DAHansen's 34G Solana

DAHansen

Two things today.

First - A new Ricordea Fl. - She's a multi-color two-mouthed pretty little one with a destiny. She looks like she's splitting at the moment - at least I think she is. And she's going to be fragged - a LOT!

Stay tuned for cheap Ric. frags in the next few months.

ricnstuff.jpg

Second - Some macro hitchhiker that came with my seriatopora frag has really gotten out of hand! I'm still trying to decide what to do about it. Break off the coral? Or, try to trim the algae?

chaeto.jpg

DAHansen

I just accidently fragged my Pink Birdsnest - again. At least this time I glued the frags to a piece of rubble. We'll see how they do!

DAHansen

I whacked it with the rock that my green montipora digitata is attached to while trying to move the monti over a little bit.

The first time I did it was when I had a fish net in the tank a couple weeks ago and snagged a branch. They're apparently very fragile!

sambrinar

Wow great pics, I cant get my camera to focus on macro, but this inspires me to try and try again!!!!!

DAHansen

Sambrinar, If you have a Point & Shoot (all in one). It is typically the "flower" setting that will let you do Macro photos. I have a DSLR, so I just bought a macro lens (mostly for photographing fish stuff). :)

In other news:

Huzzah! On THREE counts!

1. I was able to pull most of the macro off the Seriatopora without being attacked by my Clown. This was a major accomplishment.

2. My little pistol shrimp is still alive. I saw him the other night. (This gives me hope for my Yasha Hase Goby, who I haven't seen for several weeks. He was pretty shy when I did see him. I'm hoping he is in the rocks in back.)

3. The Pink Bird's Nest "frags" are doing well. Definite polyp extension and white growth tips. This stuff is unstoppable!

Bad News on One Count:

My Big pistol shrimp has stolen a mushroom that was attached to a frag on the bottom. He is rotten - in his little pistol shrimp kind of way. Today, he tried to steal another, and I have to see if I can get it back. He may have taken it into his "lair" by now. He is ALWAYS redecorating.

DAHansen

Good News/Bad News

A free-thought/free-flow update!

My Kenya Trees have GOT to go! (See coral swap/sale section for thread.)

I noticed some tissue loss on my pocillopora. I believe it is from rubbing or being too close to my big pinkish kenya tree - on the opposite side of the poci, there is new growth going on!

ALSO, my hydnophora is not happy. There is some tissue loss, but it is only on the shady side of the hydno... may post a new thread on that.

Good news!

My orange monti cap hasn't shown a lot of edge growth, BUT the "hole" - from where the evil clown flipped it onto a mushroom and the mushroom tried to eat it - is almost completely re-fleshed! I didn't even notice it until tonight, but there is almost NO white there.

My purple grape monti cap is growing fast. The orange monti digi and green monti digi are growing fast and well. My acros are growing well. My birdsnest is a growing MACHINE! Frags of that thing will be coming soon.

Bad News

- NITRATES ARE UP! A hair over 20! ... I forgot to clean the sponge in the over flow (I leave it there for noise control) for like two weeks. It was FILTHY. I also needed to change the carbon in the back compartment as it was old too. Nitrates should be back down pretty soon.

Kalk is a little low, and so is calcium, both in the good zone, but on the low side. I dosed a two part to bring them up a bit. pH is good!

I need to get a Magnesium test kit and soon!

More Good News!

My big pistol shrimp "released" the mushroom he stole last week. The mushroom is recovering in a shady spot in the back of the tank. Hopefully he will live. He was expelling a little something after I "rescued" him.

Odd news

My fish don't swim out in the open unless they see me there. What is that about? My clown stays behind "his" rock. My royal gramma stays in her cave. My six-line swims in the rocks. My yellow watchman takes a nap.

:dunno:

Finally

Amquel smells like Japanese or vietnamese food. I can't quite tell which, but I'm leaning towards beef underdone with vermicelli.

DAHansen

No FTS at the moment. I do need to do a new one as stuff has moved around. Well... I moved stuff around.

It was "Light's Out" at 9:15, so not new FTS until Friday (I work late on Thursdays) - which should feature something new, as I plan on swapping out my Kenya Trees for something interesting that day.

Also, this Friday, I'm building a frag shelf for use in the tank until i can get my fuge all together.

DAHansen

Photo Update! I need to do some cleaning, but here's some new ones.

Full tank shot.
fts.jpg

Orange Monti Cap mostly healed.
orangecap.jpg

Orange Digi looking great
orangemonti.jpg

Pinky is still growing like crazy.
pinky.jpg

Purple Cap (undulata?) is doing well!
purplemonti.jpg

Mushroom is Splitting
shroomsplit.jpg

Finally got a decent photo of my little six-line wrasse.
sixline.jpg

That's it for now... Back to work.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
The Purple Cap I Sent You Is The Tyree Idaho Grape

Awesome Job On The Digi. I Thought It Was A Gonner

The Green Encrusting Is Psamacora....it Will Grow At A Moderate Pace When It Gets Settled In. It Comes From The Tonga Region.

DAHansen

GSellers - Thanks for the reminder on the purple cap. I had no idea it has such a history (just looked it up). Oh, and by doing well, it has lots of growth at the edges (can't see the frag lines anymore) and part of it has actually grown down to the rock it is on, and started forming onto it - unfortunately, it's in a horrible place for trying to get a clear photo of it.

SeahorseBT and Octoman - Thanks for the kind words as always!

Me - I really need to get a refugium going. First I have to figure out how to increase the pass-through rate on the in tank overflow. Options include drilling and cutting, but I'm worried about small and/or sharp pieces of plastic in the tank and the damage it could do.

Hmmm... 20 Gallon tank, Mag 5, some plumbing parts, and a life-reef overflow and I should be all set.

I really need to build that frag shelf as well - I did manage to pick up some acrylic sheets yesterday - so I'm halfway there.

DAHansen

Back from vacation and all is well with the tank - mostly.

I bought an Automatic Top Off from AutoTopOff.com and it works PERFECTLY. It's a little rough on styling, but the thing just works. I had it set up in a few minutes and only have one complaint. Cord lengths should be LOOOONGER. Of course, I have the Sump unit on the back of my Solana, so that could be part of the problem.

I used an old MJ600 with some clear vinyl tubing and a 3 gallon bucket for a reservoir. I used a bucket clamp from my tank siphon to affix the hose to the rim of the tank. I'm very happy with the ATO, but can't seem to post a review correctly.

Now for the mostly part - I left the main light (150W HQI) OFF for three days. CRAP! However, everything seems to be ok. However, I can't find my little tiger goby. Then again, the silly little fish is: tiny, transparent (except for the stripes) and cryptic (only out at night). I'm sure I'll see him again some day, if my large pistol shrimp hasn't eaten him...

That's it for now. I've got to catch up on work!

DAHansen

Long Overdue Update

Well, some things were lost, and some things have going gangbusters - namely my montiporas.

I am having a problem with my pistol shrimp - he is HUGE (at least 3 inches, not including antennae) - and he steals anything that's not bolted down - ricordea, mushrooms, millepora, etc.

Plus I got my first acan!

Here's photos of where things stand for now.

First ACAN!
firstacan.jpg

Green brain is getting bigger... bigger...bigger... (I need a new tank!)
greenbrain.jpg

Orange digi is going insane:
Today:
orangedigi.jpg

Compared to last July:
orangemonti.jpg

Orange Monti is also going crazy:
Today:
orangemonti.jpg

Compared to last July:
montecap.jpg

The Pink Nest:
pinknest.jpg

And in the full tank shot you can see the latest birdsnest break-off's. Man these things are easy to break.

pinknest.jpg

I'm sad that I lost the Millepora :( And I apparently can't keep ricordea or zoas...