Search results

1. Newbie

Green Algea is back again

Can someone please advise again... We had a long green hair algea a couple of months ago. We attributed it to the amount of light natural and artificial coming into the room and the increase in temperature from the summer sun. It has returned again only worse it seems. We are in the throws of...
  2. Newbie

Milky substance from Foxface

Good evening all, Could someone please tell me what this milky substance is that keeps coming off our Foxface. She is relatively new to our tank and I have noticed it before but she was doing it again tonight. She sits stationary for a bit then this milky stuff comes off of her, breaks into a...
  3. Newbie

Green Hair Algea

Can anyone lend me some advice on what to do to get rid of our green hair algea? It has been getting progressively worse. I initially started feeding less as that is usually the #1 cause, then I reduced the amount of time the lights were on. We added 3 more turbo snails, to have 2 eaten by...
  4. Newbie

Foxface in our tank

Well I think it was better to name the thread that over "husband for sale". Can anyone please give me their thoughts on the Large Foxface. My husband just brought one home and after reading about it I discover that this fish is poisonous...??? I have wanted to stay away from any sort of fish...
  5. Newbie

Help with my Zoanthoids

Can anyone please explain to me what can be causing my Zoanthoids at the top section of my tank to disappear? I have some at the top section of my tank and some closer to the bottom of the middle. The middle ones are doing great along with all my other corals however the top ones are...
  6. Newbie

When is it too warm???

Can someone please tell me what is too warm for keeping fish and corals safely? We started out with our temperature consistent around 74-76 through the winter, however now that the weather is getting warmer and the sun in out longer in the day, our family room has almost all day sun in it and...
  7. Newbie

Why is there Amonia???

Can anyone please explain why I have Amonia reading??? For the first time we are showing traces of Amonia... 0.25. The only change we have made is that we added 3 Turbo snails yesterday and we did our first waterchange using RO water. Nitrate/ite are both at 0.00 PH 8.3 Calcium showing...
  8. Newbie

What RO/DI is recommended

Morning all, I have been on the internet trying to research the RO units. I figured what better place to truly find out what type of system would be most beneficial which producing enough but not going over the top. I was looking briefly through past threads but honestly, I am soooo tired my...
  9. Newbie

Devestation

I want to thank all of you who posted to my other post "Hermit Crab acting weird again". Devestation has happened... I came down this morning and initially was very realived as it appeared that his endless molt may have finanlly ended. Well, what I believe to have happened is our Puffer got...
  10. Newbie

Yahoo, New QT tank for Newbie

Well all, I am proud to tell you that I have just taken things to a new level. I have finally invested in a QT tank. Now I just pray that I won't need it. I figured that we are starting to just have too much money invested in this hobby to go messing around and taking chances and hoping our...
  11. Newbie

Help!!!

We need some help in a bad way. I came downstairs this morning to find my 2 clownfish showing black spots on them. I've been Googling and it appears as though it is black ick. I've been reading on treating them, and how to get rid of it. The main problem being... we don't have a QT tank. It...
  12. Newbie

Hermit crab acting weird again

Good day all, Yet again I am turning to all of you for some advice... We are in month 4 and things are great! We have been very successful with keeping all of our fish, inverts, and keeping our peramiters in check (knock on wood). My only concern is the behaviour of my hermit crab again. He...
  13. Newbie

Cleaning LR

Can anyone please help me and tell me the correct way to clean LR. We are battling a Cyano outbreak right now. It isn't bad, it seems to like only 2 of my rocks. I keep cleaning it off with the squeegy and it takes about 4 days to come back but it is coming back. I try to clean it that way...
  14. Newbie

Floating scum

Where do I start??? I have quite a few questions to try to put into one thread. First off, what would this scum be floating on top of the water? It is kinda browny red... we had a diatom bloom last week that has cleaned up nicely. One thing I have noticed on some of our live rock are little...
  15. Newbie

brown algea on the crushed corral???

hi everyone new to the hobby and am having brown algea starting on the crushed coral bottom, it has gotten progresivly worse over the past few days did a 15 percent water change yesterday, is this normal, and what if anything should be done thnks
  16. Newbie

Are they worms???

I have just noticed little white pellet like pegs laying on my LR. They are lying on some of the LR on the algea. They are about 2mm in length. Can anyone tell me what these may be? It doesn't look like it is fish waste. Considering they don't usually swim that high in the aquarium. Any...
  17. Newbie

Our first Casualty

Well we've just suffered our first casualty... Not really sure as to why. All the levels are there. The Nitrate/ite are reading 0.00, amonia is 0.00, PH is staying around 7.6 to 7.8, and salt has remained at 1.021 since we started the aquarium. We've been given the go ahead that they cycle...
  18. Newbie

Water testing

K. We are going on day 6 of our aquarium. Trying to be patient...(finding it hard) I want fish... Trying to read the whole thing and understand about the cycle. Our nitrate and nitrite levels have been low. How do we know about the amonia that I'm reading about? We have approx. 25 pds. of...
  19. Newbie

Hermit Crab???

Me again, Does anyone have experience with crabs? We just added a crab on Sunday when we were starting our aquarium and last night it looks as though he has ghosted himself. There is a curled almost cartilege that has some pinchers like the crab and a whispy substance surrounding it? Do they...
  20. Newbie

Clownfish help

Can anyone please help me... We have just started our saltwater aquarium and have only one clownfish and a crab in the tank. We introduced the clownfish 3 days ago and at times he seems like he is on his last legs then he goes swimming around real happy. I've read that they will take to a...