Yellow Tang

So, my friend went out yesterday and got me a yellow tang, he is pretty big and I know they need a big tank to survive, question is, should I bring him back or will he be ok in my 35 gallon...? I don't want him to suffer in an insufficient tank...

mbdave

Re: Yellow yang

Oh no its the tang debate again!!!! Do you plan on getting a larger tank in the near future?

No, he doesn't know what fish to get, he got it for color, he is my sisters boyfriend, I don't plan on getting another tank for at least 6 months...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Sounds like the fairly large Foxface my non-reefer friend got for me. It's doing fine for now. How big is the tang - any pictures?

Don't have any pics, but he is like 4inches or so, he is a little stressed though, he has the white strip down the side. What I'm worried about, he doesn't have much room to swim, my roxkwork is not for big fish like that.... Just courious if he will be fine or take him back and trade for a smaller tang where it can roam...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

A smaller one would be better, if you're able to catch that one. 4" may be OK short term - I'm not sure how fast they grow. White strip down the side? Do you mean that one near the tail? That's actually a defensive spine that they can stick out to whack things with that may be bothering them.

White strip is a sign when the get stressed, it goes all the way down the body, I'm probaly going to take him back and get something smaller, I think it's too small of a tank for him to enjoy...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

White strip is a sign when the get stressed, it goes all the way down the body, I'm probaly going to take him back and get something smaller, I think it's too small of a tank for him to enjoy...

OK - that really is the best thing to do.

proenca

thats too big of a tank for a 35g - you can buy them small and once they reach up that size you can either upgrade your tank or sell the tang back to the LFS.

my bet would be trading that tang for a smaller one.

if you want a splash of colour, why not try a centropyge ? they are ok for a 35g. or a magnifica '

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

"centropyge ? they are ok for a 35g. or a magnifica" - Dwarf Angel or a Firefish.

proenca

"centropyge ? they are ok for a 35g. or a magnifica" - Dwarf Angel or a Firefish.

Thanks for the correction Terry - I very seldom use "common" names - I dont like use them... I still remember ordering one day, few years ago a pair of Tomato Clowns, expecting a pair of Frenatus and a beautifull pair of Premnas came.

Well they are red as well .) Problem is they are the warriors an terrors of the clownfish clan.

But was ok. Ever since I always got used to talk in scientific names :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Drain some of the water out to make it harder for him to be able to get away...

Thanks, I- phones like to change words sometimes.... It's hard to curse on these things, try to type something, and it changes it...

BLAKEJOHN

The white stripe is not a truly a sign of stress. It may become more apparent when stressed or at night when thier color fades.

I agree that a 35 is too small for him. Just keep an eye out for signs of stress such as ICH, lose of appitite, sunken gut (which could also be a parasitic infection), frantic swiming etc.... untill you can catch him and return him or find a larger home.