xenia coral purchase...

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
Today I was in this lfs (not one the usual ones I shop at) and they had a rock that had an enormous size "somewhat fragged" blue xenia. This thing was beautiful; no doubt. I couldn't believe my eyes! Could've been the lights, I wasn't sure. I've been looking for a xenia frag for what must have felt like forever. There was no mistakening it and I could have settled for a pom pom but a blue? NO WAY!

Anyways, I asked one of the store people how much for a frag? The girl who was working in there at the time was "clueless". The girl must've had the brains of a vegetable. She said, "Which one?" I looked at her and said, "The xenia?! That IS a xenia you have there...you do know that?" In the back of my mind I was like, "You don't have any other xenia in your entire 'store'; if you're even aware that this is a aquarium store." She was looking at me like, "I'm not sure which one is the xenia". I then said, "Is there someone here that knows anything about corals?"

Soon, another guy approached saying, "Can I help you?" Obviously my interests involved the xenia. After an exchange of a few words, he looked over and was like..."Oh! Yeah, the xenia! It's not for sale."

I was like, "WHAT?! Why is it in there then?" He tells me that it belongs to an associate in the store and he's not here right now but I can call him for you and see if he'd like to sell a frag of it. After he talks to the associate he tells me he'll sell me a 1/4" frag for $30. I mean...not even a branch. Clearly these guys are smokin' crack or something. I was thinking more along the lines of $10 bucks for that small of a frag. I was like, "keep it; I'll go somewhere else." That was the dumbest encounter I've ever had with any lfs. Not ever Petco was that stupid.

What do you guys think? $30 for a 1/4" frag? Is that a bit much? I kind of thought so. I've bought a 1 lb rock full of zoas for cheaper than that.

kyrie_eleison

I don't get it; the guy who had the xenia was telling me about how prolific and how hardy the coral was. Not just that, he said it grew out of control in his tank and yet he wanted so much for it. Just seems wrong. I doubt he'll be getting much business if any at all from me or anyone.

I have xenia growing like crazy in my sump are you in arizona? I will give you some of it. bring a large bucket and an ax to help get it out of the sump.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't get it; the guy who had the xenia was telling me about how prolific and how hardy the coral was. Not just that, he said it grew out of control in his tank and yet he wanted so much for it. Just seems wrong. I doubt he'll be getting much business if any at all from me or anyone.

Sounds like someone was wanting to make a killing off of nothing! Not a good idea and not a way to stay in business very long.

mswafford17 said:
bring a large bucket and an ax to help get it out of the sump.
:LOL:

Allen

kyrie_eleison

I have xenia growing like crazy in my sump are you in arizona? I will give you some of it. bring a large bucket and an ax to help get it out of the sump.

hahaha. That was actually kind of funny. No, I don't live in Arizona but I appreciate the generosity.

lcstorc

How about Florida? I don't have tons but have enough to share.
From what I know it doesn't ship well so look for someone local to you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've heard it doesn't ship well but I got some from a fellow RSer here and it shipped splendidly. In fact it was "pulsing" within minutes of being in My tank. she shipped it packaged EXTREMELY well and the disk was attached to a like sized piece of foam that kept the xenia in the water at all times. Very good idea.

Allen

kyrie_eleison

Isc,

That's alright. I just had some ideas on providing my b/w sebae clownfish a new home. I've tried a plate coral and the clownfish didn't seem to like it; I even got a condy but the condy didn't do so well and eventually died. Xenia just seemed like the best alternative. Right now, the sebae is always swimming around my goniopora and it kind of bothered me since goniopora can be delicate.

I appreciate your offer though.

lcstorc

How about some frogspawn. My maroon clown hosted in mine for a long time. I have also heard about many hosting in mushrooms.
Worth a try though.

kyrie_eleison

I have some frogspawn and a hammerhead (in same tank) but the frags are too small for the clownfish. It's just that I like xenia. With even little water movement, xenia looks so beautiful.

lcstorc

I agree it is wonderful.
Have you ever seen anthelia? It is a relative of xenia but looks like little palm trees. It can get out of hand just like the xenia but I really love it.
I have enough of that, that I would ship you some if you pay shipping cost. As long as I am sending I could send some xenia as well.

Today I was in this lfs (not one the usual ones I shop at) and they had a rock that had an enormous size "somewhat fragged" blue xenia. This thing was beautiful; no doubt. I couldn't believe my eyes! Could've been the lights, I wasn't sure. I've been looking for a xenia frag for what must have felt like forever. There was no mistakening it and I could have settled for a pom pom but a blue? NO WAY!

Anyways, I asked one of the store people how much for a frag? The girl who was working in there at the time was "clueless". The girl must've had the brains of a vegetable. She said, "Which one?" I looked at her and said, "The xenia?! That IS a xenia you have there...you do know that?" In the back of my mind I was like, "You don't have any other xenia in your entire 'store'; if you're even aware that this is a aquarium store." She was looking at me like, "I'm not sure which one is the xenia". I then said, "Is there someone here that knows anything about corals?"

Soon, another guy approached saying, "Can I help you?" Obviously my interests involved the xenia. After an exchange of a few words, he looked over and was like..."Oh! Yeah, the xenia! It's not for sale."

I was like, "WHAT?! Why is it in there then?" He tells me that it belongs to an associate in the store and he's not here right now but I can call him for you and see if he'd like to sell a frag of it. After he talks to the associate he tells me he'll sell me a 1/4" frag for $30. I mean...not even a branch. Clearly these guys are smokin' crack or something. I was thinking more along the lines of $10 bucks for that small of a frag. I was like, "keep it; I'll go somewhere else." That was the dumbest encounter I've ever had with any lfs. Not ever Petco was that stupid.

What do you guys think? $30 for a 1/4" frag? Is that a bit much? I kind of thought so. I've bought a 1 lb rock full of zoas for cheaper than that.

Thats way too much. I would give you one for free if you were local. $10 - $15 at most is what you should pay.

kyrie_eleison

Thats way too much. I would give you one for free if you were local. $10 - $15 at most is what you should pay.

Yeah, I agree. I think that those guys knew the rarity of the species but realized that if I had it I would have flooded the hobby in our area. I would have done the same thing as you--I would have given out small frags for free too. I thought $10 was being fair though. Oh well. I'll just have to set my sights elsewhere.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Unless they can legitimately justify it's price I don't normally pay more than $10 - $15 per frag. Now I HAVE paid more but there was a "reason" for it not just because the "guy said so". Too many times I've seen LFS guys taking advantage of little knowledge to "pad their wallets". Good news is what goes around very soon comes around. Knowledge is very powerful.

Allen

Yeah, I agree. I think that those guys knew the rarity of the species but realized that if I had it I would have flooded the hobby in our area. I would have done the same thing as you--I would have given out small frags for free too. I thought $10 was being fair though. Oh well. I'll just have to set my sights elsewhere.

What is your area? I am suprised its that rare anywhere.

kyrie_eleison

What is your area? I am suprised its that rare anywhere.

Sacramento, CA and outlying area. I've been to all fish stores in the area and I will admit that this store is the only one that had this species and I won't lie...it truly was beautiful and I nearly broke down and paid it but for some reason I think I exercised too much pride. There's other LFS guys in the outlying areas just outside Sacramento (one guy in Roseville who's a REALLY nice guy and very very knowledgeable; won't rip you off and will bend a little to get your business) that give better deals but his pickings are slim and a lot of times, it's hit or miss. He has too many customers and ALL usually beat you to his stash before you even set foot in the store.

As for the xenia, it was unique and it PULSED which is the reason why I wanted it so bad. I have never seen a soft coral do that!Virtually "hypnotic". I'm sure other places in the area have them but for some reason theirs was clearly the most impressive.

BEELZEBOB

if that is true "blue xenia" thats a steal.

blue xenia is a covited coral that is rare and awsome. they are whitish with metallic translucient blue and purple hues.

normal xenia is ugly imo, but the real tru blue stuff can gor for 100 a frag.

id go back, and get it.

you know how normal xenia is like reddish aptasia brown? if the color of the stuff you talkin about is white with metallic hues, grab it.

kyrie_eleison

Bob,

$30 bucks for that small of a frag isn't worth it. If you truly knew what I was describing, you would agree.