Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just another update from me :) lol I like getting the camera out during a water change, sorry if anyone is sick of me :p

First time in a couple of weeks I decided to run some tests on the tanks and see how everything is running and if it's all smooth sailing lol I'll be honest and say I rarely test my levels haha once every few weeks, if things were looking off I'd test more frequently but given that I'm really happy with the tank I'd say I don't really need to very often.
Alk: Steady at 2.7meq/L (or 7.56dKH), it's always tested at that the last few months.
Mg: 1200ppm - we're finally getting somewhere lol
Ca: 300ppm - still on the low side so I might bump dosing up another couple of ml's
K+: 380ppm - so close but no cigar, I'm dosing a teaspoon of Continuum K+ powder every second day.

The other thing I did for the first time in WAY TOO LONG, was clean the glass cover on the lights haha I'm going to be doing that weekly now with my water change lol I reckon I was down to 60-50% light emission it was that filthy... oooopppsss!! And the acro's were definitely not happy about it! In the two/three days since cleaning it, they've gone bananas! Please everyone clean their covers haha don't be lazy like me!!

I suppose I better stop talking and boring you to death and get on with the pics lol I wish it were easy to say that I'll start with my favourite but given how much I love everything I'll just start with one of my favourites as they pretty much all are haha
So the Firetruck is finally getting it's metallic green base back and since cleaning the light cover the red has deepened much more! It's a lot easier to show what the acro should be doing as the frags are doing it currently. This little tiny nub was a deep red branch tip that broke off and this is what it's doing now, you can just see some red starting to form on what's going to be a growth tip:

And one day I'm hoping it'll turn out like this:

One of my soft spot acro's is the strawberry shortcake, I think there's three pieces in my tank lol two the same species and one different species, there's still one more species I'd love to get though! The colour difference is fairly obvious, they're both under similar amounts of light too. Species 1:

Species 2, I think I need a little more food stuff in the tank as it's paled off a little but I've nearly doubled my feeding so let's see what happens haha

Some of the really cool acro's I have are really coming along! The purple on this one is coming back since cleaning the glass!

This is the only ever spathulata that I've had luck with and I have to say I'm glad it is, it's friggin amazing!

Rob has still given me some of my favourite pieces (I use that word again lol), they're all killer Rob!

Lots of encrusting occuring, I think given the flow in the tank now it's unsurprising lol

This thing encrusts as fast as a monti lol

And lucky last, one of the coolest looking acro's in the tank, fairly certain it's a. loripes!

mtsully71

Well lookee here, more excellent photos of &*$# I can't get, thanks for sharing. The spathulata and the loripes are way cool cobber :smokin:.

Envy noun, plural envies.
a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc. :drool:

Very much looking forward to my order next Tuesday, other than 2 coral I specifically asked for, it's owner's pick. Man, does he have some cool stuff. Please let there be a loripes :fingerscrossed:

Cheers buddy

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looking good as usual. Thinking about doing a waterchange myself so maybe some pics from me today
Thanks man :) You pics and acro's are looking sweet as well!

Well lookee here, more excellent photos of &*$# I can't get, thanks for sharing. The spathulata and the loripes are way cool cobber :smokin:.

Envy noun, plural envies.
a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc. :drool:

Very much looking forward to my order next Tuesday, other than 2 coral I specifically asked for, it's owner's pick. Man, does he have some cool stuff. Please let there be a loripes :fingerscrossed:

Cheers buddy
haha yeah those two are some pretty awesomely coloured pieces :D

I can't wait to see what you get either, I'm going to be regularly hitting refresh on your thread so don't you
disappoint me with no updates or pictures!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just for something different this is a worded only update :p
So in the next couple of months my parents are planning on selling our current house (yep still living at home lol) and moving closer into the Melbourne CBD at Port Melbourne, not what I want! I'm not really a city person and the driving and traffic around those areas is bloody awful! So instead, I'm moving in with my wonderful partner to her apartment in a very nearby suburb (less than 5mins from my parents current house lol).
With this decision came some very hard thoughts and choices about the tank and what I was going to do! Originally I was planning on downsizing and taking my favourite bits and some of my fish because I obviously didn't want to burden my partner with the CADE coming with me but one day she did surprise me (I think simply because she's currently trying everything to get me to move in haha) and says that it's more than okay that I bring the CADE :D she even said she wants me too because she would hate to see me lose some of my stock knowing full well how much I love everyone and thing in my tank :) I've got myself a real keeper ;) haha
So now begins the process of deciding on how I'm going to go about this and sort out the move and setup again lol I have a few plans in mind for how I'm going to do it, I just hope it goes as smoothly as I'm hoping it does haha so the plans are:
- Buy new rock and get that in a tub with no light and some phos media and cycle it for a month or three lol haven't decided on base or live yet. Mainly because of the period of time this rock will spend in the dark and with absolutely no nutrients, whether it starts of live or dead probably won't matter a great deal in the end! I'm thinking about super fresh live simply for the variety and diversity of life that's present. I'l also be dosing some bacteria during this time to really build levels and cycle this rock to perfections lol
- I'm getting a new sump made by my LFS, sick to death of the annoying shape, size and amount of wasted space in my current one! My LFS is a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to reefing so this sump is going to be pretty crazy awesome given the size lol
- Redo the plumbing completely! I'm going to turn it into a bean animal overflow and completely eliminate any noise from it, the current plumbing is pretty shoddy! lol
- Get a nice cabinet and organise and hide all of my controllers, doser and cabling nicely! :)

Then it's the daunting task of breaking the tank down into a tub, cleaning everything, moving the tank across, re-install everything, add water and awesome rock, double cycle with the zeo 14 day cycle again, start moving all my fish and corals across in several batches :) I think the plan looks alright but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what actually happens haha

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Daunting, but very exciting at the same time. In man ways!
Completely! I'm looking forward to getting my acro layout a little more contrasting :)

Why new rock? Didn't you just put new rock in with the reboot?
Dunno, because I have the chance to do it the way I originally wanted without having to worry about time constraints as much. Also because somehow caulerpa nummularia got back into my tank so I want to get rid of that along with what I suspect is phos leaching from one or two of the rocks!

mtsully71

Just for something different this is a worded only update :p
I obviously didn't want to burden my partner with the CADE coming with me but one day she did surprise me (I think simply because she's currently trying everything to get me to move in haha) and says that it's more than okay that I bring the CADE :D she even said she wants me too because she would hate to see me lose some of my stock knowing full well how much I love everyone and thing in my tank :) I've got myself a real keeper ;) haha

And 18 years later you have a mortgage, dumpling, to many pets, and your wallet is their bank.......All fun and games, it's how we poor bastards get sucked in. red flags UP! :whip:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
And 18 years later you have a mortgage, dumpling, to many pets, and your wallet is their bank.......All fun and games, it's how we poor bastards get sucked in. red flags UP! :whip:
Hahaha I don't mind getting sucked in. As long as the other person is equally insane and I've found my counterpart nutter :p

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So my tank is running pretty smoothly except for some bloody algae issues!! I ALWAYS seem to get the species that love to thrive in low nutrient environments while it' not on certain sections of the scape, the algae has almost taken over my zoa's and the shell of my clam and I'm just over it! Enough is enough, I'm bringing out... The Algaecide!! Now usually I'm hugely against chemicals, treatments, quick fixes and the likes but it's starting to effect my corals and I'm sick of the shit, especially the shit doesn't need nutrients (not bryopsis lol).
I did a heap of reading a research on Algaefix after being recommended it by a couple of people I trust, so after reading through the 92 or so page thread on RC I decided that I'm going to give it a whirl. A whirl I am, first dose was done yesterday morning.
The report: Maxima does not like it lol she was shut for a good little while but is completely fine and healthy and clam two did not react at all Also some of the pe on some of my acro's went friggin BALLISTIC I've never seen such a response from anything! lol All in all, first dose went off without a hitch and dose number two is happening on Friday morning

Here are the nasties as proof and so I can compare in a week or two after the dosing has been happening for a few doses! I should only need about 4-7 from everyone else's experiences with it. Keep your fingers crossed! Glorious, glorious algae!
http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1123_zpsnavy0wh7.jpg.html]
IMG_1123_zpsnavy0wh7.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1124_zpsgbwkjjls.jpg.html]
IMG_1124_zpsgbwkjjls.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1125_zpsm257etoq.jpg.html]
IMG_1125_zpsm257etoq.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1126_zps94yxe5le.jpg.html]
IMG_1126_zps94yxe5le.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1127_zpsngjd8uv2.jpg.html]
IMG_1127_zpsngjd8uv2.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1128_zps9ngw0qie.jpg.html]
IMG_1128_zps9ngw0qie.jpg
[/URL]

Oxylebius

Been away from the forum for a bit, just catching up....

So now begins the process of deciding on how I'm going to go about this and sort out the move and setup again lol I have a few plans in mind for how I'm going to do it, I just hope it goes as smoothly as I'm hoping it does haha so the plans are:

You've done enough moving and changing that you're a pro at this and won't have any issues :fingerscrossed:

I ALWAYS seem to get the species that love to thrive in low nutrient environments

The problem is that no matter what environment you have, high nutrients, low nutrients, or somewhere in between, there is ALWAYS a species that that you don't want that thrives :). I'm currently dealing with rouge blue monti digi that acts more like an encrusting monti and is taking over every little bit of my tank. Loosing some acros and caps to it as it creeps up the stock from the rock. :txchainsaw:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Any noticeable changes in algae yet
Yes! I'm hoping that the changes I've noticed are the beginnings of the end for this algae :) I've got some pics to come :)

Been away from the forum for a bit, just catching up....
You've done enough moving and changing that you're a pro at this and won't have any issues :fingerscrossed:
haha I don't know about a pro but I'm hoping that my experience in restarting the tank will help a little bit in moving and doing it safely!

The problem is that no matter what environment you have, high nutrients, low nutrients, or somewhere in between, there is ALWAYS a species that that you don't want that thrives :). I'm currently dealing with rouge blue monti digi that acts more like an encrusting monti and is taking over every little bit of my tank. Loosing some acros and caps to it as it creeps up the stock from the rock. :txchainsaw:
This is oh so true, I'm just trying to reduce the amount of different species haha kill off this and that and hopefully destroy some bubble algae! I just want it to effect the caulerpa nummularia! I hate that stuff!!!!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well it's been about a week and three/four doses of Algaefix at 5ml and I have to say, while touching as much wood as I can find, that it appears to be working and I also have some bubble algae beginning to show signs of weakness and decline so I'm hoping that it means that it will work on those *******s haha
We've gone from this:

To this:

So I guess you could say there's some improvement occurring :) I've still got a another week or three of upped dosage before I will probably see some really good results but we're getting there and I've had nothing die or look worse for wear so, touching wood again, I'm hoping the trends continue! This is the bane of my existence though, caulerpa ****ing nummularia!

This stuff is tough so I'm hoping with some persistence the magic can be worked on it too.

Well onto something a little more positive now :) It's been quite a substantial period of time since I've gotten myself any new zoa's and well I decided to end that with a bang! Placed an order with Exotic Aquaculture Australia after their most recent release and holy **** I am once again blown away by the quality of the zoa's that I got Wednesday this week :D knocked a few goodies of my list too! This ordered contained Sakura Sunrise's, Flaming Sun's, Blue Agave's, Devil's Stare and a single True Blue Hornet polyp too :D
Just a few hours after landing this is what the new babies were looking like! (Sunny D looking mighty fine too lol)

Sakura's, holy moly gaucamole these things have nearly gone to my favourite of all time! Can't beat Aus Rainbows though ;)

Flaming Sun's on the left (yes they are that bright in person!) and Blue Agave on the left, it's hard to get the colours to show properly but they're a simply stunning zoa!

After taking my top down's they got placed on my special rack with all my favourite bits and frags :)

(Aus rainbows are middle on the left side)

All in all things seem to be improving every day. Fingers crossed for the continuation of this trend! lol

rostervandross

Wrangy your tank is one of my favorites man. The sort of dark structure with the reds and oranges has a serious effect. Really like your kole tang. It's just sweet.

Ill have to read further back into your thread.. What kind of lighting are you on currently?