Will's New 130D!

willsy

Great, thanks. Might just get a few more Trochus (if I can locate any...).

I have another question if you don't mind. My live rock is currently sitting on the sand (pushed down onto the bottom of the tank). I would like to add some coral egg crates on stands (for the rock to sit on) so that it has room to breathe underneath. As I don't have any corals yet, do you think this is possible, or would it disrupt the tank too much?

Thanks

Will.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I read in a book that 1 snail or crab per 10 gallons is more than enough and to never use the 1 per gallon rule, as once the problem is under control, the snails and crabs start starving and the crabs start eating the snails. So in theory I already have enough according to this... mmm, not sure

I would recommend at least one snail per 2 gallons - snail are great CUC members

I would think you could push egg create down into the sand in a fairly new tank & put the rocks back on top with out causing a mini cycle by disrupting the sand or causing a toxic gas release.

Mine (and many of us) have out rock pushed down in the sand, not sure it will help with breathing room under the rocks, most use egg create just to keep the rock off the bottom glass I believe.

:clink:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Will - "would like to add some coral egg crates on stands (for the rock to sit on) so that it has room to breathe underneath."

Do you mean keep the bottom of the rocks suspended above the substrate? I've never seen anyone do that.

willsy

Will - "would like to add some coral egg crates on stands (for the rock to sit on) so that it has room to breathe underneath."

Do you mean keep the bottom of the rocks suspended above the substrate? I've never seen anyone do that.

I think they usually do it with PVC pipe or similar. It's so that the bottom of the rocks sit just below the top of the sand instead of being pushed to the bottom of the tank to sit on the glass.

Sounds like I'm probably being OTT. I'll just leave it "as is" if nobody else is doing that.

Thanks for the advice

Will.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very few that I know of have done that, so I really can't offer any advice on it. My rock was just gently pushed through the substrate so that it's touching the bottom.