Melting Zoanthids

djbacon

OK, I have seen zoas that were shipped cold, wither away and die before, but I have a weird thing happening with some beautiful watermewlons I got two days ago.

When they arrived they opened right up and looked awesome
IMG_2238.jpg

The next morning, most polyps were colsed and 3 looked like they opened so far that they just melted right off the neck? Are these things OK?

My water paameters are steady, everything else in the tank is thriving

The after photo of the same watermelon zoas is here

Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before? Are these a gonner? I acclimated them just like you would a fish....everything else in the shipment is doing well.

melting.jpg

p.s. the other sad looking zoas on the same rock are the sole survivors of a shipment that arrived at 60 degrees...

JWarren

how long have they been in your tank and how did you acclimate them exactly? Did you test the water they were shipped in?

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
they might still be adjusting...maybe a CUC member crawled across them....or something nipped at the frag plug and disturbed them.....whats your water temp at?

djbacon

They arrived Wednesday, looked great - looked like this by Thurs morning. No change today.

Acclimation - floated them for about an hour...then slowly added tank water to the bags, then moved to tank.

All other stock in the order is doing great. Usually when CUC moves over them, they just close up. These seem couple polyps look like they over opened for lack of a better word. the rest remain closed. for now Im just leaving them be hoping for recovery.

Temp is about 79-80 - the box arrrived warm, but i did not test the water.

tippMANn98

yea, just wait it out...maybe they ended up getting a little stressed after all...give them some time

djbacon

Have you guys heard of furan dip? someone elese suggested it, disease cure. allegedly deosnt hurt if there is no disease.

rlcline76

A dip probably wouldn't hurt. Zoas can do some funky things while you are busy scratching your head.

What kind of lighting do you have? I noticed they are toward the bottom of the tank. I've had recession before...doublecheck those parameters. Move them to a new location if possible...easier for the ones on the disk, I know. Anything telling on the exterior? I do not see any white blotches on the exterior, any browning?

djbacon

Lighting, 48 watt PC 10k - its only a 14g though so that ought to be more than sufficient. I do notice that I lose a little coloration after arrival from lights that have been under MH :closed:

think I will buy some furan II after work and give it a shot - no browning - I am looking close at the pis now and wondering if those little white specs might be pox or just grains of sand from the water change pre photo. damn, they looked SO good on arrival. All other Zoas in my tank are doing great, new growth at all levels. (except the ones ditectly behind them, but those arrived at 60 degrees, seem to be slowly making a comeback) :look:

JWarren

That's a good temp range. Sometimes Zoa's take a bit to acclimate. Yeah, you did the physical acclimation, although short in time (2 hours), but in tank acclimation may take quite a while longer. I've got some Zoa's that didn't start producing any polyps for several months and some put in at the same time are double in size. Maybe an adjustment in light for them. You could always put a screen in between the tank and the light to shade them a bit and see if it helps.

I try to stay away from dips until I have diagnosed a specific problem that the dip will treat. Zoa's are pretty hardy, knowing that I usually give them time to come around before trying anything else.

djbacon

yeah, im not giving up on them, and ive seen em melt awya and regrow before, these just look like a flower shedding its petals rather than closing up like they usually do when unhappy...kinda weird. Considered putting them in the shade but considering they came from stronger lighting that didnt make sense to me.

tippMANn98

THESE ZOA POX I HEAR ABOUT.... i got one green center paly, has white spots on its "stalk" not killing it...they have spread to about 25+ polyps in 4 months...started with ONE

rlcline76

TippMAN, I might be losing your zoas...might be losing my zoas. We'll see, I had to cut the colony back after a patch of it starting turning brown on the exterior. You'll have to wait on those pics.

I have seen references to furanase, sometime weak iodine dips and almost always, Vitamin C. I do not see pox in the pictures. I would try a change in location first and see if recession continues.

stonedfish

My green centers are doing the same thing. Reproducing well but with some blistery bumps around the tops of the stalks. Everything seems fine though.