Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
She is a beauty! Well done! ;)

Thanks Frankie :) Along with my maxima she's my favourite invert in the tank!
All that's left for me clam wise is a T. ningaloo or T. noae :) but it'll be an aqaucultured one from AcroAl here who is breeding and growing his own clams :D He is doing AMAZING work and already has some amazing clams out there!!

cracker

Wrangy,If I may change the subject for a bit. I'm curious as to the laws protecting marine life in Your country. With all the reefs, there I guess a lot of marine life is protected. Can You buy local corals? Here in Florida We have the FWC (Florida wildlife commission ). What is the name of Yours? Thanks!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wrangy,If I may change the subject for a bit. I'm curious as to the laws protecting marine life in Your country. With all the reefs, there I guess a lot of marine life is protected. Can You buy local corals? Here in Florida We have the FWC (Florida wildlife commission ). What is the name of Yours? Thanks!

No worries, happy for a topic change :)

Our laws are very strict here and punishments are serious and heavy. No collection is allowed in any of the marine parks or around teh Great Barrier Reef as they are heavily protected and patrolled. A large portion of our coastlines are protected and collection is illeagal, even by those with licenses. Things like rocks and algae are all under this cover and you're not allowed to remove things from the beaches.
There are still quite a few reefs that are able to be collected from but licenses are required and it's still heavily regulated :) That being said yes we get plenty of local corals, most are in fact local as most corals are banned for import due to our very strong bio-security laws! Occasionally shipments from Indonesia and the surrounds come through with some nice pieces but most of the coral on the Australian market is of local origin. We unfortunately lose a large portion of the high quality and rare stock as they fetch much larger prices in the US so they get shipped off but slowly do we get a trickle of the amazing stock that you see regularly :)
Our acropora stocks are very good very frequently, euphyllia, catalaphyllia and the like are very cheap and beautiful because of the local availability and the ease of which they are obtained.

Even our aquaculture, mariculture and general propagation of corals is regulated (which I think is stupid given the aim of these people!). The prime example is our amazing AcroAl, who is the first person in the world to have breed and aquacultured clams of several different species! He has had to jump through hoop after hoop to get the correct permissions and approvals and documents just to be able to sell and such!

Most of our permits and regulations come through the Wildlife and Fishery authorities, councils have a say as well, the EPA is involved and for the Great Barrier Reef, the government run Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority are in control :)

Hopefully that helps answer your question :) Sing out if you want to know anything else or need clarification :)

cracker

Thank You Wrangy, The laws here in Florida are very strict as well. They need to be, otherwise the profiteers would take it all. However it's the same here. Those who are raising /cultivating also fall into these rules. The steps needed to just get a licence for aquaculture here in florida is mind boggleing! Thank for the insight !

cracker

very cool! I was just checking the recreational fishing regs from the Queensland dept of agriculture,fisheries and forestry. Thanks Wrangy!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No worries mate :) Happy to offer what I know :)

In other news, I'm on Day 8 of the 14 Day ZEOvit cycle and things are progressing along nicely :)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
Phos: 0ppm

I'll be waiting unit Day 14 before I add anything even though it's acceptable after Day 10 just for some added measures :)
Zoa's will be first and ric's next :)

Blndbunny

I also waited till after day 14 to add most things. At the end of day 9 I added a few corals that were not doing well and they recovered beautifully by moving them

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I might put some snails and such in earlier just to start clearing some of the detritus before any corals and such :)

Got a little further with the scape too (ignore the fungia skeleton), let me know what you all think:

Left side:

Right side:

Oxylebius

That a nice arrangement. Nice big caves to allow much needed water flow between rocks and between rocks and the back of the tank. Some nice perches for acros to grow from, for both that like to branch upward and shelf out. Nice arrangement of a low rock surrounded by sand. But where are the two clams gonna go? Doesn't seem like much room on the sand bed for them and the one low rock on the sand bed won't hold both clams would it? Size is deceiving in your pics, the tank looks like a small nano w/small rocks, but I know that tank is like 50g right?

anarchy

No worries, happy for a topic change :)

Our laws are very strict here and punishments are serious and heavy. No collection is allowed in any of the marine parks or around teh Great Barrier Reef as they are heavily protected and patrolled. A large portion of our coastlines are protected and collection is illeagal, even by those with licenses. Things like rocks and algae are all under this cover and you're not allowed to remove things from the beaches.
There are still quite a few reefs that are able to be collected from but licenses are required and it's still heavily regulated :) That being said yes we get plenty of local corals, most are in fact local as most corals are banned for import due to our very strong bio-security laws! Occasionally shipments from Indonesia and the surrounds come through with some nice pieces but most of the coral on the Australian market is of local origin. We unfortunately lose a large portion of the high quality and rare stock as they fetch much larger prices in the US so they get shipped off but slowly do we get a trickle of the amazing stock that you see regularly :)
Our acropora stocks are very good very frequently, euphyllia, catalaphyllia and the like are very cheap and beautiful because of the local availability and the ease of which they are obtained.

Even our aquaculture, mariculture and general propagation of corals is regulated (which I think is stupid given the aim of these people!). The prime example is our amazing AcroAl, who is the first person in the world to have breed and aquacultured clams of several different species! He has had to jump through hoop after hoop to get the correct permissions and approvals and documents just to be able to sell and such!

Most of our permits and regulations come through the Wildlife and Fishery authorities, councils have a say as well, the EPA is involved and for the Great Barrier Reef, the government run Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority are in control :)

Hopefully that helps answer your question :) Sing out if you want to know anything else or need clarification :)
Wow that's weird.
I would think Australia would have the most amazing coral being kept locally, but makes sense to ship to where the money is. I was talking to a guy in the UK and he said the sticks they get...If they get any aren't that good.
ANARCHY

Blndbunny

I like your aquascape, but I do have to agree the tank looks smaller then I know it is. I also went with a horseshoe shape, and So far my flow is really good in the tank, and I'm not seeing dead spots

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That a nice arrangement. Nice big caves to allow much needed water flow between rocks and between rocks and the back of the tank. Some nice perches for acros to grow from, for both that like to branch upward and shelf out. Nice arrangement of a low rock surrounded by sand. But where are the two clams gonna go? Doesn't seem like much room on the sand bed for them and the one low rock on the sand bed won't hold both clams would it? Size is deceiving in your pics, the tank looks like a small nano w/small rocks, but I know that tank is like 50g right?

Pretty happy with it and flow is going to work really well through and around it :) should have some nice happy sps in there!
The pics do make it look a lot smaller, my big maxima may cause a slight rescape to occur but I'm thinking it might sit slightly off centre in the middle, so a tight squeeze but I'll have to see how things go with it. I'll work something out :) I'll have to haha

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow that's weird.
I would think Australia would have the most amazing coral being kept locally, but makes sense to ship to where the money is. I was talking to a guy in the UK and he said the sticks they get...If they get any aren't that good.
ANARCHY

Yep all the super zoanthids, ricordea and LPS mainly go over to the states. Our base level acro's and such are still pretty amazing though and much cheaper than some of the prices you guys pay for the same thing lol the UK lose out on a lot of stuff lol

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I like your aquascape, but I do have to agree the tank looks smaller then I know it is. I also went with a horseshoe shape, and So far my flow is really good in the tank, and I'm not seeing dead spots

It does always make things look smaller the pics, I think once there's a bit more depth and variation with corals it will look completely different but it does look a bit condensed haha I'm happy with the layout and may actually be keeping the bare bottom, I'll have to see how things go!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Part of my restart was to make things much easier and simpler than what I had and to also keep things a heck of a lot more tidy and today I got most of the way through that :D I sent some time with the good old cable tidy-hidey lol and organised the cabling in my sump and all of the little control boxes that run and maintain my lovely little glass box of water!

It really is amazing how much more clean and tidy the sump looks just by hiding a few cables:

No sand in the tank yet which is why the sump appears to be lit haha

The next step I was going to put all of the boxes into a cabinet next to the sump to hide them and make things a little tidier but I decided to mount them on the side of the tank instead as it's easier to see and use that way, they can always be moved later if needed :)

Not a pro job or anything but I'm happy with it and it certainly makes things a crapload easier!! All I need to do now it tidy up a few last cables and get a small cabinet for my dosing equipment and any tank stuff I want to keep near the tank :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Had my water tested today at my lfs too and it's all A+ across the board! Except for 5ppm nitrate but that's meant to be there lol so zeo has worked and today is day 14 so things will begin the adding process soon!!
Also aquakneaded the rockwork in place so it's nearly all ready! :D