yellow and green Flower Pot coral

Arabelys

hello guy this is my 1st post. Got allot of question as i am new with saltwater tanks so i hope someone can help me. just got a flower pot coral and omg do i need help!!! (my BF didnt know it was for experts)
i dont even know if i should keep it! anything you guys recomend me to do?

Last edited:

Mcvivor

We need more information. Could you please tell us the following:

1) Tank size
2) Tank age
3) Tank lighting
4) What chemicals do you dose in the tank?

If we know this we could be of better help! :-D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd get it into a MUCH more experienced person's tank today if it's any chance for long-term survival. They need a LOT of food which quickly leads to water quality problems in our closed loop systems.

Welcome to RS :)

Arabelys

1) Tank size = 90GL BUILT IN OVERFLOW
2) Tank age = 1MONTH (JUST MOVED FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AND UPGRADED FROM 55 TO 90GL USED NEW LIVE SAND AND USED LIVEROCK FROM OLD TANK.
3) Tank lighting = 250W HQI DOUBLE 96W POWER COMP ACTTINICS ROYAL BLUE
4) What chemicals do you dose in the tank? TRACE ELEMENTS ALL IN ONE. DONT REMEMBER NAME ON BOTTLE. WILL UPDATE WHEN I GET HOME.
I HAVE 2 SEMI PICCASSO - 2 BLACK CLOWNS 2 ROYAL CARDINALS AND A FIRE FISH.
2 CLEANER SHRIMPS SOME SNALES 2 LARGE TURBO SNALES, ONE ARROWCRAB
1 LARGE SEABAY ANEMONE, 2 CANDYLACTUS ANEMONE, BUBBLETIP ANEMONE
2 BRANCHING FROGSPAWN (ONE LARGE ONE SMALL)
1 NEON HAMMER HEAD CORAL (SMALL)
1 BRANCHING HAMMER HEAD (SMALL)
1 ROCK OF GREEN STAR POLYPS
1 LONG TENTACLE PLATE (LARGE)
1 BRANCHING TORCH (LARGE)
1 FLOWER POT CORAL (LARGE)
A FEW RED & BLUE MUSHROOMS
RICORDIAS
GLOWING XENIAS
HARRY MUSHROOM
WATER QUALITY IS PERFECT, PER AQUARIUM STORE REP (I HAVE HER CHECK IT WEEKLY)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My first suggestion is to invest in your own test kits. This way you can see whats happening first hand and react if need be. What happens if you "suspect" something is wrong Saturday night and the LFS is closed till Monday?

Test Kits = Wise Spent $$$

MrPex

My girlfriend impulse-bought a yellow flower pot for me a few months ago. I've done a LOT of research on them online, and there isn't much that's terribly recent. Here's what I've accumulated and what's been my experience so far with this coral:

(My sources and timeline may not be totally correct, but my summation of the aggregate information I believe to be fairly accurate)

From what I've read in posts and articles ranging from the late 90s to about 2006ish, flower pots were considered impossible to keep for more than a few months. We didn't know their feeding habits, or even what they really ate.

Posts and articles in the mid 2000s started quoting luck with keeping these corals for up to a year where they would look great, but they would still suddenly die very rapidly. I surmise from what I've read that, at that point, nearly all flower pots were still wild caught at that point.

But around that same time, there was an article written quoting some research that had been done stating that dissection of flower pots had shown mostly phyto and other small plankton in their bodies, suggesting this was the majority of their diet. This would also seem to correlate with my other findings that flower pots tend to grow in nutrient rich waters in dirty pools and areas where rivers dump into the ocean, as well as with other indications that they tend to prefer lower intensity lighting. (This is contrary to what the link Mcvivor posted above- that's probably the only place I've read that said Goni. sp. requires "PERFECT water conditions", but Liveaquaria may have meant just the "True Red" variant they are selling, which I don't recall ever reading about.)

Someone also wrote an article about this time stating that he was starting to have luck with flower pots through heavy feeding and heavy skimming and that subsequent generations of flower pots appeared to be doing better than previous generations.

Googling results for new articles and posts after about 2007ish with new information regarding flower pots seems to taper off.

(The following paragraph is purely hypothetical on my part)
Now, since they HAVE been in aquariums for some time, my guess is there are more and more aquacultured specimens being traded and sold. As with the case of acros and other previously deemed "impossible to keep" corals, subsequent generations of aquacultured corals have generally become easier to keep because either, or because both, husbandry becomes better understood, or/and "mutations" of species surviving in tanks make them better suited for survival in our tanks due to natural selection. This fits with the fact that I have recently seen quite a few flower pots sold at my LFS, and heard several customers talking about them, but have not heard from these same people any of the "impossible to keep" stories that used to circulate so widely with personal stories about how that person's flower pot died. However, I have not seen any "recent" posts or stories about how someone's flower pot has died, only posts saying that "They are impossible to keep" with no information that the person has actually had one themselves- apparently just regurgitating what they have read with no experience in the matter, perpetuating what may just be old information about the coral.

Full disclosure: I have only had my flower pot for about 3 months, so I am still well within that "they only last for a few months to a year". BUT she has doubled in size, and her polyps have grown to nearly 3 inches at full extension, and I continually notice new polyps growing from between mature polyps. So maybe she will still die unexpectedly within a year, but I'm still keeping her, and keeping my hopes up.

How do I care for her? I actually keep her under a rock outcropping that is 16" below 14k 150W MH for 7 hours a day, so she gets only indirect light. She gets low, non-laminar flow. My water is 79-81 degrees at 1.025 SG with bi-weekly 10% changes.

As for feeding, I'm still figuring this one out. I skim heavily - I only have a 60 but I have a Remora Pro with a Mag Drive 3 that's rated to 120GPH and I have a very light bio-load so far- only 5 Yellow Tail Damsels, a hermit, a Spider Conch, a Black Long Spine Urchin, snails, one Paly colony, a Red Feather Duster, and some small various hitch hikers. So for about 3 months, I was feeding VERY heavily- turning off all flow and target feeding about 1 teaspoon of phyto per day. But just 2 weeks ago, I started seeing the signs my tank displays of an upcoming algal bloom (more tiny feather dusters growing, some of these little white plants that I can' describe that come with lots of nutrients in my tank, and a few other things), so I have cut back my feeding to half a teaspoon of phyto every other day, and the signs of too many nutrients in my tank have started to level off and should start receding. My flower pot has not acted any differently since the changed feeding cycle, but honestly, it's still too soon to really make anything of that observation yet, IMO.

My verdict? Despite searching a number of times for information regarding flower pots, there's not a whole lot of recent or definitive information on caring for them- nearly all of what I've read has been old or anecdotal. Mine is doing fine so far, but my care has only been based on what "everyone has said" about them, not any real, empirical data from studies, sans the dissection finding the phyto. So I'd say "it's a risk to buy them, I've probably only been lucky so far with mine."

NOTE: There are actually two types of flower pots, one with 12 "tentacles" per polyp and one with (I think) 24 tentacles. I have, and am writing this post with respect to, the 24 tentacle specimen. As for I am writing this on break at work, I don't have the time to find the names and go into what I've read between the two types except for the 12 tentacle type is supposedly easier to care for, and I wrote this post with the 24 tentacle specimen in mind since I've found that to actually be sold much more commonly than the other type.

Again, this is all just my experience. HTH.

Last edited:
I bought a flower pot when i first started my 20g reef not knowing also but i have it to a friend with an established tank and it is still alive and well to this day (over a year now). I would either do the same or try to possibly take it back to the LFS...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A local LFS here has one that's easily TRIPLED in size and it's probably 2-3 years old now. His "secret to success" is VERY heavy feeding and UBER heavy skimming (that tank has 2 skimmers EACH rated at 2x tank capacity).

He feeds more in 2 days than most of us feed a tank in a month. This tank isn't "sterile" in respect to nutrients like many of our tanks are.

wm23oh

2) Tank age = 1MONTH (JUST MOVED FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AND UPGRADED FROM 55 TO 90GL USED NEW LIVE SAND AND USED LIVEROCK FROM OLD TANK.
Even with the old rock in this tank it's still new and may cycle so please watch your water quality at least daily until everything becomes predictable.
4) What chemicals do you dose in the tank? TRACE ELEMENTS ALL IN ONE. DONT REMEMBER NAME ON BOTTLE. WILL UPDATE WHEN I GET HOME.
As much as I dread asking (since I do not do this) do you verify what you are dosing? I dose much less than suggested and only dose 1 product and the amount per volume makes it impossible to overdose in my situation but from having a freshwater planted aquarium I know it's important to use trace elements.
1 LARGE SEABAY ANEMONE, 2 CANDYLACTUS ANEMONE, BUBBLETIP ANEMONE
Anemone's are difficult to keep and even more so in a newish tank not to mention they may even cause deaths to other items in your tank by waging a chemical warfare. Make sure you keep up with water changes and you may even want to do a few extras just to make sure. Make sure you skim and blow off the rock with a turkey baster or something to keep all that gunk from fowling the water.

I too started with an Anemone in a new tank and it was 100% by accident on my part as I was shocked it was in my online order. I tried to find it a new home but no one including my local LFS wanted it or was willing to take it.

Good luck and I highly recommend following what the others have suggested and one up them by researching constantly starting from a to z everything in your tank including even your choice of sand as you may learn something that may make life easier.

BTW have you light acclimated any new items to your tank? Too much light too quick may actually kill them. I suggest checking with others on here for more information.

It's almost unfair how much information one should have before starting a new thank (upgrading) verses how much information is provided. Please check several sources and if in doubt rule it out. You will enjoy this experience more and save $$$ following that advice.

And as a final note my Sabea is doing great. I feed it guppies just killed from my small 1 gal tank about once per week/month. It is getting most of it's food from my light and has colored up from being bright white to brown/greenish looking. Quite striking if I do say so myself.

Good luck and I can't stress enough take the time to research everything and then verify by researching over and over. You may find little tidbits of information that makes life easier as I have.

Best wishes,

James