Will's New 130D!

willsy

Hi,

Just thought I'd start my tank log off... All setup today (finally) and it's looking really good. I'm blown over by how good the thing looks even with nothing in it!

As far as the installation went, everything was pretty easy. The only difficult thing I found was the installation of the power centre. It just seems so difficult to click the top bit into place. I did it in the end though.

Filled it up with tap water to check for leaks etc, and to test all the equipment. All looking good as far as I can see.

So, I headed off to the LFS to get 50 litres of RO water for starters (just before it closed at 5pm). That was fine. Got home and tested my tap water which was at 300ppm... OK, fine. Then tested the LFS water. It was topping 110ppm! WOW!!! I checked my meter with calibration liquid and it's running fine, so these readings are correct! From my research, 0 to about 10 is acceptable. Would I be correct?

Needless to say that I've ordered an RO unit (with 3 ball valves) that I will hook up to my garden tap as my wife doesn't want it under the sink! In a way, I was a bit put out carry this heavy load of water and wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis anyway. I know, I'm lazy, but it's a long hard week at work so I don't want to overburden myself! This is also why I bought an ATO... Anyway, going off piste now...

The RO unit (a D&D 50gpd model) should arrive for next weekend so I can hopefully get it filled with saltwater then. I actually got the D&D model as the dimensions fit nicely under my sink (in case my wife ever lets me plumb it in because of those cold days I will have to endure).

I will take some pics etc, but they are pretty boring at the mo since it's just filled with tapwater!

Cheers

Will.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Will - Great to see the tank thread started! I agree on the power center - I'm down to only 2 cords still in it and it's still tough to close. Surprised that the LFS water is that high a ppm - not very good for water you have to pay for!

imaccat

Good luck with your tank.

Good job on getting the RO unit, doesn't sound like you should be using your LFS water!

willsy

Thanks very much everyone. :)

The latest is that I've decided to get a different RO unit and cancel my order for the D&D one. I've decided on the RO-MAN 50GPD with DI unit. I'm hoping my water pressure is enough, otherwise I'll have to get a pump. But I'll wait and see.

Well, managed to work out Photobucket, and here it is filled with tapwater. So glad I got a white one now... very 70's which is so trendy at the mo I think!

CIMG1803.jpg

CIMG1808-1-1.jpg

Dweezil

I really like the white one. I wasn't sure I would but now that I've seen it, it looks nice. The teletubby in the corner is cute too! ;)

Monkeyboy

:welcomera Very nice 130d. Keep the pics coming, i love to see other peoples tanks progressing and see how mine compares.

vubben

So glad I got a white one now... very 70's which is so trendy at the mo I think!

You're right. Looks like it could be on the set of an AUstin Powers movie. :)
I really like the white. Never came across any but black here in Toronto.

Have Fun

willsy

Finally got my RO water made up this weekend and put it into the tank :). So glad I got a booster pump, it made such a difference....

Problem is, I think I've made a bit of a mistake (already). :(

I read in a book that you can mix the saltwater in the tank (by adding the salt to the tabk directly) when first setting up.

Problem is that I've already added my sand in now (approx 35lb), so I think that if I add the salt now it may settle on the sand bed?

Therefore I thought of these solutions :

1) Add the salt directly to the tank as it wont settle on the sand? Not sure?
2) Take out 25 litres, and mix the salt into this for the entire amount of water in the tank. Then add it back in.
3) Remove the whole lot and mix it up as small batches.

Would I be adding enough for about 110 litres considering the displacement for the equipent and sand. Or do I need to remove the whole lot into measured containers to measure it properly?

Can I ask how I measure the amount of salt I'm adding? Do I just weigh it on some kitchen scales? My salt says to add a certain weight for 24.7 litres of water.

Can I adjust the salanity afterwards by adding a concentrated saltwater solution to increase it and by removing the saltwater and adding plain RO to reduce it?

As you can tell, I'm from the world of freshwater fish!

Thanks

Will.