Xenia not opening or pulsing!

corsta007

I recently purchased a pulsing xenia about a week ago. It did really well on the first 2 days but it was in a really awkward position. I decided to move it and it thrived for another day. For another 3 days it was completely closed up and was not pulsing! I decided to move it to a higher lightened area but that did no good. Has anyone got any tips or solutions? I should note I have very healthy zoanthids, mushroom corals and gorgolia, it's only the xenia struggling.

Here are my specs

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.3
Size: 25 litres/ 6 USG
Salinity: 1.025

For calcium I use trace element twice weekly.
I use RO ready salinated water from the local store. I run a skimmer/hang on the back filter combo and a small internal filter for circulation but no pump. Is this my problem? Thanks...

Last edited:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS. I'd give them a couple more days to acclimate, especially if you've moved them around.

DaveK

Xenia is a funny coral in that it sometimes fails for no apparent reason. Some people can't seem to grow it at all, yet to others it's a weed.

Since this is a new coral for you, and you have been moving it around, I'd leave it alone for now.

A few other considerations -

Xenia may be affected by toxins put out by other corals. You might want to use carbon filtration since you have zoas and mushrooms.

Xenia needs good light, but it need not be extreme. Moving it to a high light area may have made it unhappy. They can tolerate high light, so in time it will come around.

Xenia does love circulation. Consider using a small powerhead to boost that.

I recommend that you discontinue the use of additives. In a nano they are often more trouble than they are worth. If you change 2 gal of water, you will have changed 1/3 of tank. That should be all you need to maintain it.

corsta007

Thank you so much. The advice you gave me has really helped and I will definitely get a powerhead! Thanks a bunch!

corsta007

Also im so new i dont even know how to post a new thread! I really wanna make one asking about good corals for small tanks and begginers! How do i do it?

ReefApprentice

Go to the forum section you create the thread and at the top above the posted threads there should be a new thread button its blue.Also give it a few days to acclimate-mine was curled up for the first week because the light was very different from my LFS.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

corsta007

GREAT NEWS! Today my xenia are starting to try and come out again, i also noticed it had leaned over to start a new stalk, hence why it shrivelled up and lean over! I will be sure to keep you updated!

lbiminiblue

I recently purchased a pulsing xenia about a week ago. It did really well on the first 2 days but it was in a really awkward position. I decided to move it and it thrived for another day. For another 3 days it was completely closed up and was not pulsing! I decided to move it to a higher lightened area but that did no good. Has anyone got any tips or solutions? I should note I have very healthy zoanthids, mushroom corals and gorgolia, it's only the xenia struggling.

Here are my specs

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.3
Size: 25 litres/ 6 USG
Salinity: 1.025

For calcium I use trace element twice weekly.
I use RO ready salinated water from the local store. I run a skimmer/hang on the back filter combo and a small internal filter for circulation but no pump. Is this my problem? Thanks...
they're temperamental, they melt away in a few days, and I never had success keeping them...now they're blooming like weeds in a well watered garden. Makes no sense. I had a barren frag plug lying around, and recently some xenias sprouted seemingly out of nowhere on it. Just watch and see what happens.

lbiminiblue

sorry i don't mean all melt away, only mine and a few did. They're sometimes super persnickety about water quality and other times can care less what you put in the tank. Just try lower or higher flow and lighting.