open brain corral

les

I have an open brain corral that does not swell like it used to. How do you know when they are dead? It is the only corral that I have in a Bio 29.

slakker

Mine has done that, but usually for a day at most... if longer, then something is probably irritating it... I had to move one from my 72G to my 14G because my flame angel was picking on it so it was closed for a day before I saw him do that. He fleshes out completely now.

CATALYST

Mine fluffs a little more after I've fed it. Do you feed it? I give mine a hunk of scallop or silverside once in awhile.

les

how do you feed them? and what do you feed them? I thought they put out their tenticles and grab what ever is in the water. I have had it for several months now and never directly fed it.

DAHansen

I feed mine smallish pieces of squid, table shrimp (your standard raw shrimp like you would cook and eat), and scallops. You can usually find a bag of that mix for cheap money in the frozen seafood section of the grocery store.

Thaw some of it, cut it into small pieces (smaller than dime size) then pack it flat in a freezer bag and refreeze it.

When you want to feed, break off a chunk, thaw it out in salt water so it is up to tank temperature, then gently set it in its tentacles (I use planting tongs).

When you first start, err on the side of too small rather than too big - I thought mine was going to explode when I first fed him some scallop.

I feed mine every few days to once a week or so (I like to keep him guessing). And he's growing even HUGER than before.

Previously I target fed him mysis, cyclops, and omega one. He also ate cyano one time which was pretty neat.

stonedfish

I have a huge one. It opens up real big when the water is good, every once in a while it will close up a bit. Check your P.H. I dont really feed it. Maybe it just eats whats in the water. Is it on the sand?

Attachments

• brain1.JPG
    brain1.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 54

Intranick

I had a trach in highschool that took almost two weeks to open fully but it came around I think that's the norm at least from my exp - how long have you had it?

les

yes it is on the sand. I have had several months. I just noticed that is wasn't opening about one week ago. I know that it needs light. I have been cutting down on the light to cut down on the algea.

slakker

I feed mine little pieces of shrimp or scallop, but more often just Reef Roids or Coral Frenzy when I'm feeding the Goniopora that's in that tank.