Xenia sick HELP

PEMfish

Woke up today and saw my Xenia has turned black! Its still pulsing. To make things worst, the cat stole my test kit. Its an all in one. With the new sump going in I had some stuff out on the floor, much to his delight. Never thought twice. I wanted to get a new one anyway, but not like this. Not like this!
Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Xenia will "Change" and pout. Mine at home "Elongia" will go from pale pink to dark and dingy brown (almost a black) one day and the next back to normal. I usually don't worry about it unless it "melts" and when it does you wont have to say, " I wont if my xenia is melting??" You'll know it and it happens quickly. Even then there's not much you can do about it. Just be sure to check you water (like you're going to anyway just re-iterating it here) and adjust slowly if anything is out of whack. Be sure to check your salinity. They don't tolerate sudden changes up or down.

PEMfish

Testing out for now. I looked under the couch, everything. Salinity might be the problem. ( I killed my hydrometer 11 hours ago, it was a glass tube, and like I said, floor )
btw, I have pics.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow... how interesting. I've had my xenia to melt or pout but never turn dark. Test your water (ph,temp,alk,salinity,etc) and make sure all is in order.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have some "Dark Brown" this very minute here in my office tank. It's almost like it "Morphed" or something because it's ALL From the same original colony. I hadn't really looked that close till just now. It's dark brown but pulsing like normal but it's also more elongated and lower in the tank than the others! But it IS dark brown like in your pic Pemfish!!

Koda2007

Hi, How long have you had the xenia, what type is it. It looks like umbellata.
If it is these xenia's sometimes can have a dark body. Mine have had dark bodies unfortunately I do not have a picture to show you. They are completely white at the moment.

pompom_xenia2.jpg

This picture is from coralscaping.com

Koda2007

Quite honestly from your picture I do not think you have anything to worry about. The polyps are still open and waving. Just keep an eye on it. As I said the odd few of mine have actually changed from white to brown bodies and then back again. At no point was there a problem with the parameters. If a xenia is poorly in my experience they just go. The first indication is the polyps not waving and clamped and the bodies become deflated.

I hope everything goes well for you.

PEMfish

I hope so too. So its not true, once you go black, you never go back. ...

lol...

j/k...

Please don't convict.:invisible

PEMfish

Its pulsing s l o w l y. It has itself attached to a piece of LR that can't really come out. I'll keep my eye on it best I can.

PEMfish

Test comes back at ( new, cheap kit )
PH 8
Alk 240
NO2 .5
NO3 20

trates are higher than normal.

PEMfish

Dang Paul.. you crack me UP! :lol:

And I don't even have to say sorry to anyone. ( ...this time. )
The kit only has what I posted. It has hardness witch is pretty much the two combined but its only for FW!!! Thats a little wrong.