Search results

1. DAHansen

DAHansen's 34G Solana

Oops... If I could find the "edit post" button, I'd fix that shot. Here it is: Also added yesterday a bangaii cardinal and a beatiful tail spot blenny.
  2. DAHansen

DAHansen's 34G Solana

Long Overdue Update Well, some things were lost, and some things have going gangbusters - namely my montiporas. I am having a problem with my pistol shrimp - he is HUGE (at least 3 inches, not including antennae) - and he steals anything that's not bolted down - ricordea, mushrooms...
  3. DAHansen

DAHansen's 34G Solana

Back from vacation and all is well with the tank - mostly. I bought an Automatic Top Off from AutoTopOff.com and it works PERFECTLY. It's a little rough on styling, but the thing just works. I had it set up in a few minutes and only have one complaint. Cord lengths should be LOOOONGER...
  4. DAHansen

Almost burnt the house down today!!!!!

You should definitely invest in a GFCI - they have replacement outlets OR power-strip type things that plug straight into the outlet, but adds GFCI protection and additional plugs.
  5. DAHansen

LR question

It should be fine - assuming he doesn't have any pests growing on/in it that you don't want - aptaisia and bubble algae would be my biggest concerns. Just be sure to keep it very very wet while you transport it to minimize die-off. In fact, if you can swing it, I would load up a cooler with...
  6. DAHansen

Small snails(return pump in fuge)

Are they white and beige striped with an "upright" circular shell? If so, they are more than likely fine. I can't remember what those little guys are called, but I see them all the time in my tank at night and the dark chambers.
  7. DAHansen

Strange Behaviour of Firefish

Ditto Nikki's post. And what she was getting at with the pellets - it is good to vary their diet as well. Have you tried feeding any frozen foods? Mysis, finely chopped meaty seafoods, etc?
  8. DAHansen

open brain corral

I feed mine smallish pieces of squid, table shrimp (your standard raw shrimp like you would cook and eat), and scallops. You can usually find a bag of that mix for cheap money in the frozen seafood section of the grocery store. Thaw some of it, cut it into small pieces (smaller than dime...
  9. DAHansen

tang and blenny not eating

You also may want to try a different type of nori. My last LM Blenny preferred the red/purple stuff to the green. He also preferred it to be low in the tank, about 5 inches up from the sand, in medium current, near the middle of the tank - he was VERY picky. Also, he wouldn't eat any of...
  10. DAHansen

Odd Question???

I've seen micro-brittle stars available on eBay and around various places. I've never seen SMALL clams and muscles other than what comes on live rock on occasion. I would wait at least a few months before adding creatures as sensitive as stars and clams - they need a very stable...
  11. DAHansen

tenting my house for termites in Miami

I have two suggestions - neither terribly wonderful. 1. Tent the aquarium. Duct tape and a tarp to seal it up. Battery powered air pumps outside the house and big tent with loooooong air hoses to provide O2 and water circulation. (Or a BIG scuba tank on a slow bubble. You can rent them!)...
  12. DAHansen

DIY cannister filter for nano.

Awesome! Me Likey!
  13. DAHansen

Starfish & Nanos

My understanding is that they need a great amount of care and stability (O2,salinity, pH, etc.) to thrive in any tank. This is generally more difficult to do in smaller tanks. The one in your photo looks a lot like a Linckia which I believe are on the more difficult end of the starfish...
  14. DAHansen

stupid question

Wow, I had no idea you had to flip it around either! Good to know!
  15. DAHansen

Help me build a refuge for my aquapod

Re: Return Pump Recommendations? The 1200 will do both. It's a powerhead and a pump. I'm pretty sure they mean the MaxiJet 1200
  16. DAHansen

Lynn and Frank's saltwater adventure.

I don't remember who recommended it to me, but someone said wearing a shiny watch helps. They were RIGHT! My clown loves to attack, but won't when I "offer" her my watch instead of my flesh. Once she sees it, she stays back at least 5 or 6 inches while I mess with stuff. However, I recently...
  17. DAHansen

A Sad Day

I'm sorry, man. But feel good that you rescued him, knowing he would have had a lot less time, and a much worse fate if you hadn't.
  18. DAHansen

Return Pump Recommendations?

And I think we have a winner for the "Worst Visualization of the Week" award!
  19. DAHansen

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm going to go ahead and start off with the Mag pump, and see how it goes from there. I still have a lot of work to do the tank before I can get a full overflow-sump going, and the Mag should be fine (cheap enough!) to work until then. I do have...
  20. DAHansen

OK, I don't have a lot of mentorship in this hobby - other than the wonderful folks here - and it is time for me to get a return pump. Caveats: I'm going out of town next week for a few days, and now that I'm running Halides I have to top off at least once a day. So, I need a pump that can...