Wife and I are getting ready to take the plunge

mtamorrow

Hello all,

I am totally new to reefing. I have been reading, studying, and learning a lot over the past 2 months or so.

I think the most important things I have learned so far are (in no particular order):

1 - I need a lot of money to do this
2 - I need more patience than money to do this (or visa versa)
3 - I have learned a lot in 2 months but I still don't know anything
4 - reefing is a beautiful thing that will give me and my wife years of pleasure

So, I am leaning towards the Red Sea Max 250, or the Red Sea Reefer 250 to get started. I can see the benefits of the AIO as well as having the tank and sump and getting various other products / brands to round out the system

I am asking for, and more than happy to hear any advice from experience.

Thanks

Pat24601

I really can't speak knowledgable about tank choices, but I bought the RSM 250 to start and I love it. A great size and let's you be up,and running quickly with a quality system without really having to understand the pros and cons for all the different choices that are out there.

I'd highly recommend an ATO for it, but other than that you are good to go.

mtsully71

and a good plunge it is. I have not had the RSM 250, but I agree with Pat, not to big and not to small when you decide you should have gotten a bigger one. ATO is not essential, but definitely something to think about adding. It will help your skimmer maintain efficiency.

You hit it on the head, patience is your best friend in this hobby. Take your time, do scheduled tank maintenance and I believe you will be successful.

and :rbwwelc:

Sully

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you get a tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

You will have success and the great members of RS will be here to help with any questions !

suspiria2

We just started in the hobby as well. Got a Red Sea S 650 this past weekend. Even with just the rock and water it is quite captivating
The 4 points that you have made are very true, I spent about 2 months researching before finally ordering the tank. There is certainly a lot to learn. Fortunately there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who are very helpful and very patient.

Kman237

I would recommend the Red Sea Reefer 250. You can do a lot more with that tank then the AIO RSM 250. I have the RSM 250 and I'm looking to upgrade to the Reefer when I move.

The Reefer comes with an ATO that helps save some cash. Hanging your own light figure is much better IMO rather then being locked in to the T5 Fixture on the RMS250. I have a nano frag tank with its own LED hanging fixture. I can tell you the difference is BIG! Some people prefer the AIO system. It will really boil down to what you want to do with the tank and how you want the tank to look (rimless or hood-cover).

mtsully71

All great suggestions, main thing to think about is how big a step you want to do and the level of dedication and time you can make for the tank.

And I have a reefer as @Kman237 suggest, 3 words for you, I love it!

DaveK

I've posted "DaveK's Standard Lecture Number 1" so many times that people must be tired of it by now, so I'll just link to it. See - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...g-up-first-saltwater-tank.95197/#post-1303097

Before you get anything, do lots of planning, You many not get everything correct, but you'll have some idea about what your trying to do with the system. There are valid reasons for many different system, but they depend upon what you want to keep in it.

Many people here have recommended equipment selections. Most are generally good selections, but they might not be needed or they might be incorrect depending upon what you plan to keep.

Last edited:

mtamorrow

I really can't speak knowledgable about tank choices, but I bought the RSM 250 to start and I love it. A great size and let's you be up,and running quickly with a quality system without really having to understand the pros and cons for all the different choices that are out there.

I'd highly recommend an ATO for it, but other than that you are good to go.
Thanks Pat24601.....I appreciate the input. I am pretty sure I can go wrong with either.

mtamorrow

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you get a tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

You will have success and the great members of RS will be here to help with any questions !
Thanks nano.......I will be sure to share the build when it happens right here. I can tell by reading a lot on here in only a few days and I'm sure I will get all the help I need!

mtamorrow

We just started in the hobby as well. Got a Red Sea S 650 this past weekend. Even with just the rock and water it is quite captivating
The 4 points that you have made are very true, I spent about 2 months researching before finally ordering the tank. There is certainly a lot to learn. Fortunately there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who are very helpful and very patient.
Thanks! that 650 is huge! I will be sure to follow your build. a lot of red sea owners here make me feel good about getting one

mtamorrow

I would recommend the Red Sea Reefer 250. You can do a lot more with that tank then the AIO RSM 250. I have the RSM 250 and I'm looking to upgrade to the Reefer when I move.

The Reefer comes with an ATO that helps save some cash. Hanging your own light figure is much better IMO rather then being locked in to the T5 Fixture on the RMS250. I have a nano frag tank with its own LED hanging fixture. I can tell you the difference is BIG! Some people prefer the AIO system. It will really boil down to what you want to do with the tank and how you want the tank to look (rimless or hood-cover).
Thanks Kman237. I'm leaning more this way as I know from other thing I do that I will want other options that what come standard on the max.......but you never know!

mtamorrow

I've posted "DaveK's Standard Lecture Number 1" so many times that people must be tired of it by now, so I'll just link to it. See - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...g-up-first-saltwater-tank.95197/#post-1303097

Before you get anything, do lots of planning, You many not get everything correct, but you'll have some idea about what your trying to do with the system. There are valid reasons for many different system, but they depend upon what you want to keep in it.

Many people here have recommended equipment selections. Most are generally good selections, but they might not be needed of they might be incorrect depending upon what you plan to keep.
Thanks DaveK........I've read the link and marked it already. It's really nice having so much knowledge and experience in one place.......and be able to ask questions and get good answers.