possible issue - will rust crash my tank?

djbacon

While changing out bulbs, and fans tonight. one of the screws (about a 1/6" wide and 3/4" long) fell into the tank and despite moving the pump and heater etc etc I could NOT find the screw. I imagine it is going to rust in my tank over time and Im concerned that this will have a toxic effect on the water chemistry, especially since its only 14 gallons.

Should I worry about this? I think it fell in this funny crevice in the rear pump area that not accessible and is in there for good.

PEMfish

Well if its almost 3' you must be blind not to see it!
j/k, I know what ya meant.
What material is is made out of?

Frankie

RS STAFF
34" long and you can't find it! LOL! There must be something wrong with your post. Or that is a mighty fan you have ;)
I would tear the tank apart to get it out personally. Even some stainless steels with corrode in salt water.

djbacon

yeah i meant 3/4" and corrected the original, i have no idea what material it is made of but im pretty sure it will rust or corrode, then again, it was the faftory screw that holds the splash guard in place so maybe it is made of rust resistant. It was certainly never intended to be submerged but had pretty direct exposure to the water.

I think I have taken the tank as far apart as I can - :ponder2: I really just cant find it :cursin:

Triggerjay

well, on a side note... we sink steel ships in the ocean to make reefs. I have personally lost metal items in tanks before, with no apparent negative effects. I lost a razor blade in my old 55g tank, and tore the tank all to heck.. never did find it. I'm not saying its right to leave it,.... But sometimes you have no choice..

Jason

DAHansen

If it's not stainless (or other non-magnetic metal) you could try fishing it out with a magnet or a Magfloat.

djbacon

yeah, tried that...no avail. But this thread isn't replying with any hyper warnings about rust in the tank and pressumably if I keep doing regular water changes everything will be cool.

freezerrat

Probably won't hurt anything. And as for the factory screws being corrosion resistant............don't count on it!! I bought a used aquapod and a couple of the screws were so rusted I had to drill them out. I replaced all of them with stainless. Cost all of a buck 50. You would think manufacturers would have some sense since these things are going to be exposed to saltwater.

PEMfish

They are not thinking 'this isn't perfect' they are thinking 'look at all the money we're making'.

plahka

I understand that. But you think they would see the wisdom of a few stainless screws. These covers have to come off at least once a year to change the bulbs. The one I got was less than two years old and the screws were already shot.

funkpolice

Almost all Stainless Steel hardware is type 316, which is pretty corrosion resistant, and shouldn't be an issue for many years. I have seen type 304 hardware, which will corrode, and possibly release nickel, but those were special order screws, and probably not what you had.
bill

cheebman

hey fella's

quick question.. ive seen a few people say that it shouldnt cause any problems but, ive heard alot of story's of cheap pump rusting on the inside and having it cause major havoc in tanks.. if i were u boss, i would find it asap.. just my opionion