When is it too warm???

Can someone please tell me what is too warm for keeping fish and corals safely?
We started out with our temperature consistent around 74-76 through the winter, however now that the weather is getting warmer and the sun in out longer in the day, our family room has almost all day sun in it and our aquarium is already showing temperatures of 78-80 to 82. We havn't even hit anywhere near the outdoor extreme temps from the summer so I only expect that to go up 'again'.
When is the water considered to be too warm for our fish or corals?
Our list in below in my signature of our wet friends so I hope that will help.
Also, is there anything extra that should be done when the water gets warmer?
Thanks yet again for all the valuable feedback I know you will all provide!

reefer4200

corals you dont wanna go under 77 and no higher than 84 imo

I keep mine around 80 but everyone differs

When summer comes and its 100+ outside you will probably need to invest in a chiller but it really depends on how much ac your gonna run so plan on buying a chiller!!

SJS

What type of lighting do you have?? Open or closed canopy? You can help keep temps down by raising the lights a few inches, opening up the canopy, and using a fan across the top of the tank.

framerguy

I agree with 84* but temporary (a few days) temps of 86* won't hurt your animals. It's wide fluctuations you want to avoid. Say.. no more than two degrees per day. One is better. Fans are a good idea. You can put them over the sump as well to cool it. It will create more evap so be prepared for that. Do your best to keep it -84*.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was going to say right after sex but....
84 is normal in the ocean. But our tanks are not in the ocean are they? that being said imo between 76 and 78 is a very good range to shoot for. Higher then that and unwanted stuff starts to flourish!

LMAO!!!
Right now early in the day when the sun hasn't hit yet it is about 78ish.
I'm going to turn the light off this afternoon as the sun really comes in the room (eventhough the tank isn't in front of the window) and see where that takes us.
SJS: Lighting says Glo Power on the bulb. I think it said 2x15w?
The lettering is starting to come off. It is also a closed canopy. My husband
does leave the top open a bit but the light drives me nuts when he does so I end up closing it.
We usually have the AC running ALL summer and try to keep the house around 76 I think. The sun makes it warm in the back though hence my problem right now so I'm not sure how much different it will be.
I have looked into chillers and man they are EXPENSIVE!!!:doh:
I've checked out sponsors and other sites and WOW!!! Between that and looking at a RO water maker... This can be an expensive month.
Thanks everyone for your valueable input though it is greatly appriciated!
:bluenod:

Kensn

It would be nice if I new a littel more about your tank. Do you have a sump? what type of pumps, powerheads and heaters do you use? All of these may contribute to heat in the tank. I doubt that the 2 15 watt bulbs would add very much. You may get away with just putting a small fan on the tank to cool it down a bit.

Kensn

I don't think any of those pumps/powerheads would contibute a significant amout of heat to your system. I would try a small fan across the top of the tank that will blow across the water. You will get a little more evaporation, but should cool a little...