Whoosh's new home - aka Cheryl & Ron's 130D

clka

Leigh, at 1650 I noticed some decline, raised it to 1700 with slightly better results, and at that point the snails were definitely being slugs (pun intended). I took it a bit higher over the next couple of days, then the monti digitata was looking less colorful, so decided to give it a break. I don't know if the bryopsis was adapting as in the beginning I went very, very slowly. I'm doing a water change tomorrow, then will test the Mg and try again. I may be a bit more aggressive, but it scares me to take it up more than about 50 a day although most people say up to 100 a day is ok. Wish me luck! There's no way I can manually pull this stuff out.

Cheryl

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I certainly do wish you luck. It is horrible stuff and not sure we can ever fully beat it. I'm tempted to keep my Mg levels at a constant 1500 to try and deter future outbreaks. I've heard that this can help.

Shamus

Good luck with that bryopsis - I think persistence is key. The Kent stuff seemed to get it in the end for me too - I've been dosing to maintain the magnesium and make sure it doesn't come back.

lethal

Hey Steve, I would be interested in what you keep your Mg at now and do you still use Tech M?

Shamus

I'm still using the Tech M - I'm trying to keep the Mg around 1600-1700. I'm dosing about three times a week (may end up cutting that back a bit...I had to go to water changes every other week since my surgery, but soon will get back to weekly water changes now that I'm cleared to lift a bit more weight). I haven't noticed any issues with coral in the tank, so I figured the added magnesium can only help in making more available calcium to the corals.

lethal

Cheers Steve. I was going to keep mine at around 1500 and see how that goes. Do you have any scolys in your tank by any chance? I have a sad one at the moment and was trying to find some probable causes.

Shamus

I saw your Scoly problem on your thread and Terry thinking it might be Mg. Don't have any Scolys - haven't been able to convince the misses to let me drop that much on a piece of coral yet...

I think you could give it a try - might help the Scoly. But from what I've read about the Tech M...the higher Mg dosing is needed not because of the Mg itself, but it's thought there's something else in the Tech M that kills the bryopsis and only gets high enough at higher Mg levels dosing with Tech M (this is why other Mg dosing formulas don't seem to have the same trick). Wouldn't hurt to try 1500 for a bit and see what happens...

N83259

Cheryl: I posted a multi question post with the following question. Terry said you had a Yellow Assessor in your tank and was wondering how it worked out for you (he did say it met an accident, sorry to hear that). Thanks in advance for any info or advice you can give. Thanks - PAT

My Question:

This weekend I saw a customer buy the last Yellow Assessor from a LFS. Wow, what a beautiful fish (but pricey...marked at $85USD I think). Owner said multiples added at the same time are OK, and they're peaceful. Any body out there keep these fish and willing to comment on your experiences? I was wondering if they're hiders or would spend most of their time in the open water column, like a Green Chromis for example. And since they are in the basslet family, do you think they would be compatible w/ a Royal Gramma? I could not find any for sale from on-line fish sellers....any leads there? Seems like an uncommon fish.