Foxface in our tank

Well I think it was better to name the thread that over "husband for sale".
Can anyone please give me their thoughts on the Large Foxface. My husband just brought one home and after reading about it I discover that this fish is poisonous...???
I have wanted to stay away from any sort of fish that can inflict harm to any of our other fish and especially us. Now he brings this one home... what is anyones thoughts on this please??? Is this dangerous as in Lionfish dangerous, more so or in a category all on its own???
Thanks

wonderloss

The foxface has venomous spines, but is not aggressive. Getting stuck would be painful, but is not likely to be fatal unless you are allergic (similar to wasp stings).

I have one in my aquarium, and have never had any trouble. I keep an eye on him if my hand is in the tank, because there is always the possibility he could get spooked and strike me in a panic. However, I have never had any close calls with this fish. Overall I consider him to be a safe fish.

reef dummy

Agreed, only the spines are poisonous. They are very timid and are a great fish that get along well with others.

jonathan10

I have one in my tank as well here is a pic....

007.jpg

I have had no problems and it has been probably the least aggressive fish in the tank. Yes they are poisonous but I have never had a close call nor have any of my fish from what I can see. Every new fish I put in the instantly becomes best buds with "foxy" and I swear they almost cuddle up and touch the spines on her back with no adverse affects! She even will let me hand feed her!

Hope that helps and I hope you enjoy your Foxface as much I do mine.

jonathan10

I would be careful though.....and this is not directly about the foxface...but looking at your stock....you might be starting to push the load of fish you "should" have in a 55g tank. The Foxface can get big and the Blue tang can as well. I'm not to familiar with that puffer but I know some puffers get rather large.

cbrownfish

Keep in mind, they are not technically reef safe either. I had one that started mowing down my Zoanthids and had to remove it.

Varga

after weeks of research, I got a 5" foxface yesterday! great friendly fish +99% reef safe. lots of character. nothing to worry about.

Snelly40

i have had one for 2 years and if i put a hand in the tank he runs off. they are very skiddish and peaceful, no worries.
As said above, mine will eat from my hand too.
nothing to worry about, it is a great fish

Thanks everyone,
Johnathan10... I agree that the load is being pushed beyond its limits.
This foxface is even larger than the bluetang. Trust me, I don't believe that
our tank should have the of them in there for their size and size needs alone.
I think my husband was thinking of the algea issue that we have since we lost our Sailfin a couple months back.
The puffer is a small one and doesn't appear that he will get much bigger.
So far the foxface has the same temperment as the BlueTang however, you walk in the room and it hides in the rocks.
Not too sure what to think yet. I know that my husband will end up being a nimrod and clean the tank and forget that the spines could potentially kill him.
Thanks all, yet again I will keep you posted on his fate (the foxface I mean) :D

I don't know... I havn't heard of that. Isn't that if they are eaten and it isn't cooked properly??? No that is the blow fish...???
I'm not sure anyone? To say thankfully he hasn't died may not be acurate as he has decided to eat our hermit and about 3 of our Turbo snails...

Now back to this darn Foxface... I've been watching him to try to learn his behaviour... I must say that he quite often puts his spikes up when he is just stationary. If another fish comes by it is like he is "flexing his muscles" sort of speak...
I thought Dori would be dead this morning... she has decided to terrorize this thing. They were bumpin' up against each other last night.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Knowing that it will get too large and need to be traded/given away, I got a small Foxface a few months ago, as my last resort to getting rid of a Bryopsis algae problem that was overgrowing my corals. It was that or think about getting out of reefing altogether. The Foxface had the Bryopsis totally gone after about a week. Mine has the same behavior - very peaceful fish. He doesn't raise his spines as much as he did when he was the new guy in the tank, but it was always comical to see him raise his spines and tilt his body towards any fish that threatened him - almost as if saying "bite this and you'll be sorry!". Mine will come up the top and try to eat flake food out of my fingers when I quickly immerse it in the tank. I have to be very careful not to get stuck by accident. One of the reefers in my local club was recently stuck by one and it was very painful for a day or two - the pain even spread to his other arm for a while. These guys pack quite a wallop so give them a lot of respect! When I have to put my arm in the tank (gloved) mine timidly goes & hides behind the rock, but I still watch out for him.

wonderloss

Yeah. Thinking about the other tank inhabitants, I think I would be more worried about getting slashed by the tang. I know I have seen forum posts and pictures from people that has happened to.

Last edited: