Can somebody ID this? and tell me if its bad for my Zoas?

djbacon

I have found about 6 of these in my tank - I have head of various worms being bad for corals - they dont seem to be doing any harm, would just like to be sure.

In adition to these my back walls are covered with VERY small white tubes that look this too, but I think they are baby feather dusters.

Anyway, thanks for the help

IMG_1977.jpg

wonderloss

It looks like a vermetid snail. It is a sessile snail that extends a mucous web to catch food from the water column. Some people consider them an unattractive nuisance, but over they are harmless. If you have a sudden, large outbreak, it could be an indication of a high nutrient level in your water.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nope, nothing wrong with vermetid snails around zoos. They will irritate some more delicate sps corals though. I personally hate they web the put off.

Royalscott

Scott has one of these too in his tank and the "web" is annoying as heck. I was thinking of trying break off the shell, but I guess that will not work.

BTW, it came on a rock from the LFS that has zoa's on it.

djbacon

yeah, mine came from a zoa rock too, so long as hey arent effecting growth of my corals, they may live...I have seen the web and assumed it was a hair floating in my tank. My wifes hair gets everywhere else :surrender:

Royalscott

ROFLMAO! I too at first thought it was a hair in the tank so I fished it out only for the "hair" to reappear. That is when I realized it was attached to the curly shell so I swirled it up and onto my fingers, but it keeps coming back out. It just annoys me to have to look at it.

blue_eyes53813

Doing some research on these darn snails and was wandering if anybody had an idea on how to get rid of them... My tank is being taken over and the webs are driving me nuts. Not to mention bothering some of my sps. I am getting more and more all the time...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Doing some research on these darn snails and was wandering if anybody had an idea on how to get rid of them... My tank is being taken over and the webs are driving me nuts. Not to mention bothering some of my sps. I am getting more and more all the time...

Vicki,
I've had them and noticed their population exploded with my over feeding. When I cut back their population did that same along with my "bristle worm" population.

djbacon

i had the same eperience as al. I actually have one growing on the back of one of my hermits that I kinda like. helps me keep an eye on him. Plus its interesting to have critters growing on my critters.