Floating scum

Where do I start??? I have quite a few questions to try to put into one thread.
First off, what would this scum be floating on top of the water? It is kinda browny red... we had a diatom bloom last week that has cleaned up nicely.
One thing I have noticed on some of our live rock are little white dots which resemble barnicles almost I would think, they are about the size of a pin head with a little black spot in the middle. Is this something that I should worry about?
Then third, I have a beautiful purple algea/moss like substance which looks like velvet on one of my smaller pieces of LR. Is this O.K. or should we be cleaning some of that off?
All of my levels are O.K. I just checked my nitrate/ite levels and they are both reading 0.
Should I be worried? My husband is going to do a water change tomorrow, is that all we should be doing?
Oh yeah, we do have a protein skimmer to...
Thanks

rlcline76

Scum on top. When I see stuff floating on top, I tend to clean the skimmer, just in case I have "gunk". If, instead, you have something that resembles a film you might not be getting a good gas exchange. Set yourself up with some good flow, directed at the surface.

Barnacles, maybe. Pics would help us more.

The purple algae. Is it wispy looking? Slimy? Spreading quickly? Could be cyanobacteria. I am new to the site, so I haven't been through all of the Stickies...but I am betting there is an image in one of them.

The ccum on top isn't around where the water re-enters the tank my the skimmer. We have the air bubbles flying around when the water is exchanged, and their are air bubbles on the LR too.
Yes, some of the purple algea is wispy, some is just lying on the surface. The wispy is on a different rock though.
I am going to see if I can get some pics. of the white spots, bare with me.

rlcline76

Pics, definitely.
There is no way to put this delicately (or there is and I choose not to employ that method): floaters can occur anywhere in your tank. I would still take the time to clean the equipment and see if that alleviates the problem.

Sorry, I've uploaded theses pics. about 4 times and they aren't coming through, help???
It now says that the pictures are each over the file size limit. Argh!!!!

I'm in the process of setting up account, I will transfer pics. over later when I am back on my other computer.

kathywithbirds

Some of us technophobes here use Paint -- I load the photo to paint, then go to i'mage resize, make it 20% horizontal and vertical and that makes it fit. The image has to be 500 x 500 (pixels? I forget) or less.

Tank004.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope this picture works out... Sorry I have been away... can anyone tell me what this purple algea is. Is it cyano like we have thought?

O.K. I give up...
the picture is part of my gallery. That may help you to help me diagnose the problem.
Thanks