Yet another tank!???? BC14

GlassMunky

Really, another tank? Of Course!:yup: Yesterday, while the BF and I were out running erronds, we came across another SW store in the area (kinda, about 45min-1hr away) so we decided to go and check it out. The store itself was more of "Fish" store that anything else. it was split into the front third that was big, and nice, FW tanks. the back 2 thirds was the SW area, but still more of just a fish store than a reef store. they had lots of FO tanks with livestock and like 2 tubs that were maybe 1/4 filled with some corals, some doing OK, others, not soo good. (Not the best filtartion methods being used, i.e bioballs and trikle filters with LR) The one really cool thing they did have was like a 200G (guessing size) tank with a shark and an eel in it. Decided this was probably not the best place to get livestock, but n the way out found a deal that was toooo good to pass up. One of the employees was moving and had to get rid of his Biocube 14G aand stand; perferct setup for the BF's office. Complete setup.....$100...... :columbo: how could i pass that up? Needed a little bit of cleaning up, 1 new fan(only has 1), and new moonlight LED (may just get a stunner strip) but overall in great condition. Still not sure what we are going to keep in it, originally had thought about seahorrses but after some research its too small for them. so we are open to ideas. been looking at Mods and am pretty sure regardless of what we decide to keep in it we will be getting the InTank media rack for chamber 2. may upgrade the lights and pump too depending. Anyway heres the pics.
before cleaning
DSC00880.jpg
DSC00881.jpg
DSC00883.jpg

Pic of the lights/fan/missing fan
DSC00882.jpg

First order of business, get those Bio-balls OUT!
DSC00884.jpg
DSC00885.jpg

And after cleaning, doing a leak test/light test
Both lights on
DSC00886.jpg

Daylight only
DSC00887.jpg

Actinic only
DSC00888.jpg

GlassMunky

So we did a little bit of work on the tank last night. I got the 2nd fan installed, Broke out the false bottom of chamber 1 and 2 and widened the overflow. Put a heater in chamber 1, chamber 2 will hold the InTank media. Also we stopped by one of the LFS and picked up some Black Argonate sand and about 8Lbs of LR (we took the last they had), still need another 5-10Lbs. Put everything in the tank and turned on the pump. Everything seems to be working great so far. Now time to wait while it cycles. We think we have decided the route this tank will take. Since its going to be the BF/s office tank he wants it to be "his" tank. so I'm letting him learn how to do everything and take care of it. He's decided that he wants to start out easier and just keep softies in there. So once its all cycled and ready we will be moving the softies from the 29 (Rics and Mushrooms) tto the 14, and the 29 will become just an LPS/SPS tank, which will be better for everything in the long run IMO. So here the new pics.

New fan installed
DSC00893.jpg

False bottom taken out, widened overflow and added heater
DSC00894.jpg

Water finally in, everything still murky
DSC00895.jpg

Tank this morning, cleared up alot
DSC00896.jpg

GlassMunky

Went to the LFS today and got more rock up to 14# now, and the tank is pretty full so i think that will be all the rock. Pics of the new aquascape.
DSC00904.jpg
DSC00905.jpg

GlassMunky

So this past weekend we took some of our water to petco (I know, I know) to have them quick test (strip that tests everything at once) to see how the tanks cycle was going. they said there was no ammonia or nitrites. I dont really trust the accuracy of that test, but using it as a guideline, i decided to throw in a couple hermits and a snail from the 29 and some cheato to help eat up the nitrates (only at about 15-20 with my tests) and seed the tank with some pods and micro stars. So after waiting till yesterday to go to our good LFS to actually have the ammonia and nitrites tested with good test kits. both came back 0. Tanks cycled:jumprope: So the bf decided to get a fish that he had been reading about (Doing his research:read:)... A Green Clown Goby. So I introduce to you, Toby the Goby.:yup: He's a quick lil guy, and still a little skiddish. This was the best i could do for a pic.
DSC00943.jpg

We also threw in a small blue ric from the 29. FTS
DSC00945.jpg

GlassMunky

So last week we decided to get a frag of GSP and put it in the tank. Since then they have taken off and the mat is expanding out in all directions. We also took the Blue Mushrooms from the 29 and transfered them into the 14. Eventually most all the softies and LPS will come out of the 29 and into the 14 so the 29 can be SPS dominant. On a sad note, we think that toby got too stressed form being moved to his new home that he starved. :( So this past weekend we went out and got TobyII. This guy was definatly not very stressed from his move as he was out swimming and perching on rocks from the first minute. He's a fiesty little bugger at dinner time too. :)
DSC00998.jpg
DSC00999.jpg
DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg
DSC01018.jpg
DSC01019.jpg

Corailline

Love the choice of substrate. I have a citron goby it was about 3 months after I bought him before I saw him again and it is a 28 gal tank. To this day he perches in the same place and darts out and grabs food and that is pretty much it, but he is sure cute just reclusive.

GlassMunky

Well Toby 2 got some sort of illness and was put down. Since then, my bf is a little over getting a fish and just switched to more corals. the tanks gotten quite filled actually. lots of rics, and polyps. The tank has gotten some algea issues, which started when we were feeding daily for toby, since then, the nitrates have droped back down to around 2 but theres still some cyano(I think) which i believe to mainly due to low flow (again, I think).
DSC01089.jpg
DSC01091.jpg

DSC01093.jpg
DSC01096.jpg

Mushroom way...
DSC01097.jpg

And some little kind of polyp I'm guessing???? these guys are tiny
DSC01098.jpg

GlassMunky

Sweet tank. But what is the bubble thing? Shaun

Its a glass dome that i made with a few small hole in it. I had some mushrooms that werent attached to anythng so i put them under the dome with some rick rubble so they can attach without being blown around the tank. Also works great for feeding LPS, without having shrimp come steal the food.

Rluix

Yup. Small tank and all the LR was fully cured.

That means you saw a rise in ammonia, then it wenting down, then a rise in nitrite, and going down againe , and then finnaly a rise in nitrates, all in 7 days?

An unfinished cycle could explain the illness of your goby.