Search results

1. djbacon

Free frags in San Francisco

My tank is being overrun with bubble algae but I have some healthy specimens that I am giving away before I scrub the tank and start over. I live in a condo high rise and my local FS just closed. NO isolation tank or way to save everything without a serious tank cleaning and some new live...
  2. djbacon

Similan Dive pictures - see em here

Hi everyone, I've been off travelling around Thailand for the last month or so. Did a lot of scuba diving while away - thought id share some pics and video I took of Koh Tao, Similan and Khao Lok while away. enjoy Similan similan diving - a set on Flickr Koh Tao koh tao scuba -...
  3. djbacon

Clown fish harassing my coco worm !?!

So I have noticed lately that my coco worm is comoing out les and less, Ive been getting worried lately that it is not getting well fed because it is rarely out to be target fed. Tonight I notced that my little bastard maroon clown, territorial monster that he is, nips at the worm anytime he...
  4. djbacon

Some front page news material - FISH PEDICURE

Nibbling fish perform pedicures - Yahoo! News Photos
  5. djbacon

possible issue - will rust crash my tank?

While changing out bulbs, and fans tonight. one of the screws (about a 1/6" wide and 3/4" long) fell into the tank and despite moving the pump and heater etc etc I could NOT find the screw. I imagine it is going to rust in my tank over time and Im concerned that this will have a toxic effect...
  6. djbacon

sea horse / harelquin shrimp question

Any reason these 2 could not co habitate in the same tank? Thinking of what to do with my 14g when I upgrade. Love sea horses and the harlequins - would they make acceptable tank mates?
  7. djbacon

The wonders of feeding phyto to Zoanthids

So about a month ago I started buying critters that need frequent feeding of phyto, namely a cocoworm and a gorgonian. Since I started feeding, (a few dropsevery couple days in a 14g) I have noticed an insane growth response in my zoanthids. Check out this first picture of with pink zoas...
  8. djbacon

Is it normal for coraline to grow on my shrimp??

My cleaner shrimp molted last about a week and a half ago. I have really good coraline algae growth throughout my tank. Just noticed today that my cleaner is also covered in red spots. Is this normal? his behavior is a-ok. Im 90% sure this is coraline - just want to be sure.
  9. djbacon

Ricks (DJBACON) 3.24 nanocustoms lighting upgrade for biocube 14g

Hi everyone - A lot of people have asked about this upgrade. i just did it today and thought Id share tthe journey so folks can see what is invovled. Maybe it will help someone down the road. It really isn't that hard. Took about 90 minutes. You simply remove the hood. Remove the...
  10. djbacon

Ricordea Yuma losing color - turning white ? Why

I bought this Yuma about 3 weeks ago ago, it seemed fine for the first week, latley I have noiticed that it is turning white in the middle, losing its purpleness. I hope this is a temporary thing but this is my first Yuma. I've heard of Corals expelling their zoanthelle, hope that isnt the...
  11. djbacon

Considering adding another fish to my 14g biocube

Having a little dilemna...I think I want another fish. Anybody have thoughts on the matter? I currenly have just one clown in a 14g tank. He has already grown in the short time I've had him. Considering a pair of small true clowns - not that I don't love my current clown, I would...
  12. djbacon

Coraline Algae - scarpe it off or leave it alone?

I am getting alot of purple algae growth on the back of my tank walls. I try to scrape it off because I think the black looks better on the back wall. It's tought to get though and Im getting tired of it. Are there any benefits to leaving it alone and letting the back wall turn purple...
  13. djbacon

Natural Sea Water vs Salt Water mix

Im sure there is a thread about this but I could not find it. Many folks out there suggest using natural sea water (if your LFS sells it) for reef tanks. Wanted to hear peoples opinions about it. Pro's, Con's - if you make the switch should you ween it into your system gradually, (like...
  14. djbacon

Any SF bay area aquarists out there?

Looking for folks in the city of San Francisco with whom I might be able to swap aquarium duties for future vacation time. I dont exaclty trust my friends who have cats and dogs to do my water changes, keep up on testing, temperture etc. Looking to meet folks who might be into swapping...
  15. djbacon

Melting Zoanthids

OK, I have seen zoas that were shipped cold, wither away and die before, but I have a weird thing happening with some beautiful watermewlons I got two days ago. When they arrived they opened right up and looked awesome The next morning, most polyps were colsed and 3 looked like they...
  16. djbacon

Just a general thank you

:bluenod: Im only 2 months into this but the folks and vast library of info here has helped me and inspired me every step of the way - so thanks to all of you. RS rocks
  17. djbacon

Spongy thing with a cone shped mouth ????

found this on a few pieces of the rock in my rear chamber...any ideas?
  18. djbacon

Help Saving Dying Zoanthids

I ordered these guys off ebay - the box arrived 22 hours after shipment. In zip lock bags of which all were broken. Water temp was at 60 degrees with a cold heat pack. For three days I have watched them get more limp and thin. 2 polyps are starting to show color as though opening, but I am...
  19. djbacon

electric sea scallop

Just looking for the pros and cons of housing this species. The LFS tells me they are not compatible with hermit crabs. Anybody have any experience with these?
  20. djbacon

Can somebody ID this? and tell me if its bad for my Zoas?

I have found about 6 of these in my tank - I have head of various worms being bad for corals - they dont seem to be doing any harm, would just like to be sure. In adition to these my back walls are covered with VERY small white tubes that look this too, but I think they are baby feather...