yup, don't like those pump impellers!

anewguy

so i've had my rsm250 running now for almost 3 months. and from the start i had overheating issues and when i turned off the skimmer i couldn't get it to start back up again. after the third time, i pulled out the whole thing and took a good long look at the pump thinking maybe there was just somthing stuck in there or binding up. nothing stuck but interesting enough, the impeller was binding on the shaft. so much so that it was hard to turn the impeller on the shaft by hand. so i took some fine sandpaper to the shaft. after a bit(close to 45 minutes) i had taken enough off to be able to easily spin the impeller under a stream of water from my sink.so i put all this back together and it started right up no problem. so i was thinking maybe i fixed that start/stop problem. so, i waited a week to try again. and almost suprisingly--it didn't start back up!( i was hoping i had actually figured out somthing of usefullness here, oh well). so the pump still doesn't work right but on a related note, my temp has been more stable.i'm thinking the friction from the impeller was part of the heating issue.it still goes up and down 2 degrees with my lights though.
another problem i've had was with the impeller on the 600gph pump. it broke
shaftimpeller.jpg

you can also see where the shaft has been worn by the impeller. keep in mind that this is only 3 months old!
shaft.jpg

now, this guy breaks at 2am so i cant just go get another pump off another tank very easily. so i take out my superglue and put all this back together.the glue had seeped in the hole so once again i sandpaper the shaft till it fits.
anyway, everything is back up and running again for now.with two out of three pumps not working right i'm not too confident about that though.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I was hoping that by now Red Sea would have offered 250 owners a new skimmer pump to resolve all of these issues of heat and seized pumps. :(

I've been through 3 skimmer pump impellers already! Yes the heating issue is due to the skimmer pump cause every time my skimmer pump is down my temp is perfect! I REALLY HOPE THEY COME UP WITH A SOLUTION SOON!