Clownfish help

Can anyone please help me... We have just started our saltwater aquarium and have only one clownfish and a crab in the tank.
We introduced the clownfish 3 days ago and at times he seems like he is on his last legs then he goes swimming around real happy.
I've read that they will take to a specific area of the tank and it seems that this is what has happened, however last night he was swimming backwards then kinda on his side.
I thought he would be gone by morning, fortunately he was O.K. but again has stayed in the back corner by the heater all day.
Can anyone tell me is this normal or is there something wrong with him?

panmanmatt

How long has the tank been set up? What size tank, what type of filtration? What are your exact water parameters (temp, Ph, ammonia, nitrites,nitrates)? Any live rock in the tank, if so how much?

lcstorc

Did you cycle the tank before adding the clown?
What are your current parameters. Start with amonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and salinity.
How big of a tank and what is your filtration. LR, LS, canister?

DaveK

What you describe can be normal for a clownfish. He's in a new home and scared. When new they do tend to hang out in corners or behind something like a heater.

That being said, keep an eye on him. Many clowns available today are of very low quality. He could still get sick on you. If this occurs, do not medicate your reef. Always remove the fish and treat it in a quarantine tank.

I will repeat myself, because it's important. If you do need to treat disease remember this. No matter what the LFS says, no matter what is printed on the bottle or package, there are no reef safe medications. Never ever medicate a reef tank.

How long has the tank been set up? What size tank, what type of filtration? What are your exact water parameters (temp, Ph, ammonia, nitrites,nitrates)? Any live rock in the tank, if so how much?

LOL. We just set it up last week... The tank is 45G. Corner unit.
Peramiters seem fine. Temp is usually 74, salt at 1.021.
NO2 was between 1 and 3 and NO3 was 0.
Pump is FLuval 205.
Does that help at all???
Yes there is apprx. 25 pds. of live rock I think...??? It was about $180 at $4.99/pd

Not sure if last post went through...
We just set up last week... the tank is a 45G corner unit.
Peramiters seem fine. Temp usually 74, salt at 1.021
Pump is Fluval 205 canister. Approx, 20-25 pds live rock I think.

Did you cycle the tank before adding the clown?
What are your current parameters. Start with amonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and salinity.
How big of a tank and what is your filtration. LR, LS, canister?

panmanmatt

There is no way you cycled a tank in a weeks time. Any trace of ammonia or nitrites are harmful to the fish. I would suggest taking the fish back to the LFS until your tank is fully cycled.

See real new??? What is LFS?
The store where we bought the rock gave us the fish on the chance that he would survive.... my daughter LOVED "Nemo"...
The live rock was stabilized I think my husband said if that makes sense?
It was received from Fiji?
Our crab seems to be thriving however.

panmanmatt

LFS= Local fish store

How long was the rock at the store before you bought it? How far from you is the store?

Sorry to bury you with all the questions. Just trying to help make your adventure into saltwater as enjoyable as possible.

I"m not 100% sure how long the store had the rock.
It is a large store with large facilities so I would assume they go through it
realitively quick...???
We are about 2 mins. away from one store and the big store where we got
the rock about 15 mins. away.
I thank you for all the help you are giving and do not worry about the questions, I will answer as many as I can.
This was supposed to be my husbands baby, however I'm going to be the one who will do most of this I'm sure. :D

panmanmatt

If the rock just came into the store in the last few days to a week then it won't be fully cured. That would explain why you are getting nitrites and ammonia in the tank.

CMG

Ah-ha! This is interesting.....I was just at the fish store yesterday giving away my freshwater fish and tunring my tank into salt water and the man at the store told me to put in a damsel to cycle the tank. I am guessing this is what happened to you since clowns are damsels, although there are cheaper ones to cycle your tank with.

Most people on this site say to use a deli shrimp to cycle but my fish store said that wont work and that I need to use a live fish in order to create the waste to initiate the cycle. So my guess is from looking at the peoples reefs on this site that the shrimp method works and saves the stress of a damsel or two.

ReefGuy69

Newbie... sounds like you got off on the wrong foot no thanks to your pet store. One word of advice they usually are only out to make money. Its a business and unfortunetly they dont care about the right and wrong thing to do. I would bring Nemo back :( and start from the beginning. It will save you money, and make this hobby more intersting and youll probably stick with it if you start on the right foot. Read a few articles on here. Use the search button up at the top to search on different questions you may have. Start off with (Cycling a tank) Prow has a good article on it. Then research (Water Chemistry) then (Stocking Livestock) and so on and so on. There is alot to learn. it is a fun learning though. You have a good size tank to work with and already have some of the necessaties. Once you have read some of those come back and youll probably have some more questions and we can go from there. Were all here to help so dont get overwhelmed.

here are some links to start out reading:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ners/20945-just-exactly-what-cycled-tank.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ers/16539-ye-old-stocking-limit-question.html

thanks Dennis.
I know that we were very anxious and a 4 year old wanting Nemo doesn't help.
Fortunately they gave it to us...
I will definately take the time and read the articles and probably try to find a beginners book to read.
My husband was starting this but to make sure it goes smoothly and we don't lose the house I'll learn too!!! LOL.
Thanks for the information as I'm sure I will have more questions for you!

ReefGuy69

Not a problem. they should require people to buy a book or something before buying salt water set ups. It is some work and has alot of information to go with it and most people arent lucky enough to find a site like this so they end up going astray and crashing their system. all that money wasted. i read the conceintus aquarist <-Spelling??? and saltwater for dummies. both were great books. you could get by without them, but they help so much.