Wow..

bennyd

Just wow... I placed an order with Dr Foster Smith on october 31st... Nothing big, nothing heavy... Estimated delivery date is November 10th and the order WAS shipped out on the 31st... 11 Days in transit from Wisconsin to Ohio through FedEx? Seems a little long... Not too happy about this as I ordered my testing supplies and a nice big power head.

sambrinar

That is a wow. I always get mine in about 7 days from Wisconsin to AZ.. I just ordered from there, we'll see how long it takes for me.

Maybe pony express instead :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's been MY luck with them as well. I think they "issue" the tracking #'s in-house well before the items actually get changed to "In-transit".

I just found out today that my LFS is having some GREAT price decreases and are literally KILLING the prices on Dr F&S even before I add shipping. I got a 200g bucket of saltmix " TM Reef Pro" for $75.00 and Drs F&S are selling it for I think $84 and I'd have to pay S/H to the online purchase :)

Hopefully your "Goods" will come in quicker than estimated :)

bennyd

They had to issue the tracking # well before it was in transit... I couldn't even track the # for the first 8-10 hours after receiving it. This isn't fair. Why does Ohio have to suck so bad in my area in the LFS department?! Grrr.

That's been MY luck with them as well. I think they "issue" the tracking #'s in-house well before the items actually get changed to "In-transit".

I just found out today that my LFS is having some GREAT price decreases and are literally KILLING the prices on Dr F&S even before I add shipping. I got a 200g bucket of saltmix " TM Reef Pro" for $75.00 and Drs F&S are selling it for I think $84 and I'd have to pay S/H to the online purchase :)

Hopefully your "Goods" will come in quicker than estimated :)

lcstorc

Compared to Al's reports Cocoa is awful as well. I order most of my stuff on-line as well. I use sponsors whenever possible but anytime I have used Fosters and Smith I have gotten my order rather quickly. Maybe I have just been lucky. Maybe it is because when I do order with them it is very large because I am getting items for all of my animals at once. Birds, dogs, cats, reptiles, fish. I'm not sure if the size of the order makes a difference or not but the delivery guy is not happy with me.

BarbMazz

They had to issue the tracking # well before it was in transit... I couldn't even track the # for the first 8-10 hours after receiving it. This isn't fair. Why does Ohio have to suck so bad in my area in the LFS department?! Grrr.

Where are you at in Ohio, bennyd? I'm near Cleveland, and I feel your pain about the LFS situation.

When I order drygoods from DFS it's always here more quickly than what's estimated. Also, they ship Fedex "home delivery" which is Fedex's least expensive, longest method of shipping. It's basically delivery by subcontractors in your area. So, some of the delay CAN be if the subcontractor is not on the ball. When my stuff is delivered it's in a U Haul rented truck, not a Fedex truck at all! lol

cbrownfish

I heard that they have some box turtles painted white w/ FedEx on them. I am betting that the TurtleEx is what they used. :)

BigJay

I've got a thread up about this very issue. I will get you an email address to forward your problem too. They seem to be in denial there is an issue but one lady at least said she cares about whats going on.
Like AL said they generate a tracking number as soon as the warehouse processes the order but it can be 24-48 hours before its shipped out from there. So 24 hours to process 48 hours to ship.. 3 days before it hits fedex then it goes through smarkpak which is a USPS switch over and your central station for USPS maybe pretty far off the route. USPS then has to process it and then mail it to you.
Its a really bad system and the reason I no longer shop there.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I get most of my supplies from Aquarium Specialty's and I have to say, There shipping is the best I have seen yet for dry goods.

BigJay

sorry I deleted the email. If you check ebay its the lady handling the ebay sales. I think user name is liveaquaria something or other.

bennyd

Well, I would have went elsewhere but the testing kit i wanted was on sale through them for like 50% off... So I got a 60$ test kit for 30$... And they were also having a big sale on maxi-jets, with the sure floe, so I got the test kit, a maxi-jet 1200, and the 2100 GPH mod package for the maxi-jet for 70$ delivered! That's an awesome deal compared to most I've seen!

naperenterprise

Yeah but you have to admit the shipping cost for DFS is pretty good.
Does anyone recomend a better shopping site with great shipping? I would be interested in comparing prices...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jason you make a great point. S/H from other sites for HEAVY items is almost silly. Then I go to 2 Dr's and it's $10? So of course I load my "Cart" full to take advantage of the great pricing. Well I did... one of my LFS will try to match online pricing and on my order of Salt Mix he BEAT it. Yeah BEAT the 2 Dr's and assured me he's still making some profit (I'm in retail and don't expect anything for free and don't WANT someone to lose $$$ to get my business). The best part is he ordered the salt yesterday and it's going to arrive tomorrow. All I have to do is drop buy and pick it up.

Sorry about the mild Hi-Jack :D

Raoul5Duke

BennyD & Barb,
There are two really good (IMO) LFS near Cleveland, Aquatic Technology in Columbia Station and The Salty Critter in Vermillion. Both have websites. Pretty good haul from Akron area, but still faster than shipping from out of state if you need something in a rush. Hope that helps.

lcstorc

Doesn't help for the really heavy stuff like salt and such but I find Premium Aquatics (a sponsor) to often have the best prices on equipment. I always check sponsors and if they have the same or a better price I order from them. I really only go to Fosters when I need a huge order with salt and food for all the critters etc.

bennyd

LoL Check this out..

Date Time Description Location
November 6, 2008 5:34 AM Sortation Center Departure LEETSDALE, PA
November 6, 2008 4:27 AM Electronic Shipping Info Received CANTON, OH *
November 6, 2008 12:00 AM USPS Electronically Notified CANTON,OH
November 5, 2008 5:26 AM Sortation Center Arrival LEETSDALE, PA
November 4, 2008 9:24 AM Sortation Center Departure NEW BERLIN, WI
November 3, 2008 9:37 PM Sortation Center Arrival NEW BERLIN, WI

Why go from WI to PA then to OH? Heh, whatever..

sambrinar

LoL Check this out..

Date Time Description Location
November 6, 2008 5:34 AM Sortation Center Departure LEETSDALE, PA
November 6, 2008 4:27 AM Electronic Shipping Info Received CANTON, OH *
November 6, 2008 12:00 AM USPS Electronically Notified CANTON,OH
November 5, 2008 5:26 AM Sortation Center Arrival LEETSDALE, PA
November 4, 2008 9:24 AM Sortation Center Departure NEW BERLIN, WI
November 3, 2008 9:37 PM Sortation Center Arrival NEW BERLIN, WI

Why go from WI to PA then to OH? Heh, whatever..

This looks like a flight layover. Like Flying from AZ to PA with a layover in CA or NV.... hmmm wrong direction. Makes no sense!!!!