Help Saving Dying Zoanthids

djbacon

I ordered these guys off ebay - the box arrived 22 hours after shipment. In zip lock bags of which all were broken. Water temp was at 60 degrees with a cold heat pack.

For three days I have watched them get more limp and thin. 2 polyps are starting to show color as though opening, but I am not sure the outer skin is not just receeding. Any advice on saving a dying zoanthid colony that went through shipping hell?

My water parameters are top notch - no nitrates or Phos, etc. temp 80 ph 8.1 SG 1.025 calc 440 dkh 9 - plenty of light - what else can i do?

bummer - they were awesome species.

djbacon

more like double packed twin wrapped jewlery size zip locks. One of three frags (the bonus frag) survied intact. Still immersed in water upon arrival.
Sellers feedback on ebay is 99.7% positive. Not sure how. The others were all in brown water in the back up bag....pretty banged up. he covers everything but shipping but Im not convinced that paying again for shipping is going to get me any better results ya know?

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
just flat out get your money back for the livestock....and just have to take the shipping loss....tell him how unprofessionally he packed his corals

tbittner

On another note though, Zoas are pretty hardy. Place them in a lower flow, lower light area and give them a chance to survive. At least a couple weeks.

rdz1

i save some zoes from petco that looked like they were dead. It took a couple months but new ones started growing back so you never know and than i have bought some online the shipment arrived late and they all melted away in a week. if they look bad a would toss them instead of contaminating your water.

djbacon

On another note though, Zoas are pretty hardy. Place them in a lower flow, lower light area and give them a chance to survive. At least a couple weeks.

Is low flow low liight really the best placement for them? I had thought higher light (being they are photosynthetic) would be more appropriate. They have definitely gotten smaller since I've received them, but another frag that came in the same box is thriving (despite the cold temps)

Just hate to toss them if they have a chance.. also dont want to cause a nitrate spike due to dead stock. I'll leave them towards the bottom in a lowert flow corner for the weekend and see what happens. Maybe I can post a photo later today so you guys can see their state.

tbittner

The thing is, not knowing what kind of light the seller had them under, I'd be worried about frying them with good lights. It's best to not only acclimate corals to your water, but also to your light. Start them off in lower light and slowly bring them into your light. This process can take a month. You can tell if they are getting too much because you can see them wilting and bleaching out. If you see that, move them either down, or shade them a bit for a while.

Corals typically won't cause a nitrate spike but some corals CAN release toxins into the water when they die. I don't think Zoas do that but hopefully someone with more knowledge on them will let us both know. :)

djbacon

He had them under 250w 10ks - in a big frag tank. mine are 48w but also 10k and Id guess considerably closer to the lights, being a nano and all.