Yahoo, New QT tank for Newbie

Well all, I am proud to tell you that I have just taken things to a new level.
I have finally invested in a QT tank. Now I just pray that I won't need it.
I figured that we are starting to just have too much money invested in this hobby to go messing around and taking chances and hoping our fish will be O.K. Given the recent scare we had thinking our clowns had Black Ick.
Now as nothing has changed in days, it seems as though they are either getting stung by our coral, or the increase in salinity is getting them. (We've gradually gone from 1.021 to 1.024. I want to try to balance that out.
Anyway, with Lynns advice I ended up getting just shy of a 20g hexi tank to ensure that we have the space for our Tang.
Now I just have to make sure that I give it a good clean and clean all the piping that I would be using with it.
Thanks to everyone, here is hoping that our fish will be happy and live a long spoiled life!!! :bouncer:

prow

great buy, now you can QT everything :yup: may i suggest after cleaning it, you cover it with some saran wrap or something. keeps dust or cleaning products and stuff from settling in/on it. that way when you want to use it you dont have to reclean it :grind:

Thanks for the thoughts. Now to QT a new fish before adding it to the new set up how long should they be in QT?

prow

that sounds like a good general rule to go by. do make sure you research the fish well, some dont/shouldnt be QT'd that long. but those you will learn about as you go.
REEF ON!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.
I think that we are pretty much at our limit for fish... maybe one more, however we are wanting to add some more corals over time.
I just will need to manufacture a base and get another heater for it cause I think the QT will do in the basement in the theatre room.

SJS

Qt your new corals and other invertebrates. I recently purchased a blenny and some shrooms xenia and star polys - turns out the shroom rock had lots of aptaisia and the xenia rock had bubble algae. I will always qt new additions and observe them carefully for awhile before adding to the big tank...

prow

Well all, I am proud to tell you that I have just taken things to a new level.
I have finally invested in a QT tank. Now I just pray that I won't need it.
O i forgot to congratulate you. when you get all excited about buying a tank you hope to never use, you know you have become a ture reefgeek :smoking: welcome to the club :thumbup: