Would like thoughts on algae problem

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Okay guys, I have an algae issue and I am hoping that I can get some ideas on how to approach this. I know the mantra on algae control, but this tank is not a typical tank and so I am blazing new ground here. I have a buddy with a very similar setup going through the same issues. I think we missed something in our setup but not sure what it is.

Okay , so here is the tank. Standard 90 gallon tank, 48x18x24. Lighting is 2x250w MH 10k bulbs, 4x54w T5 supplemental (3 ATI Blue+; 1 UVL 75.25). The system is setup as a lagoon/seagrass environment. I have 50 pounds of LR in the tank, and a 5” sand bed. I cannot really add more LR as I need to preserve the open sand if at all possible.

Current inhabitants of the tank are a lawnmower blenny and a yellow watchman. Inverts are two cleaner shrimp, a tiger pistol shrimp, a montipora digitata frag, a couple of mushrooms and some anthelia. There is a BSJ that went awol about 10 days ago.

When the watchman is out in the evening, the tank will get fed once a day. If he is in his burrow and has collapsed the entrances, I do not feed; so the tank gets fed between 4 and 6 times a week. Food is rinsed in RO, and is either frozen mysis or Rods. Couple times a week a few shrimp pellets are tossed into the fuge.

Sump is a 30 long with a fuge. Fuge is about 20” long and is growing gracillaria and chaeto.

Mechanical filtration is filter socks; 200 micron socks that get swapped out every 2-3 days. Water changes are 20 gallons per week. RO/DI, 0 TDS, Brightwell Salt

NO3 – 0 meg/l
PO4 - not detectable
Mg – 1280
Ca – 410 ppm
SG – 1.025
Temperature – 76-78

CUC – snails. Ceriths, dwarf ceriths, nerites, one turbo, two cowries. No hermits or emeralds. They would cause a lot of damage to the infauna of the sandbed and so cannot add them. A constraint of the lagoon.

Skimmer is a Reef Octo DNWB 150; produces almost nothing

Water movement is an MP20, K4, and the return. Tank is about 5 months old.

I have uncontrolled hair algae growth all over my rocks

What I am doing to try and get things under control

Upgrade skimmer to SWC 160 Cone
Add 15 pound base rock to fuge
Increase turnover through sump (from 600 GPH to 1000 GPH)
Planted black mangrove in DT (grown about 5” in 3 weeks which is just crazy. Started with 2 leaves, now 10)
Increased fuge photo period to 18 hours a day
Added chaeto ball to DT in one of Jays pod hotels
Added NP biopellets to BRS media reactor (think vodka dosing)

Now, everything seems healthy. The seagrass, the monti was just a nub that broke off at work and is growing like gang busters. There is so little out there on the cycling of a seagrass tank I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or this is just part of the process to reach equilibrium. Any suggestions as to what I could do or do different would be much appreciated

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm inclined to think that it's what you're feeding. Rod's is a GREAT all around food but this tank isn't really set up for that much nutrients (few corals, no filter feeders mentioned etc). The smaller particles are most likely just hanging around and adding to the problem. This is one time when I don't think I'd use Rod's food.

Notice you mention "growing like crazy". This is also a good indicator of excess nutrients in the system. Many people have phenomenal growth just before (and during until it gets out of control) a bad algae out-break.

I'd probably switch over to a non "Coral" food and see how much I could get out of the tank in a hurry.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
**PS - You don't know how tempted I was to quote a newbie "Algae Lecture" but I did refrain :D

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
**PS - You don't know how tempted I was to quote a newbie "Algae Lecture" but I did refrain :D

Yeah, I thought of your newbie lecture. I have pretty much cut back my feedings to mysis at this point, and use Jay's eyedropper so I can target feed the goby so I don't blast it over the whole tank.

I can drop rods completely; but point is not much food going in anyway. Not enough to account for the growth. I agree its nutrients, just do not know where it is all coming from.

Was fine before I went on vacation for the holidays; tank exploded while I was gone and there were no feedings done during those 10 days at all.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's very baffling in such a unique system. I'm still sticking with my guns on the Rod's. I suspect it's accumulated and the HA is just now taking off. Also what temp are you running the tank? The higher temps I run the more algae problems I have.

1Reefer

Following this thread as I have a minor hair algae problem (came from nowhere while I wasn't feeding at all) so I'm gonna sit back an see what I can soak up through rthis thread.

OHreefer

What is your alkalinity? I heard that higher alkalinity levels will help with hair algae. Also, you can run a phosphate remover. I use an activated carbon with phosphate remover. I know your phosphates are zero, but it can't hurt.

johnalex99

Hi all,

Clown's buddy chiming in. I'm doing a similar seagrass habitat, but I only installed my mud and planted my grasses about 10 days ago, so I'm at a different stage of things. Mine is a red filamentous algae at this point, but plenty of it, with a little hair algae coming. Many snails are on the way!

My nitrates and phosphates also measure zero, which is a frustrating thing my wife runs into in her freshwater tanks. How is all this algae burgeoning, seemingly from excess nutrients, but none is in the water column?

Clown and I both put in a one inch layer of rich, thick mud from Reefcleaners. I know this has got to be full of nutrients, and may be a factor.

I am not feeding my tank at all yet--no fish or corals. So it's not that.

Clown, I know you had a different algae, similar to mine, which you got through before the hair algae took over. How do you think you got rid of that one?

The biggest lead to me is that it happened when you went away for 10 days. What do you think changed in that time?

My setup is a bit different (very little rock, no skimmer, ATS), but we're trying to do the same habitat and we started with some of the same ingredients, so I'll be following in your footsteps, most likely.

Can you post a pic of the offending algae? Here's mine, covering all of my grass blades. I think it's polysiphonia, which Calfo and Fenner reference in Reef Invertebrates (p. 107), although they don't have a ton to say about it.

IMG_4238.jpg

John

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
My computer with photoshop on it is not working. If I take a picture, can someone photoshop it for me? Crop it and zoom maybe, resize (all mine are 17 meg on my camera lol)

drbark

It seems you are pretty religious about water changes and testing parameters. In those 10 days that you were gone, was a water change done? Maybe your nutrient level was just under the threshold of growing the algae, then by just skipping one water change it set the whole thing off. Food for thought.

:biker