Woodstock's 90 gallon

pmac90

yeah, booze... I had actually been planning on an acrylic or plywood tank project for some time now. She just really sparked it and gave me the last few tips I needed to feel comfy with doing it. I'm very excited.

BrothaWolf

Doni any advantage to having your baffles that way? I was doing mine opposite with the one in the middle up in the air (easier to silicone baffles sitting on the bottom of the tank than up)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I was reading that doing it this way would alleviate more bubbles. Since bubbles tend to float and not sink, having the first baffle high (with open bottom) maks the water enter from the bottom, preventing more bubbles from entering.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Btw... I found a glass company just a few miles down the road that will drill and cut the glass panes for me. :dance: The drilling cost will be 1/2 what the LFS quoted me. So not only am I saving money, I am eliminating a 4 hr drive (2 trips to the lfs), and gaining experience! :D

New 40 gal breeder $80
4 Glass panes for baffles $32.50
1 1 3/4 hole drilled $6.00
Silicone approx $4

Not bad! :thumbup:

BrothaWolf

I was reading that doing it this way would alleviate more bubbles. Since bubbles tend to float and not sink, having the first baffle high (with open bottom) maks the water enter from the bottom, preventing more bubbles from entering.

well I already got my glass cut... if youre going to do that and keep your water height at 10" you will need one piece 17 3/8" x 10 for the center and two pieces 17 3/8 x 11 You could even make them taller since they are your end baffles and will be up off the bottom

BrothaWolf

Btw... I found a glass company just a few miles down the road that will drill and cut the glass panes for me. :dance: The drilling cost will be 1/2 what the LFS quoted me. So not only am I saving money, I am eliminating a 4 hr drive (2 trips to the lfs), and gaining experience! :D

New 40 gal breeder $80
4 Glass panes for baffles $32.50
1 1 3/4 hole drilled $6.00
Silicone approx $4

Not bad! :thumbup:

Just saw this... awesome I guess glass is cheaper down south!

pmac90

well, that's a good find!! very excited to see some pics! hehe

ok, just wondering about the loops... I heard a new trick for people with UV's (me also). Run the loop with the UV in it, good stuff. But, NA for you.

Craig Manoukian

Awesome job of researching and planning Doni! Can't wait to see the new project for sure!

After your up and running, you, Gina, and Lisa are welcome to a roadtrip to Marina del Rey for some R&R. The weather is fabulous and there is 30 miles of sunny SoCal beaches just minutes from the marina!