAHansen

I think I have read in the advertising/manufacturer material for the Sunpods with the 14k bulb that you don't need additional actinics because of the color temperature. I have a few small SPS and they seem to be doing fine - good growth so far - but was just curious.

I still need to build a "Hood" for my new tank/stand. I've been using recently just a Sunpod 70w HQI (Don't worry the SPS are in the upper half of the tank).

When I buid the hood, I would like to just add a second 70Watt Sunpod. Unless Actinics are REQUIRED. If so, I can "retrofit" a 24" Dual PC into actinics, and get a 150W Sunpod (It would be hard to fit two 70watt Sunpods AND the actinics). Basically I guess I could build my own "Outer Orbit" or dual 70w HQI's...

Thoughts? I do have some softies that I would like to not kill - awesome green open brain, kenya tree, shrooms, etc.

Thank you!

vdituri

The actinics are more for us than the fish.
They help with the flourescent colors. Kind of like blacklights.

DAHansen

Ahhhh.... thank you!

I'll post pics when I get it done. I'm trying to figure out if I want a full length "hood" or one just about the size of the tank. The stand I built is quite a bit larger than the foot print of my Solana - will easily fit a 36" x24" foot-print tank... eventually :bouncer:

I think I have something that will work for popping colors, or I might try one of those 4-1Watt LED bars I've seen.